• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rude telephone re-sale solicitations

earleb

Reaction score
Is there any way to stop, report, or make telephone re-sale solicitors from calling? I get 3-4 calls a week, with ALL caller id numbers fake. I ask they to put me on a do not call list, to no avail. One of the resellers even goes so far as to spoof caller id numbers in my local area code!!
I have even told them that I have sold my timeshare. Still does help!!:(

Please HELP

Earle

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
When your business model is to "steal" an upfront fee by lying about a pending buyer, what agency are you going to be afraid of when you have already taken steps to hide your identity from those wise enough to know what you are doing ?

earleb

Reaction score
Yep, I am aware of that! I was just hoping someone here was way smarter than me on how to deal with these morons. I have gone so far as to play along to get a name or phone number, but to no avail. They are definitely smarter than me
You would think there would be some way to get they to stop!!
Thanks anyway.

Earle

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tell 'em I'm a lonely old guy and thank them for calling and wish they'd call more. My kids never call and you thoughtful people really care about my well being. No, I already gave away my timeshares..click.. silence. It took a while, but I'm no linger bothered.

Jim Ricks

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have never been bothered by phone calls from any timeshare business. We have both phones on the "Do not call list". Maybe we have just been lucky.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Excuse me for a minute" and laying down the phone and walking away may work. You can do that as many times as they call.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Keep a loud whistle by the phone and be prepared to scare the cat and dog, but it works.

Usually a timeshare salespitch is about how great their website is, and how easy it is to pull it with a Google search. Ask where to go to see the site, so you can make a more informed decision, you now have the site to report.

Maybe these are just out and out scammers without a site, I don't know, but I have also gotten calls from our own area code, and they were trying to get me to send money to Jamaica for a large prize I won (something like that). Most of my scam calls have been from timeshare upfront-fee companies, so I turn them in to the FL Attorney General, after I search to make sure the business number is in Florida (all seem to be in FL).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Use your caller ID - if you don't recognize the number, let the answering machine pick it up.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is the smartest thing to do. It is called "call screening".
I have made a hobby of "playing" with them. If they tell me they have a buyer for my TS, I ask them where they saw mine for sale? After a bit I tell them that they should tell their "buyers" about the great TS buying opportunities on eBay. Then I just say Good bye and hang up.

We've had at least a dozen nuisance numbers calling us over and over (some with no one on the other end - robocalls?). If you have a Panasonic wireless phone, you may have a block calls option in the menu. I think I've put 14 in that list by now. Not sure what the limit is. These calls now appear as incoming calls, but, for them, the actual phone never rings! Take a look at your phone and see if that's a menu option. It's a great source of peace here.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started screening calls several years ago. I let the machine get everything and if it happens to be a friend/relative, I then pick up. Mostly people I want to talk to call me on my cell anyway.

Consistant screening (let the machine get it) does seem to eliminate most calls after a while. I get very few calls now. And I can be just about anywhere in the house and hear the machine pick up so I don't have to stop what I am doing in order to go listen.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I love the ones that "have a buyer for my timeshare". When I ask "which one?" they never have a clue what I own.

Sheila

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I started screening calls several years ago. I let the machine get everything and if it happens to be a friend/relative, I then pick up. Mostly people I want to talk to call me on my cell anyway.

Consistant screening (let the machine get it) does seem to eliminate most calls after a while. I get very few calls now. And I can be just about anywhere in the house and hear the machine pick up so I don't have to stop what I am doing in order to go listen.

That's what I do. My machine is set to pick up after the 2nd ring and family and friends know to start talking and if we're home, we'll pick up. Like quilter, we don't get a lot of them anymore.

Ingrid

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

That is exactly what we do. We can hear our answering machine on all 4 of our cordless phones ( Panasonic ). If I am near the phone I will look at it to see if the Caller ID is somebody I know, otherwise I will let the answering machine pick it up.

However, as I said, we do not get any calls from timeshare people.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
1. The National "Do Not Call" Registry for all phone #'s will help some.
2. "Call Block" helps, too... but try not to block yourself, as I did.

3. Use Caller ID and pick up only if you know its a relative, friend or doc
.... if you want to talk to them ....
Otherwise, it goes to voice-mail... If its important enuff, they'll leave a message.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I let all the callss go to the answering machine. It is across the room from me in the living room and I can here incoming calls and pickup if it is someone I want to speak with. I have registered all of my phone numbers with do-not-call and it does not help with these people.

I was working in Orlando and rented a mailbox from UPS. Guess what, I got dozens of cards and letters from these kind of companies. There was nothing to connect the fact that I was a timeshare owner to that mail box.

earleb

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the ideas I am on the dot not call list, they are not!! I've tried most of the ideas, the problem is some of my family and doctors come up unavailable or blocked. There is one moron with any Indian accent that keeps calling every 2-3 days. I keep telling the idiot I sold my timeshare 6 months ago, but the voice from all the calls seem the same! Oh well! Maybe he'll get tired someday!!:annoyed:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have made a hobby of "playing" with them.

I do that too. Here's one funny, but pathetic, call. He calls and asks me about our timeshare. At this point, I'm 99% sure it's an upfront fee scammer. I answer his questions. He then "puts me on hold" while he "figures out the resale value of my timeshare".

While I'm "on hold", my wife asks me who it is. I respond, "It's another one of those upfront fee scammers. I'm just giving him enough rope to hang himself."

As soon as I said that, he quickly retorted, "I'm not an upfront fee scammer, Sir! Just because you're on hold, it doesn't mean I can't hear you."

Bottom line, he tried to convince me that our property was worth [1.5 times what we paid the developer] and I told him good-bye.