• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a resale sight unseen

RLHatt

Reaction score
We are in the process of purchasing a Sheraton Vistana resale prior to ever having seen the property. We will be down in May, possibly before the deed is in our names because it takes 6-8 weeks and our Disney trip is right at the 6 week mark. Does anyone know if they will let us tour the property without the deed or a reservation?

Thanks in advance!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I've had good success just showing up and asking to take a tour. I've done this at WKORV (south), WKV and SVV. SVV actually gave me the hardest time because I didn't have an appointment, but they did eventually relent (after a call to the sales department) and they let me in and tour the units without doing a sales presentation.

YMMV>

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Let me know how it goes, we bought a resale sight unseen on Cape Cod. Going up in April, May stop buy to see the place. I have had conversations on the phone and they seem cordial. BTW I have seen Vistana, my sister stayed there on an exchange. It was very nice!
TerryC

Last edited:

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
I did it a few years ago at SDO. Had purchased on Ebay, was in PHX on business. So I rented a car and drove over. Super nice sales person had no time to show me around but gave me keys to a few units and a voucher for lunch at the pool snack bar.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the time I had success in walking into the Sales Office during slow time and telling them I was interested in checking out the place and wasn't interested in a gift. Generally, they assigned me a Sales Person to walk me around. I found the discussions useful.

If that doesn't work, just walk around and look for a Unit being cleaned and ask the maid to let you look around. That never failed me.

George

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in the process of purchasing a Sheraton Vistana resale prior to ever having seen the property. We will be down in May, possibly before the deed is in our names because it takes 6-8 weeks and our Disney trip is right at the 6 week mark. Does anyone know if they will let us tour the property without the deed or a reservation?

Thanks in advance!

If you email a copy of the recorded deed theyll usually act on it within a few days. It's mind boggling to me when these closings take so long, especially if no $$ is involved.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
If you email a copy of the recorded deed theyll usually act on it within a few days. It's mind boggling to me when these closings take so long, especially if no $$ is involved.

Yes, it took two days for them to transfer my SBP ownership a couple weeks ago.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
This would be a good poll in the buying, selling forum.
Moderators, what do you think?

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience at SDO- easy to get in and see on a walk-in basis but I purchased sight unseen

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my first TS purchases on eBAY and sight unseen ... was PINK ... walls, kitchen cabinets, appliances, and mauve rugs.

I was in tearing and sobbing. It was THAT bad .... next morning while waiting for the elevator, another (older) owner asked if I have seen the new models (rehabbed unit)? ... was no longer SAD, but happy, as I did not have to pay the $1500 special assessment and the unit looked GREAT NEXT YEAR.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I bought our WKV and SVR weeks both sight unseen, actually did all my research on TUG.

We have since visited WKV and it has turned into one of my favorite properties.

We have not been to SVR yet and have used it as an II trader but plan to use our week there next year.

This board is very good at giving you the resources to be able to make a decision site unseen. with Trip Advisor, TUG, Redweek and the internet age we are in, it's easy to purchase site unseen.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I bought all mine sight unseen except for my 2nd weeks at WSJ and WKV.
WKORV OFD => the best
;)

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think WKORV (our first) and WDW (our fifth and seventh) were the only one's we'd seen before we bought. The rest were all sight unseen.

We still haven't seen SVR or WLR...

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I've bought 5 TS sight unseen and never did see 4 of them. I bought mostly to trade but the one we visited often had a lot of info on the internet to sway our decision.

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought SDO sight unseen and since you mention Disney bought DVC Boardwalk sight unseen in 1999. Been very happy with both purchases so maybe it was just luck! But I did do lots of research.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I have 7 timeshares and Harborside is the only one I did see before I bought. I fell in love with it while on an Interval exchange.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just acquired a free unit/week - not Starwood - sight unseen- although we have been to the resort twice before- but stayed in a newer building. This unit is in a much older building.

I joined the resort owners Facebook page and was able to speak with other owners who own in that building, some in that exact unit. Also, the resort concierge took pics of a similar unit and sent them to me upon my inquiry! Turns out, my unit is being updated right now and plans are for it to be finished by June! In fact, I think I might like this one better than the newer ones!

Keeping my fingers crossed for our vacation in August!

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my first TS purchases on eBAY and sight unseen ... was PINK ... walls, kitchen cabinets, appliances, and mauve rugs.

I was in tearing and sobbing. It was THAT bad .... next morning while waiting for the elevator, another (older) owner asked if I have seen the new models (rehabbed unit)? ... was no longer SAD, but happy, as I did not have to pay the $1500 special assessment and the unit looked GREAT NEXT YEAR.

I just acquired a free unit/week - not Starwood - sight unseen- although we have been to the resort twice before- but stayed in a newer building. This unit is in a much older building.

I joined the resort owners Facebook page and was able to speak with other owners who own in that building, some in hat exact unit. Also, the resort concierge took pics of a similar unit and sent them to me upon my inquiry! Turns out, my unit is being updated right now and plans are for it to be finished by June! In fact, I think I might like this one better than the newer ones!

Keeping my fingers crossed for our vacation in August!

We simply LUCKED OUT - although I had to sleep in VERISON #1 for my first week of ownership.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)

Thanks in advance!

Pretty good chance. Both Vistana resorts are still active for sales, so there will be someone there the show you around. Good choice for someone from Charleston, an easy drive for a warm winter getaway.

Like several PP's, we bought both our TS sight unseen, but have used our SVR consistently since (we had stayed at SVV prior to purchase). Stayed at SLR (Silver Lake Resort) for the first time this past March, about 6 years after purchasing. Not disappointed with either resort, and they trade well and provide memorable family getaways.