• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1st Maine Trip - Supermarket and Restaurant Suggestions Still Needed

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We (DM, DH, DS(4), DS(1) and me) are heading off for our first Maine vacation next Thursday. I have been researching on and off for weeks, so I have a decent plan for most of the days. I still have a few blanks to fill and I'd appreciate your help. We'll be spending two weeks:

- Fly into Portland on Thursday

- Spend Thurs. night in Freeport in a B&B (because I *have to* go check out the 24 hours LL Bean store.) :eek: Could someone recommend a tasty family friendly restaurant that has relatively quick service? We pretty much eat anything and love seafood (though, unfortunately, we are not keen about lobster); I just do not want fast food after flying and eating fast food all day.

- Drive to Rockport on Friday and spend the night in a motel. I've read a lot of recommendations for fancy expensive places in the Camden area. Is there a moderately priced family friendly seafood restaurant in town? Maybe a place with fresh caught steam clams?

- Drive to Bar Harbor on Saturday. Google Maps indicate the driving time would be 2 hours. But I recall reading somewhere that the traffic is horrible along this route on summer weekends. (1) What is a more reasonable estimate of the driving time between Camden and Bar Harbor? (2) Also, what is a good place to stop for lunch roughly mid-way between Camden and Bar Harbor? (3) Should we get our groceries in Bar Harbor (and if so, where) or should we get our groceries somewhere outside of Bar Harbor (and if so, where)? (The reason I ask this is because I'm wondering if groceries tend to be higher priced in Bar Harbor compared to elsewhere nearby.)

- Spend 1 week in Bar Harbor in a rental house. We basically plan to visit Acadia for most of the week. I have a bunch of restaurant recommendations for BH already so I think I'm set.

- Drive from Bar Harbor to Old Orchard Beach the following Saturday and spend 5 nights on one floor of a rental house. Old Orchard Beach was not my first or second choice of Maine beaches for our beach part of the vacation; it just ended up being the best option for us. I'd appreciate some dining recommendations in this area, particularly for fresh caught fish and clams or just good family friendly non-fast food restaurants.

- Fly out of Portland on Thursday.

Thanks in advance!

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For groceries I would stop in Ellsworth before entering Bar Harbor. There is a small Hannafords in Bar Harbor if you choose to buy when you get to the island.

RFW

TUG Member
Reaction score
For groceries I would stop in Ellsworth before entering Bar Harbor. There is a small Hannafords in Bar Harbor if you choose to buy when you get to the island.

Can't remember the name, but there is a nice cafe in the middle of Ellsworth on route 1, across the street from J&B Atlantic (which you can't miss). Further down on route 1/3, on the way to Bar Harbor (maybe 2 miles) there is a Shaws supermarket and virtually next door a Hannafords. Both will be on your right on route 1/3, across the street from the LL Bean outlet store, about 1/4 mile before the turn to route 1/3 split, where you head south on 3 to head to Bar Harbor

Last edited:

jeanb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cody's in Rockport has a kid friendly atmosphere,peanut shells on the floor.Same restaurant chain is in Florida. Not sure of the seafood menu I always have the pork chop.
Rockport Diner is also popular Route 90 and Off Shore on Rt 1 has lots of seafood on the menu.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from Maine (SWest Harbor) last week. We stopped at Hannaford's in Ellsworth to stock up on groceries for the week. Have fun, Maine was great!
Deb

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
- Fly into Portland on Thursday

- Spend Thurs. night in Freeport in a B&B (because I *have to* go check out the 24 hours LL Bean store.) :eek: Could someone recommend a tasty family friendly restaurant that has relatively quick service? We pretty much eat anything and love seafood (though, unfortunately, we are not keen about lobster); I just do not want fast food after flying and eating fast food all day.

I have eaten at the Muddy Rudder in Yarmouth, which is about 1/2 way between Portland and Freeport. I can't give you an opinion on "quick service" because unfortunately I don't know your "definition" of quick service. You can probably plan on spending at least an hour there, but I would let your waiter know you are “in a hurry” On the way from the Portland Airport is a mall which has the usual assortment of “chain” restaurants.
The worst case scenario is you can eat at Friendly’s (eastern US restaurant chain) in Freeport. IMHO, I rank these one or two steps above fast food, but the meals are inexpensive with a basic menu and relatively fast service.

BTW, Don’t miss some of the other outlet stores in Freeport as well.

Enjoy your trip

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
- Drive to Rockport on Friday and spend the night in a motel. I've read a lot of recommendations for fancy expensive places in the Camden area. Is there a moderately priced family friendly seafood restaurant in town? Maybe a place with fresh caught steam clams?
The Rockland Cafe?? (Rockland is about three miles south of Rockport.) As far as decor, this is just what the name implies -- a cafe. I only ate there for breakfast (thus, I am a little reluctant to say that this is THE place), but I know that they do serve inexpensive seafood including steamed clams. (Not on their regular menu, but being served now.) Most of the locals in Maine still frequent the old, city center cafes and that is true for this place.

Rockland itself is filled with trendy restaurants, art shops, etc.

... (2) Also, what is a good place to stop for lunch roughly mid-way between Camden and Bar Harbor?
The Anglers Restaurant. It is about three miles past Searsport on the right. The owner of the BlueJacket Shipcrafters (an interesting place in its own right) swears by this place. (Actually the Moon Guide also stands by it.) Its decor again is modest as are the prices.

Consider spending a little time in Searsport on the way to Bar Harbor. To be honest, the idea of spending time at the Penobscot Marine Museum did not sound too interesting to me, but it took me by surprise. It is actually a number of buildings with a common admission price. One includes an exhibit on lobsters and lobster fishing. There is a Captain's house, a barn with some old ships (that was what I was afraid the entire museum would be), another building or two. While not part of the museum, the museum is allowed to let its visitors into the still operating church at the top of the hill at 11:00 and 1:30 for a half hour. I've been places where they have made a big deal of having a Tiffany window. This church has eight of them valued in the millions. (In general, this was not a chuch of the poor.)

Regardless of whether you accept any of these recommendations, have fun.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
While in Bar Harbor, take a trip to Northeast harbor and try the Tan Turtle restaurant.
Don't miss having a lunch or dinner (and get the popovers)at the Jordan Pond house on the Acadia Park loop road.
If you are in Elsworth and want something to eat, there's a great snack bar just a mile or so up route 1 called Jordan's Snack Bar.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
While in Bar Harbor, take a trip to Northeast harbor and try the Tan Turtle restaurant.
Don't miss having a lunch or dinner (and get the popovers)at the Jordan Pond house on the Acadia Park loop road.
If you are in Elsworth and want something to eat, there's a great snack bar just a mile or so up route 1 called Jordan's Snack Bar.

I agree, Tan Turtle is worth a try. Casual pub with a large menu.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the Rockland Cafe. Food was great. We've stayed at B&B's in Camden two different times. Be sure to visit Camden and eat on their waterfront. Take time when you are near Portland to go out to Cape Elizabeth and Williams Park to see the Portland Head Light. It is a beautiful area and one of the most often photographed light houses. There are nice,easy paths to walk along the coast there. I can walk there from my daughter's house so I would be envious if I weren't going to be there in August.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
moodys diner is a hit

You will be driving before you hit ROckport area and Moodys has great food also... in Freeport there are lots of little eateries up and down the main street that might catch your fancy.. I remember eating at one place not too far from the Lenox outlet ( same side of street) not far from LL BEan. You will love the area... lots to do and pretty scenery The Camden deli right on the main street makes very good lunches, not too expensive either...

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
If you like lobster, there's a famous place in Wiscasett (route 1) called Red's Eats that is supposed to have the best lobster rolls ever made. Don't ask for Red as he sold out several years ago.

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your help! TUGgers are just so awesome. I've been scrambling around the past few days getting things ready for the trip. I'm really looking forward to the cooler temps, though I hope the rain would stop and we could just have cool sunny days for the entire two weeks!

By the way, I read that Black Flies are in Maine until mid-summer. I haven't researched this further yet. I'm hoping our non-Deet insect repellent would work against Black Flies. Has anyone tried any particular brand and can confirm it works against Black Flies?

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Freeport, you might try the Jameson Tavern. Have a great time in Maine!
Connie

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm feeling the start of a mild panic attack here. This is the most ambitious trip I've ever planned with either one or two kids. I did not mention that we also have to drive 4+ hours each way to/from Chicago and spend the night before the outbound flight and after the return flight because I was able to secure frequent flier tickets out of Chicago for the kids, saving us $1200 (!). I suddenly have an image of both my 4 year old and 1 year old melting down multiple times before the end of the trip due to all the changes in location and long drives; and at some point I may kick myself wondering why I thought this 2 1/2 week trip at multiple places would constitute a "fun" vacation. :eek: is how I'm feeling right now! What was I thinking????

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, the joys of parenting :) . Regardless of what happens (godd or bad), you'll have great stories to tell.

One March, several years ago, we had a vacation trip planned to Disney. Turns out we flew into a “storm of the century" on the East Coast. We ended up sleeping at the airport; then, when we found out the airport was going to be closed the next day as well, we rented a car and drove 20+ hours the rest of the way. My kids were a bit older than yours, but we all survived nicely. The best entertainment for my kids...walking the "wrong" way on the moving sidewalk in the airport.

Last edited:

NANA3B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rockland Cafe

The Rockland Cafe is the best. My husband and I just returned from a week at the Samoset Resort in Rockport. We tried a number of restaurants in that area but ended up eating most meals at the Rockland Cafe. The food is great and the prices reasonable. We had Sunday lunch at Cody's and it was delicious!

billnjune

Reaction score
places in or nearrockport

i live just outside rockport, for lunch, if seafood isnt that important for one day, the Brown Bag in Rockland has the best food in the area. All hommade breads and pastries, plus thir own turkeys, soups, and other things. The gobbler is one of the best sandwiches ever, and their haddock chowder has one the areas best for the past few years. On the way to Bar Harbor Anglers is not a bad place to eat either.
In Bar Harbor, there are many great places, my wife and i still love Gaylyns, and Rt 66 is a great family friendly place to eat also.
The weather has benn nice here and looks like it will continue for the next bit so I hope you have a wonderful trip

craftemp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maine

And don't forget the Maine Diner - also on route 1

When we stayed in Kennebunkport a few years ago, we ate here at least 3 times!! Love their Lobster Casserole

http://www.mainediner.com/