• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maine to HHI in February

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. Now that we have completed our most recent vacation, we are looking ahead to our next big trip.

Feb 28 - Mar 7 Monarch at Sea Pines
Mar 7 - Mar 11 Charleston

We've gotten into the habit of taking I-81 when heading down south, but just realized that our next trip is in February.

If you were driving this, which way would you go in February to get from Maine to SC?

If you were flying, which airport would you fly into?

Thanks.
NKN :ponder:

silverfox82

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many hours a day do you drive? If you are taking 81 I assume quickest is not the #1 priority, if so the ocean route thru De/Md/Va and the bay bridge tunnel puts you at somewhat better odds of avoiding the slippery stuff. Getting thru or around NYC stinks unless you time it for the wee hours or a weekend. Once south of DC I 95 is generally good and the ocean route gets you on 95 on the Va/Sc border so you are well past all that nonsense. After years of driving to the keys from Long Island my experience is to be flexible and add another day on just in case....

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Sun City HHI and fly in and out of Savannah. We have a daughter in Cape Elizabeth Me so we fly Sav to Portland often.

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Savannah airport is closer to HH but if you are spending your second week in Charleston, you may want to go in/out of Charleston. Hilton Head does have an airport but service is limited and typically more expensive than Charleston or Savannah.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We drive 295 to 95 to 495 to 290, Mass Pike to 84, Saw Mill River to 687 to Tappan Zee, NY Thruway north to Garden State, then NJ Turnpike to 95 again to the exit to HHI.

We leave either at 4 am to miss all the major rush hours, or at three pm and drive through the night.

I like the fact that you are already planning to get out of state next winter. We certainly had a bad one this year!

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We too were traveling from the Northeast in February and AAA advised against it. Apparently I-81 is treacherous even if not snowing, prone to snow drifts and tractor trailer traffic in both lanes! We typically use I-95, which is marginally less risky, and time our departure so that we miss rush hour traffic in the major metropolitan areas. Works like a charm! I should mention that we make the drive in one straight shot -- three gas fill-ups and 16 hours later we're there! This drive isn't for the faint of heart but it works for us.

NKN

TUG Member
Reaction score
These were all great suggestions....thanks.

My husband grew up in Westchester County so, as a rule, NYC traffic doesn't bother him that much. But we have been known to take the I-287 route instead.

We no longer push ourselves to do 15-20 hour trips. On this trip we would have made two overnights, each way, dividing the days into nice 6-7 hour segments.

But, in the end, you helped convince my husband that we should fly this time. We can fly non-stop from Portland to Charlotte, NC and then rent a car for the rest of the trip. We decided we preferred this non-stop flight due to all the weather delays you can encounter in the winter. We wouldn't have connecting flights to worry about. You cannot always get a non-stop flight from Portland.

So, we will use his frequent flyer miles for the airfare and the money that would have gone towards gas and hotels will go towards the rental car.

It should work for us. The downside is we won't be able to take half the stuff we normally do, when we go by car.

Thanks again.

nkn :hi:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest flying in and out of Charlotte. Great choice. You should have decent to good weather in both HHI and Charleston. Bring a variety of clothing.