• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Funny email from Marriott Re Fairways Pool Rehab

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
When I was a kid I would swim in any pool regardless of temperature. We had a pool but I was a fish. I literally could not keep myself out of water, even decorative fountains etc. I had to get in them.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
She said they'll have a water feature running 24 hours a day to keep the pool from freezing over.

This sounds ridiculous! If a pool is cold enough to freeze over without a water feature then swimmers would be getting hypothermia.

I've been swimming many times at resorts when it's snowing out. Nothing better than a dip in the pool and beer in the hot tub after a day of skiing!

Sullco2

Reaction score
NJ has outdoor heated pools--they're great.

Well over a decade ago I belonged to the health club at the mountainside resort in Sussex County that has gone through a few ownerships so I don't know what it's called now. Maybe Mountain Creek.

Anyway their pool was an indoor/outdoor one with a heavy plastic flap/door to swim between the two portions. The outdoor pool in the dead of winter was great--always comfortable and fun to tilt your head up to the stars and taste a few snow flakes.

So, assuming they have figured out how to heat the outdoor pool a FV, this should work.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in LI and like AC right off the ocean so it can be slightly less cold. When I read the email, I did not found the problem but I did say to myself, are they ***king kidding. I would guess a large portion of the population would not think a heated pool in NJ during November is a viable replacement option for an indoor pool.

I stayed at the Fairways New Years in 2013. I used the indoor pool a couple of times with my wife after going for massages. Most timeshares that have indoor pools are not very conducive for adult enjoyment and mainly to serve kids.

As kids would say to me ... "suck it up and jump in"

My thoughts exactly. NJ folks do NOT swim in outdoor pools in the winter. Now if our governor would like to come down and take a dip in our outdoor pool then I would ante up and jump in with him . I would also pay to see that.:rofl:

The pools at the Elizabeth Arden Spa are actually more like hot tub/mineral pools. Three or four in total.
It will be really nice to use outdoors in November. And the adjacent indoor hotel pool will also be available to you.. ... You can go from the outdoor heated pools to the spa jacuzzi and steam rooms. Sounds good to me.

So I think the email is accurate and you will have a nice time during your visit.

As a PS, We keep our hot tub open in eastern LI until Christmas and only close it because we are away a lot after that.

I love the Elizabeth Arden pool. I love the design of it. I only remember two hot tubs though. One at the entrance and one in the back.

Am I missing something. Will the Seaview Country Club be open to us. Otherwise, I don't know which steam rooms and saunas you are talking about. I thought the ones at the Red Door Spa are for paying Spa guests.

I'll be curious whether it gets much use. Besides this Indian Summer that AC is apparently experiencing, am I the only one that's amused by an open pool that requires an operating water feature to prevent it from icing over?

As another poster pointed out, if the water temp is warm enough, the pool won't freeze over. But I still contend that swimming in NJ in the winter under any circumstances seems a little nuts to me. I know! It must be a Jersey thing.

Swimming when it's 50 outside is nuts? I guess one person's odd is another person's normal.

I've been visiting ski resorts in winter for decades. Everyone swims in the heated (70+ degree) pools, and hot tubs, when its snowing on you. Now when it gets down around zero, you better have your boots, sweats and jackets ready after you get out!

Icydog, you've never visited an alpine resort in winter?

rnotl_phototour41.jpg

Nope i have never gone swimming in the winter nor have I gone to an Alpine Resort. What do you do? Do you wear a winter coat to the pool?

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been in the outdoor pool in CO in the winter. It is VERY heated.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been in the outdoor pool in CO in the winter. It is VERY heated.

How do you get from place to place? Do you wear a coat over your bathing suit??

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We swim in outdoor pools all the time when skiing. The snow is all piled up around them and the steam is coming off....

Perfectly fine as long as you don't put your head underwater and if you have to take a walk back indoors, bare feet it can be cold.

But, many ski resorts connect the indoor and outdoor pool and in between they have for lack of a better word a heavy curtain between the two so you can swim from inside to outside.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you get from place to place? Do you wear a coat over your bathing suit??

Put shoes on to walk thru snow on the deck and take a robe to get you back inside. My kids liked it better than me! It is really beautiful though, snow falling as you swim.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I love the Elizabeth Arden pool. I love the design of it. I only remember two hot tubs though. One at the entrance and one in the back.

Am I missing something. Will the Seaview Country Club be open to us. Otherwise, I don't know which steam rooms and saunas you are talking about. I thought the ones at the Red Door Spa are for paying Spa guests.

As another poster pointed out, if the water temp is warm enough, the pool won't freeze over. But I still contend that swimming in NJ in the winter under any circumstances seems a little nuts to me. I know! It must be a Jersey thing.

Nope i have never gone swimming in the winter nor have I gone to an Alpine Resort. What do you do? Do you wear a winter coat to the pool?
The hotel is no longer branded as Marriott.
But yes, they will allow you access to the hotel indoor pool.

As a guest at Fairway villas , you have day use of the Elixabeth Arden Red Door Salin and spa facilities. You can check in at. The desk, get a locker and robe, use the shower/bath, steam room, sauna and indoor hot tub/plunge pool and the outside adult only spa pool and hot tubs.

Wearing your swim suit and your cozy robe, you will walk outside and use the heated pools/hot tub.

On the other hand, this doesn't seem as if it is your "thing" so perhaps you would be happier using the indoor pool over at the hotel. Bring your swim things in your beach bag and get changed in the locker room at the hotel.

Enjoy your stay. :hi: