• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Beachside Marriott

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently at this property which looks to be built for Timeshare Sales. It is run as a hotel. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Marriott ever tried to sell this property as a timeshare?

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
The property originally was being sold as condos actually - at a premium. Marriott only sold a few before the economy tanked. So, they turned it into a hotel. To my knowledge they bought the owners out.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. I have never seen Sub Zero refrigerators in a timeshare before. Thanks for the info.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bastroum,

We will be there in August, just one night in a 3 bedroom unit. How do you like it there? You really have to pay for parking, read at on Marriott website? How is the beach?

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the time of original construction, the property was developed as an independent timeshare/condo - since its location on the island is not the greatest, units didn't sell too well. Then Marriott "acquired" the property and the Marriott flag was raised - not sure if Marriott actually bought the property or just manages it. While it is run as a hotel, private individuals do own various units on the property - expect some use them as 2nd homes while others let Marriott rent them out on a nightly basis. I know there where multiple units for sale for a couple of years ago - a little pricey, but they are wonderful units. If the property was in Old Town, they be priced significantly higher. Once the convention center gets built across the street from Beachside, the location will work great for those going to KW for a convention.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
BDH,

You are right - Marriott did not own the original property and weren't the ones who sold units. I stated that incorrectly in my post.

Marriott acquired the property when the economy tanked and turned it into a hotel. I thought they bought out the original owners of any units but it sounds like that isn't the case.

It's a great property and we plan to stay there at some point in the future. We love Key West.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We stayed there one night in a studio as an add-on to my Hyatt timeshare. We loved it and they have a free shuttle to Duval. Took a peek at the rest of the lock off and it was beautiful. The pool was fantastic and a nice little beach as well.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 1 bedroom units are wonderful. We have a beatiful Ocean Front View. The beach isn't really a beach, just sand that runs up to a concrete wall that doesn't allow you to go into the water. The pool area is slightly better than a typical timeshare. The bar & restaurant at the pool is above average. The shuttle to Duval St is great. Without the shuttle I would not stay at the property. Yes, they do charge for parking.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We stayed there for one night in October last year, before we checked into our B&B in old town. It was a last minute trip to Key West and we were only able to get a couple nights at our B&B. We had planned to spend that first night in south Florida, but weren't tired and just kept driving until we got to Key West. I found a great deal online for Marriott Beachside and we showed up around 11:30 p.m. without a reservation. They did not charge us for parking. I don't know if it was an oversight or because we arrived late and only stayed one night. Either way, it was a pleasant surprise. I loved the resort and would happily stay there again, but only for a short stay or to add on a night or two in addition to a longer vacation in old town. The ONLY thing I could find fault with is the location -- it's not in old town and that's where we prefer to be.

I don't know of any other resort in new town that charges for parking, though, so I'm not sure why they do there.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Why would they not make this place an MVCD resort and place it in the trust???? A nice bone to throw for Trust purchasers!!!!

Can't you just see it for the sales people... The only way to get to Key west is the purchase of new Trust points...

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
good morning...

Why would they not make this place an MVCD resort and place it in the trust???? A nice bone to throw for Trust purchasers!!!!

Can't you just see it for the sales people... The only way to get to Key west is the purchase of new Trust points...

With the timeshares split off, wouldn't MVW have to acquire it before it can be put in the Trust?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed here last spring in a 1 bedroom villa and agree that it is nicer than many MVC timeshares. At the time, Platinum MR members received complimentary daily full buffet breakfast and parking was free.Since Marriott corporate put pressure on overperforming hotels regarding breakfast benefits in December, they have downgraded this benefit to only cover continental breakfast on week nights.

The bar had a great happy hour a few nights per week (including 2 for 1 premium wine by the glass), and I found the restaurant to be excellent. I actually preferred the location away from Duval because it was more quiet and relaxing. There is also complimentary shuttle service to the airport, so I only rented a car a few days for grocery shopping and sightseeing on other islands.