• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering buying Wyndham

Reaction score
I am a DVC member and love my Disney timeshare. I own at Animal Kingdom and use our points for when we go to Florida or Hawaii (Aulani). I live on the West Coast of Canada, near Vancouver. We love Southern California and go there often. Sure we want to go to Disneyland often too, but it doesn't always have to be a Disney trip. I noticed that there are Wyndham resorts in Oceanside, San Diego, Anaheim and San Francisco. I am looking at buying from ebay. A friend of mine did it and had a good experience from buying a Wyndham contract. So my primary reason to buying more timeshare (other than Disney) is for the ability to stay places in California when we visit since we love it there so much. Anyone have experience with buying from ebay and any advise for me with Wyndham? I am trying to do a lot of research. I understand how a timeshare works since I own at Disney, but I am sure each company is a little different on how they do things.

Stefani

hncgregoraz

Reaction score
I would suggest looking at worldmark if you are looking at the west coast.

Harry

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 4 contracts on ebay and there's someone here that probably bought hundreds, but you want to deal with good sellers mentioned on this site.

As another poster suggested, Wyndham isn't strong in the west. More important, if you want to stay in the resorts that you mentioned in prime season, it might be best to own a contract at your favored resort for reservation priority. Study the Wyndham board here before you get stuck with something that won't meet your needs.

Reaction score
I bought 4 contracts on ebay and there's someone here that probably bought hundreds, but you want to deal with good sellers mentioned on this site.

As another poster suggested, Wyndham isn't strong in the west. More important, if you want to stay in the resorts that you mentioned in prime season, it might be best to own a contract at your favored resort for reservation priority. Study the Wyndham board here before you get stuck with something that won't meet your needs.

Good advise, thanks.

Stefani

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I understand Wyndham bought WorldMark so it is all under the same umbrella...or did I misunderstand that.

Stefani

They have the same parent company, but for the most part are operated as completely separate entities.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I understand Wyndham bought WorldMark so it is all under the same umbrella...or did I misunderstand that.

Stefani

They are two separate systems, managed by the heavy-handed Wyndham brand.

I would personally buy WorldMark for the resorts in California, and WorldMark is an easy system to use and understand, plus you would have good trading power through Interval International.

With WorldMark, I keep having to buy more housekeeping, which is annoying as a resale buyer. Staying a few nights at a time has its disadvantages. You get one housekeeping for every 10K you own. It's close to $100 for additional housekeeping credits.

It is still a great system, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat, but resale is the only way to go.

Reaction score
They are two separate systems, managed by the heavy-handed Wyndham brand.

I would personally buy WorldMark for the resorts in California, and WorldMark is an easy system to use and understand, plus you would have good trading power through Interval International.

With WorldMark, I keep having to buy more housekeeping, which is annoying as a resale buyer. Staying a few nights at a time has its disadvantages. You get one housekeeping for every 10K you own. It's close to $100 for additional housekeeping credits.

It is still a great system, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat, but resale is the only way to go.

My friend was trying to explain to me the housekeeping thing. I am used to DVC which only gives you housekeeping on the 4th day, which doesn't matter to me...I am quite capable to do my own laundry and do my own dishes. I will have to research the housekeeping thing a bit. Do we have to have housekeeping?

Stefani

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So..... Housekeeping or HKT's

You get 1 per 10k of points. After that, you pay. Variable scale. see table below. You can NOT rent HKT's anymore. Changed this year.

You use 1 HKT every time you book a reservation. 1 day stay=1 HKT. 30 day stay=1 HKT.

Book 3 reservations (Mon, Tue, then Fri Sat, then find and book Wed-thur) that are all at the same resort and same consecutive days? Call and they will make it 1 HKT. Make sense? Every stay=1 HKT for all the consecutive days. Take a break? (2 days, checkout, come back 1 day later?) You will owe an HKT. It's simple and doesn't have to make sense. You can't decline. If you are splitting a week with another couple, you could ask to have an extra housekeeping (whatever resort you're at) and they'll ask for $$$.

But, some reservation types (let's not complicate things) made for cash (special promotional rates of .07 per point---CASH) are priced with the HKT included--for any length of stay.

So, you may end up buying some HKT's or may end up making special bookings at .07 cents per point including the HKT.

BTW, the maintenance fees work out to about 7-10 cents a point for a good value contract.

Worldmark exchanges in both II and RCI and can get GREAT deals on short notice reservations (<59 on II and <45 on RCI) and exchanges are just 4000 points (plus 1 HKT!)

They have terrific access to Canadian resorts as well. IMHO

Housekeeping Fees
Unit Types
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$56.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hotel Room, Studio Hotel and Studio Compact style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$64.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Studio Standard, Plus, Deluxe, Cottage and Loft style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$72.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Studio Presidential style units
1 Bedroom Hotel and Compact style units
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$83.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1 Bedroom Suite, Standard, Plus, Deluxe, Cottage and Loft style units 2 Bedroom Hotel and Compact style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$94.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1 Bedroom Penthouse and Presidential style units
2 Bedroom Suite, Standard, Plus, Deluxe and Loft style units
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$100.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2 Bedroom Chalet style units 3 Bedroom Standard, Plus, and Deluxe style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$111.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3 Bedroom Chalet and 4 Bedroom Deluxe units[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
Reaction score
So..... Housekeeping or HKT's

You get 1 per 10k of points. After that, you pay. Variable scale. see table below. You can NOT rent HKT's anymore. Changed this year.

You use 1 HKT every time you book a reservation. 1 day stay=1 HKT. 30 day stay=1 HKT.

Book 3 reservations (Mon, Tue, then Fri Sat, then find and book Wed-thur) that are all at the same resort and same consecutive days? Call and they will make it 1 HKT. Make sense? Every stay=1 HKT for all the consecutive days. Take a break? (2 days, checkout, come back 1 day later?) You will owe an HKT. It's simple and doesn't have to make sense. You can't decline. If you are splitting a week with another couple, you could ask to have an extra housekeeping (whatever resort you're at) and they'll ask for $$$.

But, some reservation types (let's not complicate things) made for cash (special promotional rates of .07 per point---CASH) are priced with the HKT included--for any length of stay.

So, you may end up buying some HKT's or may end up making special bookings at .07 cents per point including the HKT.

BTW, the maintenance fees work out to about 7-10 cents a point for a good value contract.

Worldmark exchanges in both II and RCI and can get GREAT deals on short notice reservations (<59 on II and <45 on RCI) and exchanges are just 4000 points (plus 1 HKT!)

They have terrific access to Canadian resorts as well. IMHO

Housekeeping Fees
Unit Types
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$56.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hotel Room, Studio Hotel and Studio Compact style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$64.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Studio Standard, Plus, Deluxe, Cottage and Loft style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$72.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Studio Presidential style units
1 Bedroom Hotel and Compact style units
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$83.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1 Bedroom Suite, Standard, Plus, Deluxe, Cottage and Loft style units 2 Bedroom Hotel and Compact style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$94.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1 Bedroom Penthouse and Presidential style units
2 Bedroom Suite, Standard, Plus, Deluxe and Loft style units
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$100.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2 Bedroom Chalet style units 3 Bedroom Standard, Plus, and Deluxe style units [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]$111.00 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3 Bedroom Chalet and 4 Bedroom Deluxe units[/FONT][/FONT]

I live in Canada...don't want to vacation there LOL

Stefani

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My friend was trying to explain to me the housekeeping thing. I am used to DVC which only gives you housekeeping on the 4th day, which doesn't matter to me...I am quite capable to do my own laundry and do my own dishes. I will have to research the housekeeping thing a bit. Do we have to have housekeeping?

Stefani

It's the housekeeping at the end of the stay. You get one per 10K. If you use 10K in three different visits, you have to get two more housekeeping because the unit has to be cleaned after each stay. The next person is not going to trust that you cleaned the place. ;)

Reaction score
It's the housekeeping at the end of the stay. You get one per 10K. If you use 10K in three different visits, you have to get two more housekeeping because the unit has to be cleaned after each stay. The next person is not going to trust that you cleaned the place. ;)

and I wouldn't clean it well enough for someone else either LOL. With DVC your "housekeeping" at the end of stay in included :) This is why I am doing all my research...so that I am prepared and have no surprises.

Stefani

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
and I wouldn't clean it well enough for someone else either LOL. With DVC your "housekeeping" at the end of stay in included :) This is why I am doing all my research...so that I am prepared and have no surprises.

Stefani

We own Disney points as well and keep waiting for that shoe to drop. I assume at some point, Disney will consider housekeeping fees to keep people from staying just one night. I can see free housekeeping for a 5-7 night stay, and a fee for shorter stays. I abuse Disney a bit. We stay in one bedrooms at OKW for 1-2 nights because we can get lower airfare on a weekday over a weekend, then we check into our stays at the Marriott for the full week or weeks. Sometimes we end our stays with an OKW stay too, same kind of thing.

Disney is oh so nice about short stays.

Reaction score
We own Disney points as well and keep waiting for that shoe to drop. I assume at some point, Disney will consider housekeeping fees to keep people from staying just one night. I can see free housekeeping for a 5-7 night stay, and a fee for shorter stays. I abuse Disney a bit. We stay in one bedrooms at OKW for 1-2 nights because we can get lower airfare on a weekday over a weekend, then we check into our stays at the Marriott for the full week or weeks. Sometimes we end our stays with an OKW stay too, same kind of thing.

Disney is oh so nice about short stays.

Very good point about the short stays at Disney...that is a lot of housekeeping. We love our DVC...and it works great for our Florida or Hawaii stays...but want something with more availability for our California stays which we do often because we LOVE Southern California.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Look at who has the resorts you want. I would check Worldmark (worldmarktheclub.com/resorts) and marriott for CA resorts. Marriott is higher quality and higher maintenance fees. Worldmark is middle quality without many resort facilities. They have a pool and workout room and a few activities, but not much. Marriott will have more onsite activities and more of a resort feel.

I would seriously question buying Wyndham. See these ongoing threads:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246453

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245656

Worldmark is managed by Wyndham and they have taken over the Board of Directors but WM has stronger bylaws than Wyndham. However, the Wyndham controlled BOD is trying to weaken those bylaws and make WM more like Wyndham. Given what they are doing to Wyndham owners, I hesitate to recommend any Wyndham managed system (which also includes Shell).

Given the cautions above, Worldmark makes sense for your situation. You can stay at the resorts in WA and OR on your way south to CA. Each system has their own ins and outs but it really boils down to who has the resorts in the locations you want and the quality that you want.

Sue

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the Shell Resort system? I have some Shell points which I use to visit my West Coast relatives....instead of expanding into Worldmark (and having all my timeshare ownership under one corporate logo.

Then Wyndham brought the Shell system. Still like the Shell resorts ... great for Spring training in AZ. ;)

Reaction score
Look at who has the resorts you want. I would check Worldmark (worldmarktheclub.com/resorts) and marriott for CA resorts. Marriott is higher quality and higher maintenance fees. Worldmark is middle quality without many resort facilities. They have a pool and workout room and a few activities, but not much. Marriott will have more onsite activities and more of a resort feel.

I would seriously question buying Wyndham. See these ongoing threads:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246453

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245656

Worldmark is managed by Wyndham and they have taken over the Board of Directors but WM has stronger bylaws than Wyndham. However, the Wyndham controlled BOD is trying to weaken those bylaws and make WM more like Wyndham. Given what they are doing to Wyndham owners, I hesitate to recommend any Wyndham managed system (which also includes Shell).

Given the cautions above, Worldmark makes sense for your situation. You can stay at the resorts in WA and OR on your way south to CA. Each system has their own ins and outs but it really boils down to who has the resorts in the locations you want and the quality that you want.

Sue

We have driven from Vancouver to San Diego...I don't need to do that again LOL. It is so cheap to fly out of Seattle or Bellingham, that most of our trips south will be via an airplane...goes faster that way too :)

I am looking at Worldmark, but they sure seem to be a lot higher in price for buying than Wyndham.

Stefani

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)