• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Understanding Fixed/Float weeks and Star Option/Points [merged]

JMPopp4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to interpret the difference between the following Starwood Vacation Ownership resale listings. These are not true listings but examples

Fixed week 27 - no staroptions - Does this mean the seller has a fixed week with out the ability to trade in for an alternate week or star options??

Fixed week 40 - sale includes 44,000 staroptions - Does this mean the seller has the option to trade his week for star options and has already done so for the current year?

Floating Platinum weeks annual 81,000 staroptions - Does this mean the owner can book any week at his home resort during the high season period and/or exchange for a different time frame or resort using his staroptions?

If we were to buy two separate resales - 1 at resort A and the other at resort B - can we combine the total number of star options to book at either Home resort ?

I am researching Westin Vacation Ownerships.

Thanks for any clarification, Joyce

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's hard to answer without knowing the specific resort/phases. Also sometimes with ads the seller is just clueless as to whether the staroptions transfer to the new owner (mandatory resorts) or not (voluntary resorts). Sellers don't always even know if they own a fixed week or a float week.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to interpret the difference between the following Starwood Vacation Ownership resale listings. These are not true listings but examples

Fixed week 27 - no staroptions - Does this mean the seller has a fixed week with out the ability to trade in for an alternate week or star options??

Fixed week 40 - sale includes 44,000 staroptions - Does this mean the seller has the option to trade his week for star options and has already done so for the current year?

Floating Platinum weeks annual 81,000 staroptions - Does this mean the owner can book any week at his home resort during the high season period and/or exchange for a different time frame or resort using his staroptions?

If we were to buy two separate resales - 1 at resort A and the other at resort B - can we combine the total number of star options to book at either Home resort ?

I am researching Westin Vacation Ownerships.

Thanks for any clarification, Joyce

Fixed week 27 - no staroptions - Does this mean the seller has a fixed week with out the ability to trade in for an alternate week or star options? - YES

Fixed week 40 - sale includes 44,000 staroptions - Does this mean the seller has the option to trade his week for star options and has already done so for the current year? Yes, the unit comes with SOs which will allow you to trade to an alternate days/week or different unit size or both.

Floating Platinum weeks annual 81,000 staroptions - Does this mean the owner can book any week at his home resort during the high season period and/or exchange for a different time frame or resort using his staroptions? YES

If we were to buy two separate resales - 1 at resort A and the other at resort B - can we combine the total number of star options to book at either Home resort ? Yes, You can combine the SOs for booking using SOs / SVN exchange but you can't combine SOs for booking during your home resort period.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Joyce - we need to know the resort name, and phase, of each of the units, for the most accurate reponse.

YES - A Voluntary (no Staroptions) true fixed week cannot be moved to a different week within Starwood. You have to deposit it with an outside exchange company to trade it. It has no Staroptions.

YES - A Mandatory (w/Staroptions) true fixed week can be moved, by using the Staroptions to make a reservation. You will have to ask him if a Resv. has been made for this year. (44,000 Staroptions is not very many.)

To muddy the water a little more, Starwood also has fixed/float weeks that are fixed until a certain timeframe and then they float.

Yes.

Yes - but it would be a Staroption reservation (made at 8 mos.) not a home resort reservation, and you can also make reservations at other Starwood resorts, as well.

Be aware that in many cases, the week advertised in an Ad is not a "true fixed week," - it's just the week on the deed for recording purposes.

Last edited:

JMPopp4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the informative responses. I guess of my confusion was justified. It depends on the resort, fixed/floating, voluntary or mandatory etc. I'll go back and look at a few of the resales we are looking at and repost with specifics. Regards, Joyce

JMPopp4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Star Options vs Star Points [merged at this point]

I am looking at a resale with 81,000 SO's. I have several questions ...again. As a resale are the Options limited to SVO properties? Can we use them for Sheraton stays or Sheraton Resort Properties like Sheraton PGA. Can we exchange with II? Thanks, Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a resale with 81,000 SO's. I have several questions ...again. As a resale are the Options limited to SVO properties? Can we use them for Sheraton stays or Sheraton Resort Properties like Sheraton PGA. Can we exchange with II? Thanks, Joyce
Go to the Starwood Vacation Ownership section of the forum and click on the stickies there. I'd repost, but all of these questions are answered there.

If you have specific questions on whether or not to buy your resale, and what is the best way to use your SOs, we can assist with that if you provide us with more info.

-ryan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Starwood FAQ: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63224

StarPOINTS = hotel points
StarOPTIONS = timeshare points

NO Starwood resales have Starpoints.

Some (5 resorts) Starwood resales have Staroptions.

You can exchange with II - but if you buy a timeshare with StarOPTIONS, you can trade in the internal Starwood trading system, and that's usually a better value.

Yes, you can use StarOPTIONS for all Starwood properties:
1) if available
2) if you have enough Staroptions