• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! upront fee.advice needed (didn't sign anything)

Benqireland

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need help; I stupidly gave my credit card number,after a long hesitation to resortsnationwideinc.com I have cancelled the card immediately, got them back on the phone and requested cancellation...Can anyone advise me what to do next? So mad at being caught after several other refusals, and I do not need to rent out! I use the exchanges fully every year! DOH! :doh:
Is it an expensive lesson, or do they have to refund if I do not sign anything?
Thanks,
B, Ireland

ps their website looks a bit suspicious, but the so does "ripoff report" with all the spelling mistakes!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is a simple rule of thumb here - ANYONE who charges a large upfront fee is a scammer - period.

If you canceled the card before you were charged you should be OK. I wouldn't have anything else to do with them. You don't owe them an explanation or anything else!

Benqireland

Reaction score
cancelled transaction

it went through within 10 minutes, but Visa say I have a legitimate case for cancellation as I have reported immediately..if RIC don't refund they will take action. I will of course, using your good advice take note of myfloridalegal's website, the Attorney General..I feel so stupid, but your members' advice is invaluable...wish I had gone here first! Would you believe I had just called up TUG's site while the guy was hanging up!

Benqireland

Reaction score
VISA customer service

it went through within 10 minutes, but Visa say I have a legitimate case for cancellation as I have reported immediately..if RIC don't refund they will take action. I will of course, using your good advice take note of myfloridalegal's website, the Attorney General..I feel so stupid, but your members' advice is invaluable...wish I had gone here first! Would you believe I had just called up TUG's site while the guy was hanging up!

update: fax is engaged permanently so I cannot cancel, left on hold for over 10 minutes, would not agree to cancel, VISA customer service so far say they cannot reverse transaction as they feel its ia "LEGITIMATE SERVICE" :eek:
Not hopeful about a refund though requested 9 times by phone, in writing and attempted fax. Am annoyed at VISA too, thought they would protect me more.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
There's quite a few of us that wish we had known of this place first...

Sorry you are learning that lesson the hard way.

Benqireland

Reaction score
Resolved

There's quite a few of us that wish we had known of this place first...

Sorry you are learning that lesson the hard way.

LESSON LEARNED; though I though some readers may have helped by contributing! The company gave me a full refund today, after I copied everything to the AG office, the Visa office, and to my bank.

SO WHY DO STARWOOD AND OTHERS NOT REMIND US REPEATEDLY ABOUT THESE RISKS? Is it because some are complicit in the contact detals? is it just cos they don't give a rats, one thing for sure, this site and others needs to remind our parent companies again and again about not accepting unaccredited re-sellers or renters. To be fair, this company refunded almost immediately on receipt of the fax...12 hours after initial contact.Yes you can preach "sign nothing" and preach "told you so" an preach "never give money up front"..."never give you c-card number".. but we need to act, and inform our parent companies, Starwood, SPG, SVO, Sheraton, etc that this risk is not acceptable, and is trapping a lot of people who are vulnerable, or simply too trusting. Lets all write to our ownership organisations, and give a few positive suggestions along with helpful advice. I thank all who provided links, especially the moderators, and will join up..once I get a new credit card!:p I for one like to trust people and have a litttle faith in their good nature..I will not let thieves make me change...bad enough out there!
Brendan

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
SO WHY DO STARWOOD AND OTHERS NOT REMIND US REPEATEDLY ABOUT THESE RISKS?

Because it is YOUR responsibility to be an educated consumer. It is NOT someone else's responsibility to protect you. You must protect yourself like you just did. If we all practiced and learned how to do that, there would be far fewer scammers.

By the way, Good job protecting yourself.