• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation Internationale ownerships are now worthless

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
So, for the two bed room unit in high season the cost is $7.08 x 129.5 points = $916.86 for a week.

Does this seem like a high MF to anyone other than me ? Our two bed eagle crest is $630.00, two bed VDP is $580.00 and Worldmark units of the same size in red season are aprox $700.00 per week.

VI resorts that I have visited are a bit older or share inventory in buildings with other time share owners.

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo
easyrider--You're right. The mntc fees are higher for V.I. than WM, especially for higher point packages. WM mtns fees are on a sliding scale, so the more points you own, the less the mtnc fee is per point. And yes, many TS's have lower mtnc fees than V.I. To me, the VALUE of V.I. is the ability to book less-than-week-long vacations up to a year out at most resorts. Along with that, some resorts require fewer points Sun-Thurs. I typically book three days in a 1-bdrm and three days in a family-2bdrm during shoulder season (either back to back or with a hotel stay in between) and then 5 days in a studio during prime season (I usually have to rent a couple of points toward the 5th night). That gives me 11 nights for my 105 points. You do the math. I don't think it is a bad deal. If I only did full-week stays, then V.I. would not be a very good value. However, for drive-to vacations, I don't want or need a seven-day stay. BTW, the shoulder season calendar with V.I. is very generous. You're not talking February at the coast.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks you, EJC, for the points information, and also thanks to jbercu for emailing me information on the VI prestige package.

It does sound that you get good value out of the VI MFs, one needs to do some midweek or shoulder stays. The MFs for peak, full-season stays are a bit high -- although not bad for the Hawaii resorts, compared to other Hawaii MFs.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
In Dollars & Cents, All My Timeshares Are Worthless.

Fortunately, I bought my timeshares -- resale -- only for use & enjoyment & not for estate preservation or capital appreciation.

In 2002, I paid $3,500 in good green money for an extremely nice timeshare that today can be obtained el freebo.

That's right, according to an entry today on the resort's Yahoo "group," the owner is offering to give it away scot free. The recipient pays only closing & resort transfer costs -- & the donor is even willing to spring for some of that.

Owning that timeshare, or virtually any timeshare, as a thing of monetary value no longer makes any sense, if it ever did. And under current market conditions, paying full freight for any timeshare anywhere is worse than questionable.

What still makes loads of sense, however, is (resale) timeshare vacationing as a way of enjoying spacious, luxury holiday accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
area.
I have purchased in the last several months some very nice GC 5* Hawaii properties for next to nothing. 2 weeks of A Kona Coast II winter float for $1.25 ( $625.25 all in) including this years use. :cheer: :cheer:

There are some real bargains , there is an ocean front Poipu at the Point for a buy it now of $299 plus $795 escrow,closing and transfer.:eek: :eek:

It is a great time to be a buyer, not so good to be a seller.:doh: :bawl:

fwiw,

Greg

Yes the prices are cheap but aren't the maintenance fees high (I have heard up tp $2k / week). Unless you are only travelling in prime time it is much cheaper to get last minute getaways or even rent and then you are not burdened with all the costs assocaited with a timeshare (and especailly the special assessments).

jbercu

TUG Member
Reaction score
VI Instant Exchange Program

VI also has a great Instant exchange program.
The Point at Poipu 2 bedroom almost any week of the year – 112 points * 7.08 = $793
Exchange and booking fee $155
Total cost = $948
Not dealing with DRI, points, deeds, lawsuits - Priceless

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How low can you go??

Just completed auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230531712772

Premier membership, 91 points even years EOY with a July 1, 2010 anniversary date, and the 91 points from 2010 in the bank, which can be rolled over for a couple of more years. Buyer pays closing cost, so final price is bid + $645 annual fees for those 91 points in the bank.

No reserve, $1 opening bid. And the auction expires with no bids.

So now we've reached a point where a VI membership on the resale market won't even sell for the annual fees.

To sell a VI membership right now, the deal needs to include at least one year of banked points, with the seller eating some part of the annual fee for those banked points.

Looking at it slightly differently,right now prices are based solely on whatever usage rights come in the bank with the membership, and those have to be discounted below annual fees. Which means that buyers are actually assigning a negative value to the ownership interest.

Which raises the issue of whether premier memberships, which don't expire, are actually a liability in the curernt market.

Right now I think that if I were looking at buying into VI, a membership that expires in about 15 years would be more valuable to me than a perpetual membership. If they were contracts with similar terms and similar amounts of points in the bank and available for the same price, I would take the one that didn't create a perpetual long-term obligation.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Right now I think that if I were looking at buying into VI, a membership that expires in about 15 years would be more valuable to me than a perpetual membership. If they were contracts with similar terms and similar amounts of points in the bank and available for the same price, I would take the one that didn't create a perpetual long-term obligation.

While I was looking at VI opportunities tonight I found this old thread. Anyway, thank you for posting this way back when. I did end up purchasing a decent VI rtu that expires in a few more years. I did get 182 points usage free. I did get free closing. We have used VI mostly for Hawaii and Mazatlan with our rooms usually very close to the ocean. I have taken advantage of other VI programs like the direct deposit to deposit some of my weeks for points. I have used points to acquire weeks deposited by others.

So far, we are pretty happy with this membership.

Bill

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I had to get to the last post before realizing this is from 9 years ago.

Obviously VI has stayed viable and has many happy owners. It’s one of the few TS with an elite/prestige program with value, IMHO. Although a majority of our ownership is secondary market we ended up Prestige Platinum (grandfathering of ownership before the Prestige program started).

I have never seen benefits like these elsewhere.

Extra points annually equal to 10% of my ownership with no MF.

Bonus time booking at 40 days out at half the going rate.

Half off all point bookings at 60 days out.

And much more.