• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pick a spot on the Coast of Maine!?

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never visited New England. Considering a week to ten days in Maine over the mid-summer time period.

QUESTION- If you were to select or recommend a town or community to base out of, where do you recommend?

I intend to either stay for the entire time in one place or to stay for 5 days in two separate areas of the coast of Maine.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts and recommendations of where to go and while we are at it, what should we not miss beyond the national park?

Thanks and hat tip to you!:ponder:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
When I go back I will stay near Bar Harbor. It's close to "that" national park and has plenty to do.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you are looking for. We love Harbor Ridge resort because of its proximity to Acadia, Bar Harbor etc. Its absolutely beautiful with awesome hiking, kayaking, sailing etc. Some of our family however finds the area a little boring.

When we are with them we go to Ogunquit. Its more developed, more of a "beachy" scene, closer to arcades, zoos, bars etc.

So it really depends on what you want.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two cents' worth from a Native...

There are many factors (none of them actually specified by the OP) to consider here, including the ages, number and activity (and other) interests of the family unit (or some other group) members involved in this travel --- not to mention whether or not the lodging options are necessarily being confined to timeshare facility choices.

Personally, I greatly dislike the intense congestion of people and vehicle traffic in and around Bar Harbor during the summer months, despite the proximity to beautiful Acadia National Park. Some folks have more patience and tolerance for that dense, seasonal concentration of humanity and vehicles than I happen to possess. YMMV.

If it's only adults involved (i.e., no kiddies to have to always keep entertained and amused), I would recommend mid-Coast Maine (about an hour's drive further "south") and, more specifically, Samoset Resort if timeshare lodging is the only actual objective here. Good luck getting into a week there in the summer months, however.

Glad to answer any specific questions, but I'm not going to just "yammer on" blindly, knowing nothing at all about travelling party ages, number, or interests. :shrug:

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
From another Mainer

I'll always be "from away"...but I've lived along the coast of Maine for 23 years. ;) I second the opinion of staying away from Bar Harbor in the summer time. UGH. Too many folks too close together! We have not yet stayed at the Samoset, though we are going over April break week this year. Looking forward to it. We know the area well, and there's lots to see/do...Owl's Head Transportation Museum, the Farnsworth, etc. Don't discount the mountains of Maine...definitely quieter in the summer, and still not far from the coast....about 90 minutes to Portland. We like the Bethel Inn and the Jordan Grand Hotel at Sunday River. Good luck! Planning a summer vacation sounds wonderful on this VERY COLD Maine day!

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some background for our planning-

The kids are away in college so it will only be my wife and I.

We are not looking for a TS to base out of.

We are looking at Homeaway/VRBO listings so that we could stay on the coast and perhaps somewhere on the lower coast and then on the upper coast, each for about 4 nights or so.

We are pretty fluid and open in our plans.

We are familiar with the people crush here in the Great Smoky Mountains so we pretty much simply stay out of the main gateways into the Park.

I do wonder if the traffic on the island is as bad as Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg in the summer? I would like to at least visit the Park while up on the coast of Maine.

Would appreciate any places, history or local recommendations as we attempt to stay away from all the tourist traps. We do not need any moonshine, taffy or tee-shirts.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
...I do wonder if the traffic on the island is as bad as Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg in the summer? I would like to at least visit the Park while up on the coast of Maine.

Would appreciate any places, history or local recommendations as we attempt to stay away from all the tourist traps. We do not need any moonshine, taffy or tee-shirts.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

I have no problem with the traffic in and around Bar Harbor in the summer. I will not go back to those TN spots in the summer or Myrtle beach for that matter, way too much traffic and people not paying attention to the driving for those conditions.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Harbor Ridge in early June and enjoyed the area and loved Acadia. The park wasn't very crowded then ...perhaps still a little too early? It was nothing like the nightmare of GSMNP/Pigeon Forge in high season, at least not when we were there......

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Cottage on Bass Harbor

We've stayed twice at a cottage called "Home Port" that sits on Bass Harbor at Tremont, Maine on Mt Desert Island. You drive through Southwest Harbor to get to Tremont. The cottage is just up from Thurston's Lobster Pound (walking distance). Also, if the cottage owner's son is still a lobsterman docked at the cottage's dock, he took us out to pull some traps with him. Great experience and some good lobster too! We love it there! Well stocked cottage. Probably too big for two and they probably require a full week's rental. I have no personal financial interest in this cottage or group it's just a place we love. It is owned and rented by Ann's Point Cottages. They do own other smaller cabins and cottages, I've never been inside them.

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The traffic on Mt. Desert Island can be bad at the rush hours and an accident on the one 2 lane road can be a horrendous traffic jam. Harbor Ridge in Southwest Harbor is a good place to stay or you could stay off the island in Ellsworth at Acadia Village Resort (they do partial week rentals). Both locations are close to the main park location, but we like the Ellsworth location better. It is more convenient to a trip eastward down the coast on route 1.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm sure that there are many great places on the coast, but for me...
I'd wouldn't want to miss Bar Harbor & Acadia NP, any time of year.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
July 4th...Harbor Ridge...parade down Main Street...blueberry pancakes. To die for!!!

rockon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coast of Maine

I have been to Bar Harbor, Boothbay Harbor, Ogunquit
and we have a reservation at the Samoset Resort in the Rockport, Camden Maine area this July.
I love them all !
However Ogunquit, York, Wells area is my favorite. The beaches in this area are beautiful. Only about a little over an hour drive from Boston.
Marginal Way is one of the most beautiful and breathtaking ocean side walking paths you will ever see.
Wonderful restaurants including The Blueberry Pancakes at The World Famous Maine Diner.

We purchased two timeshares in Ogunquit as a result.

I think you will be happy with any area you chose.

Last edited:

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter's family lives in Cape Elizabeth. I would spend two nights in Portland, several near Camden and then three or four near Bar Harbor to do the park. We drove completely around Nova Scotia a couple of years ago. It is still our favorite trip ever. We fly in and out of Portland. Old Town is fun and the Portland Head lighthouse and Ft. Williams are not to be missed. I'm sitting in my home in SC looking at the Portland Head Lighthouse above my fire place. My four year old granddaughter says I can close my eyes and be there. Have a wonderful trip.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend acquiring a copy of a excellent guidebook entitled Maine Coast & Islands written by by Christina Tree & Nancy English.
ISBN 978-1-58157-137-0 First published in 2011 by The Countryman Press, Woodstock, VT. Don't know if there is a subsequent edition since the 2011 release.

Comprehensive coverage and plenty of very good information. For the record, I have no affiliation of any sort with the book, its' authors, publisher, or any establishment or entity identified or mentioned anywhere within the guidebook itself. I'm merely identifying a printed source of lots of good information --- no more, no less.

Last edited:

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter's family lives in Cape Elizabeth. I would spend two nights in Portland, several near Camden and then three or four near Bar Harbor to do the park. We drove completely around Nova Scotia a couple of years ago. It is still our favorite trip ever. We fly in and out of Portland. Old Town is fun and the Portland Head lighthouse and Ft. Williams are not to be missed. I'm sitting in my home in SC looking at the Portland Head Lighthouse above my fire place. My four year old granddaughter says I can close my eyes and be there. Have a wonderful trip.

The above post mentions "Old Town"-----------but probably should have read "Old PORT". Old Town is simply a small town 100 miles north of Portland.

Pat

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
But Pat, Old town is where they make those canoes. :D

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I do certainly mean "Old Port". My mind was wandering to those three Grands there or just a senior moment. My youngest lives in Alexandria so those "Olds" confuse senior minds.

mrmarty91

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Ogunquit. There is plenty to do and if you're in town you can leave your car and walk everywhere. It is a beautiful place.

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Samoset it is! Question about Amtrak to Boston.

Thanks for the guidance all! Although we were not necessarily looking for a TS to base out of, we did find one that fit our travel schedule and will be staying in June at Samoset in Rockport as a base camp for the coast of Maine.

Considering taking Amtrak from Virginia to Boston and then rent a car from Boston. Concerns? Any issues getting from/to Amtrak to/from a car rental agency? Our only experience with Amtrak was travel between Seattle and Portland. I would appreciate any thoughts or concerns about arriving in Boston on Amtrak.:shrug:

Thanks greatly!

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I don't know about Amtrak to Boston...but I DO know that Amtrak now runs all the way to Brunswick, Maine from Boston. Just a thought as you make plans!

Congratulations! Samoset is tough to get into. We are going up to Rockland on Friday of this week, and are staying at Trade Winds by the Bay. Then to Samoset for April vacation week...can't wait!

Be sure and wave at us here in West Bath, Maine when you drive by on Route 1 this summer! ;)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance all! Although we were not necessarily looking for a TS to base out of, we did find one that fit our travel schedule and will be staying in June at Samoset in Rockport as a base camp for the coast of Maine.

Considering taking Amtrak from Virginia to Boston and then rent a car from Boston. Concerns? Any issues getting from/to Amtrak to/from a car rental agency? Our only experience with Amtrak was travel between Seattle and Portland. I would appreciate any thoughts or concerns about arriving in Boston on Amtrak.:shrug:

Thanks greatly!

Good plan, it seems to me...

Amtrak arrives at South Station in Boston, in the very heart of the city. I can't address where the nearest car rental agency might be from there, but it's most certainly not within walking distance.
I'd suggest doing some advance online homework to see if any of the car rental agencies might offer shuttle service from South Station to their rental location.