• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado in the Summer - Sheraton or Lakeside Terrace?

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi -

We are going on a trip for 4 nights to Colorado. Currently, we are booked at the Sheraton Mountain Vista, but Lakeside Terrace is also available. Does anyone have any opinions/preferences? We are going with another family, and there will be 3 kids (10, 9, 7) total.

I noticed that Lakeside Terrace does not have a pool, which is the main reason why we chose Sheraton Mountain Vista. We are hoping that the Westin Riverfront opens up, but not sure that's going to happen.

Please share any experiences with the properties, and also, please let me know what kinds of activities there are to do in Colorado over the summer. How far is the resort from the main town???

Thanks!

Sheri

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Hi -

We are going on a trip for 4 nights to Colorado. Currently, we are booked at the Sheraton Mountain Vista, but Lakeside Terrace is also available. Does anyone have any opinions/preferences? We are going with another family, and there will be 3 kids (10, 9, 7) total.

I noticed that Lakeside Terrace does not have a pool, which is the main reason why we chose Sheraton Mountain Vista. We are hoping that the Westin Riverfront opens up, but not sure that's going to happen.

Please share any experiences with the properties, and also, please let me know what kinds of activities there are to do in Colorado over the summer. How far is the resort from the main town???

Thanks!

Sheri

It's about 6 blocks or so to the grocery store on the east side of Avon. Lakeside Terrace does not have a pool but gets to use the pool at the Avon Rec center directly across the street (unless things have changed).

Lots to do in the area in the summer, depending on your interests. I'd recommend taking the drive through Independence Pass from Twin Lakes to Aspen. We also had a great time on the half day Brown's Canyon rafting trip through Wilderness Aware Rafting.

DTD1990

Reaction score
We've stayed in Avon a number of times, The Westin twice. Once in the summer and once during ski season. We also just stayed at Lakeside Terrace for Spring break and went over to the Sheraton Mountain Villas (SMV) to check it out. As SMV and Lakeside Terrace are right next to each other the location situation is a non-issue. In fact, to check in to Lakeside Terrace you actually go to the SMV front desk.

SMV has more onsite facilities -- pool/hot tubes and gameroom. Lakeside Terrace has a contract with the rec center across the street to use their indoor pool/hottubs though.

The square footage at Lakeside Terrace is larger than SMV. One important distinction that may matter is if you are traveling with another family SMV's two-bedrooms are lock-offs, so each family may have a greater degree of privacy. You can shut the door between the units. Lakeside Terrace is just a regular two-bedroom. For us, it was only my family of four (spouse and two minor kids), so Lakeside Terrace was fine for Spring break skiing. Lakeside Terrace also is less Star-Options per week if your are in the SVN system.

Good Luck

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DTD gave a very good description of the differences between the two. I think the kids would love the Avon Recreation Center. It has 40,000 sq. ft. of indoor pools, slides, hot tubs, lazy river, and exercise equipment and is probably the best recreation facility in the Vail Valley. They charge about $16 per person per day for non members but LT guests get free use of it. One other thing to consider is neither resort is air conditioned and LT is only 4-5 floors tall. I would think that an upper floor at SMV could get warm in the summer although it will cool down at night.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We tend to like a place with more of a "hotel feel"- so we like SMV better. The interior corridors at smv versus exterior at lKeside terrace, plus the onsite market/deli/gift shop plus game room and hot tubs give it more of a "hotel or resort feel" and we prefer that. In non summer months the Avon Rec passes are a nice feature, but for me if the weather is nice I want to be swimming outside- so we like that SMV has a nice outdoor pool.
On the other hand the units at lakeside terrace do feel more spacious and have larger patios.
Both are nice places to stay in a beautiful area.

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies. We are going to keep our original booked nights at SMV, since it sounds like that will be the best fit for us. I'm still going to try to get into the Westin, but I know it is unlikely that it will become available.

How far is it to go into town, assuming there is some sort of town nearby???

Thanks!

Sheri:banana:

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The SMV is in the town of Avon. It's a few miles up to Beaver Creek Village and you can drive up there or take the free Avon bus. I think parking is free in the summer. Vail is 9 miles east on Interstate 70.

ArizonaSun4Fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick opinion that if a pool is important, the Westin pool is just a lap pool. The pool options at both the Sheraton and Lakeside Terrace are better options for kids. The hot tubs are awesome at the a Westin, though.