• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where in NYC? [Diamond Resorts]

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
With the new "Luxury Accommodations" program now being offered by Diamond Resorts, there are many locations available in New York City. My problem is that I don't know enough about the city to make intelligent judgements, and prices vary a lot depending on where you stay. So, I'm asking any who are familiar with the different areas of Manhattan to provide some input as to which areas you would NOT recommend staying. TIA

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would avoid staying way downtown (the Financial District) or on the Upper East Side. Both make it a bit more difficult to get around--there's only one subway line on the UES and it's always really crowded. Financial District is similarly off the beaten path for tourists.

Good locations are the Upper West Side--not too far up, no higher than about West 80th Street; Chelsea; West Village; Times Square; Columbus Circle. Soho and the East Village also okay and touristy now.

What are your choices?

fnewman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
Diamond actually offers about 65 locations throughout the city, ranging from one to several bedrooms. Thus the reason for my question. First time we stayed just south of Central Park; our next one is booked at Columbus Circle. Some other areas appear a bit less costly, but I don't way to stay in an area that is too far from attractions or perhaps less safe.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond actually offers about 65 locations throughout the city, ranging from one to several bedrooms. Thus the reason for my question. First time we stayed just south of Central Park; our next one is booked at Columbus Circle. Some other areas appear a bit less costly, but I don't way to stay in an area that is too far from attractions or perhaps less safe.

I think Columbus Circle is a really great location. It's close to a lot of transportation options and walking distance to Broadway theaters. Lincoln Center and Central Park are right there, too.

Actually...Columbus Circle and "just south of Central Park" are pretty similar locations, unless you were just south of the park over toward the East Side?

Anyway, what are you most interested in seeing?

fnewman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed at a Mariott on W 59th, probably about closer to the east side.. For this trip, we really haven't decided what we want to do; probably at least one trip to Broadway, for sure + 911 museum (went last year before the museum opened) + Central Park + Grand Central + ?? So much to do, so little time. We will be there for 3 nights then catching a cruise ship. Couple of questions: 1) best way to get from JFK to the hotel at Columbus Circle and 2) How far will it be to the cruise port?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many of you are there? I like the Super Shuttle from airports bc they take you right to your hotel, so no struggling with luggage or a taxi line. If you're on a budget and don't have much luggage, there's a subway to JFK and I think it's the A train, so it goes directly to Columbus Circle.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-ground-transportation.html

If you're leaving from the cruise ship pier on the Hudson, you're really close--an inexpensive cab ride. Will post more later.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the map of the AirTrain and I don't get it. I usually use Newark or LaGuardia. Anyway, ideally you would get on the A and take it to Columbus Circle. The E does not go to Columbus Circle.

If you can only take the E to 34th Street, then you'd switch to the uptown A to Columbus Circle. Or you can take the LIRR to 34th Street/Penn Station and again switch to the A uptown to Columbus Circle.

For the passenger ship terminal on the Hudson, I would just take a cab over. The terminal is around 50th Street and 12th Avenue, so it doesn't look like it's all that far, but it is. It's a long, long walk with luggage, and it's a boring, lonely stretch of Manhattan!

Last edited:

fnewman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are very comfortable using the subway, but wll have heavy luggage so super shuttle will probably be the best choice. Sounds like taxi to cruise terminal will work ok; I'll have to confirm which pier. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I prefer LaGuardia also, but was considering JFK because Jet Blue has some really good rates on non-stops from Savannah. Won't save much if I have to spend a lot on transportation once there.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are very comfortable using the subway, but wll have heavy luggage so super shuttle will probably be the best choice. Sounds like taxi to cruise terminal will work ok; I'll have to confirm which pier. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I prefer LaGuardia also, but was considering JFK because Jet Blue has some really good rates on non-stops from Savannah. Won't save much if I have to spend a lot on transportation once there.

Super Shuttle is great, but if there are more than two of you, a cab might be more reasonable.

And Super Shuttle can take forever because they want every run to be totally full, so they might take a couple of swings around the airport and then you have to wait in Manhattan while other passengers get off and on. But for a major destination like the Columbus Circle area, it shouldn't be too bad.

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Life's too short

From a native New Yorker. Take a cab from JFK to Columbus Circle. $52 plus toll ($5.33) and tip. Also Columbus Circle is a short cab ride from the cruise terminals.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do you get the $5.33 for the toll? EZ Pass? Not sure of most cab driver's abide by that fee? The full freight fare for the tolls is $7.50.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked NYC TLC site. The driver is indeed required to use Ez pass and pass along the discount.

fnewman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the useful info. Given the relatively high taxi cost from JFK, I'll have to look closely at the air fares, parking, etc. using ATL (Delta/LGA) vs SAV (JetBlue/KFK) for future round trips. For this one, It will probably make more sense to use ATL.