• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

US residents worried about buying from Europeans?

Ian.W

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi folks .. I've been advertising our week at Legacy Vacation Club (Spas) in Kissimmee, on and off, for over a year - and have had a few replies. However, when I send my contact details (we live in Scotland, UK) the
contact invariably stops dead. This despite my ad' being a 'bargain basement' and the transfer to be handled by a US-based agent (I'm looking at using JRA Services, as they're recognized by TUG users). There would be no transfer of funds from the buyer to me, as the bargain basement price would not cover the transfer costs (to be borne by me) so there's no possibility of any 'scam'. The only thing I can think of is that people are frightened off by our being in Europe, as resort details; week; location etc etc are all clear from the ad'.
Any suggestions welcome!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi folks .. I've been advertising our week at Legacy Vacation Club (Spas) in Kissimmee, on and off, for over a year - and have had a few replies. However, when I send my contact details (we live in Scotland, UK) the
contact invariably stops dead. This despite my ad' being a 'bargain basement' and the transfer to be handled by a US-based agent (I'm looking at using JRA Services, as they're recognized by TUG users). There would be no transfer of funds from the buyer to me, as the bargain basement price would not cover the transfer costs (to be borne by me) so there's no possibility of any 'scam'. The only thing I can think of is that people are frightened off by our being in Europe, as resort details; week; location etc etc are all clear from the ad'.
Any suggestions welcome!

My thoughts:

1. First, I respectfully suggest that you not use your actual email address as your TUG user name (as you appear to currently be doing), unless you want to receive unsolicited and unwelcome emails, almost certainly including some from would-be scammers. TUG members and participants are generally honest and trustworthy folks, but others of ill intent certainly also "lurk" and silently "visit" this site. Don't openly invite such people to so easily contact you directly.

2. Are you making it abundantly clear in your advertising that all closing details will be handled by JRA Services, a respected and long established closing entity in Florida and that you are paying those costs yourself (and presumably the separate Legacy-imposed transfer fee as well, which I believe is $150)?

3. Last but not least, Legacy Vacation Club (formerly known as Celebrity Resorts before a 2009 bankruptcy filing and reemergence as Legacy Vacation Club) does not exactly enjoy a stellar reputation among knowledgeable folks inhabiting Planet Timeshare. It might be that prospective recipients do some online research on Legacy Vacation Club and discover some information and history and owner reports that dissuade those prospective recipients from proceeding any further with acquiring your Legacy Vacation Club timeshare --- even for free.

The above observations, speculations and personal opinions aside, I wish you luck in parting company with the Myers bunch and Legacy Vacation Club.

P.S. I sincerely doubt that any informed buyer particularly cares about the country of residency of the seller since all closing details must and will necessarily occur in the U.S.A. where the timeshare is actually located anyhow. The only potential "wrinkle" might be some unavoidable delay arising from the fact that you as seller (grantor) will have to affix your notarized signature on a new deed, regardless of who prepares that new deed. Accordingly, while a new unsigned deed can be sent to you electronically as an attachment, you will then still have to obtain the required signature notarization before sending the original signed document back "across the pond" for processing (i.e., official recording in the appropriate FL County and forwarding of a copy of the new recorded instrument to the resort, along with any Legacy-mandated "transfer fee", to finalize the transfer).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ian.W

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for that Theo - I thought I'd followed the process correctly to register - and now managed to 'fix' with the expeditious help of the webmaster :)

I've amended my latest selling post (currently pending) to be more clear about 'all closing and transfer costs' to be met by me.

We've had this unit for around 20 years and enjoyed many vacations there (and exchanges elsewhere) with, has to be said, minimal problems regardless of management (though have read, in the past, of apparent issues). It did have a 'extreme makeover' (which we and others paid for) with Celebrity - and Legacy recently did an upgrade to our (and other) units, but without asking for any money from us.

Now just had to apply for renewal of driving licence as approaching 70 - a reminder that flying cattle-class, overnight on return from the US, is not as bearable as it used to be!

Thanks again for pointers.
Ian

Last edited: