• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVCI owner services fail

Sullco2

Reaction score
As an owner of Custom House I get to make short stay reservations. I made several this year and when something came up and I had to cancel a two day August stay. I called them, had the conversation, asked if I had a fee to pay, was told "No" and hung up satisfied that I had made the cancellation.

Weeks later I called to use those two days and was told that "No, you did not cancel them." After providing research including phone records of my call to their toll free number on the date I cancelled and after several discussions with lower lever staff, I finally was told by an Owner Services person the REAL REASON I lost my days.

The sixty-day cancellation rule meant I couldn't cancel within 60 days. I am very familiar with most aspects of this industry, but had lost sight of this one. What didn't happen though, was that Owner Services made no attempt to tell me that I couldn't cancel those days because of the rule. Clearly the rep didn't know the rule and no one in Owner Services did anything to alert me to the potential loss of the days. As I stated, I hung up thinking I had successfully made the cancellation.

Well, you know the result...no matter how many levels I went up the chain MVCI refused to reinstate the two days. I told them that if the agent had told me I was not able to cancel I would have rented them out (on TUG, for example) or otherwise used them. But that never happened.

As a "gesture of good will" they finally offered to put 10,000 points in our account.

I am posting this as a warning that Owner Services not only isn't fully capable, but that they have no intention of making up for their errors.

From now on I will religiously badger them for ID, citations of rules, etc. And you might consider doing the same.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Marriott doesn't send an email confirmation for cancellations for your records?

Sent from my iPad

Sullco2

Reaction score
I was (formerly) so confident in Owner Services that I never even thought about looking for it after I hung up the phone. Plus we were on our way out of the country that afternoon , etc. etc.

But indeed they do.

However, in this case they didn't because they didn't cancel it.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The sixty-day cancellation rule meant I couldn't cancel within 60 days. I am very familiar with most aspects of this industry, but had lost sight of this one. What didn't happen though, was that Owner Services made no attempt to tell me that I couldn't cancel those days because of the rule. As a "gesture of good will" they finally offered to put 10,000 points in our account.

They should have told you for sure but that is a very common element of the Marriott timeshare program and has been for years. I'd be happy with the 10,000 points and take it as a lesson learned.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having owned Marriott timeshares since 1990 I have learned a number of things about the owner services department. They do screw up at various levels. I always get the name and direct extension number of the rep I have dealt with. If the issue arises while I am on the phone I insist on speaking to a supervisor and I will stay on the phone until there is some resolution. If I realize what has happened after the fact I at least have a name, etc to give to a supervisor.
I also now buy the travel insurance that covers all of my timeshare stays for a full year. We have not had to use it, but in your case it would have compensated you for the 2 days. As Joe said, at this point take the 10,000 points and move on.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I also now buy the travel insurance that covers all of my timeshare stays for a full year. We have not had to use it, but in your case it would have compensated you for the 2 days.

Travel insurance would only have compensated for the 2 days if the cancellation was for a covered reason, and in his post the OP did not state the reason he had to cancel.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is also wise to check your Marriott.com account after making a reservation and cancelling as the reservation should have disappeared rather quickly from your upcoming reservations on Marriott.com. I have found though that the online my-vacationclub.com reservation will continue to show the reservation for a day or two.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It is also wise to check your Marriott.com account after making a reservation and cancelling as the reservation should have disappeared rather quickly from your upcoming reservations on Marriott.com. I have found though that the online my-vacationclub.com reservation will continue to show the reservation for a day or two.

When you are on the My Reservations listing page in your Marriott.com account, there is even a tab for "Canceled" reservation. clicking on that will show you the original confirmation number, as well as the cancellation number.

DanaTom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like you, I too would have assumed all was taken care of. But, thanks to TUG and the education I've gotten on here, I know situations such as yours does happen. In fact, it happens at times at all companies. So, I get confirmation#s and on II, as the others here state to do, I always do a followup on my account records. (What I don't like it that it usually takes a day or two to show up).

At least you got 10,000 points. What does that do, cover 1/3rd or 1/4th of one night?

:hi:

I was (formerly) so confident in Owner Services that I never even thought about looking for it after I hung up the phone. Plus we were on our way out of the country that afternoon , etc. etc.

But indeed they do.

However, in this case they didn't because they didn't cancel it.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found over the years that MVCI is a bit more rigid when you deal with them, than Marriott customer service. This is just my experience though. I have had many a time when I have contacted MVCI and they don't ever get back to me. Not so with Marriott.

Sullco2

Reaction score
Thanks to you all. Lesson learned--certainly the hard way.

I'll be watching them like the proverbial hawk.

10,000 points is in the category of nominal courtesy gesture, that's for sure. Given the hotel rate in effect on the Marriott site for those days, one way to establish the value places my loss at almost $900. Of course the MVCI insurance policy, if it would have covered it at all, reimburses the fraction of the MF that your lost days represent. Less than a quarter of the hotel value.

The other way to look at this is that I've now established the "mental value" of the week: $2800 +

It pays to use every day of your ownership and to pay total attention to the details. Luckily I paid almost nothing for this membership on the secondary market.

I'll make it up.