• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009 thread] I feel Scammed by Grandview in Las Vegas

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The contract does not say that you need to answer any questions if you exercise your right to rescind. At best this is a ploy to try to talk you back into keeping the week. At worst, it could be a trap to get you to write or say something they could use as an excuse to deny you a refund and refuse to cancel the contract.

If the refund does not show up soon in your credit card account, consider hiring an attorney to call and ask why you haven't received the refund, and telling them that he is advising you not to answer any of the "survey" questions because you are under no obligation to do so, and this whole unresolved matter is unpleasant for you to deal with. This way, in case they are thinking of playing "hard ball" with you, the call may lead them to give up and proceed with the refund. I suggest a call, rather than an Email or letter, because once something comes in writing from an attorney, the sales team is probably required to hand it over to their legal department to handle. You really don't want their attorney to scrutinize whether or not you have met the conditions for cancellation.

Good luck.

P.S. Since this is my 777th post on TUG, perhaps the outcome will prove "lucky" for you.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I recently went to Las Vegas with no intention of buying a timeshare. Went to the presentation for cheap tickets and gambling money.

I am not looking for comments on how stupid I am ...........

You've clearly realised that it was a dumb move so there's no need to rub your nose in it :(

You were tempted by probably the most common, and least pleasant, of human traits - greed, and that's exactly what the sales team trade on too. The initial feel-good factor of getting something for nothing overrides common sense, and your on the hook.
Thankfully it looks as if you have escaped, but many others don't.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! We share your relief and peace. :cheer:

WilbertC

Reaction score
I recently went to Las Vegas with no intention of buying a timeshare. Went to the presentation for cheap tickets and gambling money. Ended up falling for the scam. Borderline fraud my salesperson promised me 6 weeks annually to enjoy at all the resorts or 5 weeks and the points that I could use for flights etc. It sounded to good to be true and it was. I hadn't slept in a few days so when I finally sat down and went through the paperwork I noticed nothing really about this promised lifetime weeks and then found out it would be hard to book what I wanted.

I acted on the 5 day period stated in my contract and faxed in my revocation form along with in writing on the cover page to cancel. I followed up with the woman in cancellations at Grandview and she was really nice and said that she received everything and it looked good and I would get my refund in 15 days. I also faxed the same paperwork to cancellations in Florida for Eldorado. I called them and they confirmed they received it and everything was fine. This was on April 2nd so they have until April 17th to refund my credit card.

My question is has there been any complaints with Grandview not refunding people's money? I really do not want this to get messy but can't help but wonder if they are going to refund my credit card.
Can you give me the phone number and fax number you used in cancellation? I'm also planning on cancelling my contract with GrandView. Same story.

Thanks!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Can you give me the phone number and fax number you used in cancellation? I'm also planning on cancelling my contract with GrandView. Same story.

Thanks!

Check your paper work. They are required by law to give you the cancelation information including where to send your letter. If it's not there, then the coporate office address will be on some of the paperwork.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Also, read this entire thread. Although it appears that this particular person received a refund by sending a fax, the contract seems to indicate that you must deliver in person or by registered or certified mail or by telegraph (?).

Follow those directions in your contract. Don't just rely on what somebody else did - you may not be as lucky as this guy was.

coleman09

Reaction score
Did You Ever Recieve Your Refund?

I've read a few of your post. Did you get your refund?

I just received this email so things are looking up....

We received a notice of cancellation submitted on your behalf, and are in
the process of refunding your monies back to you, however, before we can
credit your account, I would need to verify your information.

Please, contact me ASAP, so we can process your refund in a timely manner.

OR

Simply, Confirm your information below…

1) How were you treated by our Sales Staff?
2) Has anyone from our Resort Contacted you since your Purchase?
3) Was this your first Timeshare purchase? (If Not) Which do you own?
4) What were you hoping to accomplish with your purchase?
5) What was it about your purchase that caused you to cancel?
6) Who Explained the Cancellation Procedure to you?

Bill4728

Reaction score
I recently went to Las Vegas with no intention of buying a timeshare. Went to the presentation for cheap tickets and gambling money. Ended up falling for the scam. Borderline fraud my salesperson promised me 6 weeks annually to enjoy at all the resorts or 5 weeks and the points that I could use for flights etc. It sounded to good to be true and it was.

Not to stick up for the salespeople, but what they said is true but only in the most liberal sense.

If you buy at a RCI point resort worth 50,000 points, most people would use those pts at their home resort, to make a single week reservation in a 2 bd unit. BUT, you could make 6 RCI last minute point reservations for those 50,000 pts. So technically the salesperson was right. BUT almost no one can /does make 6 last minute reservations.

So what the salespeople said is technically true, just highly unlikely. Therefore it wasn't a scam or fraud but just a slimy way of stretching the truth.

Last edited:

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what the salespeople said is technically true, just highly unlikely. Therefore it wasn't a scam or fraud but just a slimy way of stretching the truth.

I disagree. Fraud isn't just out and out lies. A half-truth and a purposeful omission of facts necessary to make that statement not misleading is a classic definition of fraud.

dabo_gc

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. I know of no reason to avoid resales. The earlier posts concern people who succumbed to the developer sales pitch.

Yeh, that's what I thought and bought resale.

But I feel insecurity in thier future when I hear the way they sell TS.

dabo_gc

Darren

Reaction score
Don't worry ... enjoy!

Don't worry.

The sales people usually have nothing to do with the operation & management of the resort. They are often completely different companies; legally.

Enjoy your time at the resort.

mltdwg

Reaction score
get free tickets from scam

I just got some free tickets from these guys, but I never thought of buying anything from them, they are thefts remember?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What was a theft?

RNR

Reaction score
I just bought a timeshare, a very small amount and Im quite happy with the purchase because Im not put out by it. Id say yes their sales methods were slimy and if you arent interested in ths prospect of TS stay away. My bf and I got a lot of incentives and were concerned that there was a scam somewhere in all this, but. . . .if what they are offering is something that works for what you are looking for, then go for it. Just be realistic and read between the lines.

Im glad to hear you were refunded, that supports that they might not be that slimy afterall.

I think it would suck for anyone not wanting to be distracted from their Vegas fun and not in a position to buy. Pretty scummy and waste of their money to bring 20 somethings in to try and high sales pressure them to buy.

But Im happy with my purchase

cutie8184

Reaction score
Need Help

Captian,

What did your fax letter of cancellation stated? I need to write one but need help to know what I have to state in it.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
cutie8184

Captian,

What did your fax letter of cancellation stated? I need to write one but need help to know what I have to state in it.

This thread was from 2009. BUT, to cancel/rescind a contract, usually it must be done in writing, sent by the USPS, NOT faxing. Instructions for rescinding "should" be in the paperwork you signed, along with the actual contract.

Mainly, all you should have to do, is state that you are cancellling the contract (give contract number, if there is one) dated xxxx, signed by xxxx, for a timeshare (weeks/points) located at xxxx.

MAIL (also use the "return receipt" method) to the address stated in the "how to rescind" paperwork. "IF" that address isn't given, mail it to the corporate address, and to the address where you signed the contract.

As stated --- follow the "rescind instructions" to the letter. The mailing date (postmark date) is the daate of rescission, NOT when they receive it.

Tony

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I just got some free tickets from these guys, but I never thought of buying anything from them, they are thefts remember?

Troll for sure.