• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

best local fare in williamsburg

acesgame

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any truly local type restaurants in williamsburg? What is the best kind of food to order there? If you go to virginia beach, will you get better seafood choices? I am sure there are more but we would like better. Thanks for your suggestions.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you asking about food that would have been local to Colonial Williamsburg or are you talking about local mom and pop places?

acesgame

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I mean what is local or fresh and wonderful in that part of the country. Like you cannot go to the coast without eating seafood or San Francisco without sourdough etc.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given your response, I'd say that you really need to eat a tavern in Colonial Williamsburg.

Williamsburg, like other southeastern towns has great seafood, BBQ, hams (Smithfield), and other offerings.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Food for Thought.

1547 Richmond Road near Cap'n Jacks. Wi-Fi. Good food. MMM Good!

But you really do have to do the ones in Colonial Williamsburg too. And Pierce's Barbecue.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We really enjoyed Christiana Cambell's for dinner in Colonial Williamsburg. Shields Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg (I believe that was the name) was great for lunch a couple of times.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Check tripadvisor.com too. I'm looking forward to soft-shell crabs. I wonder how they compare to dungeness?

PBlais

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I mean what is local or fresh and wonderful in that part of the country.

Seafood is available equally any place you can drive within 2 a few hours. The area is home to most of the Atlantic sea Scallop catch so fresh scallops (the big ones) are easy to find. They are bit tricky to cock but since they have them all the time most places can serve a good plate.

As for crabs they are not anything like dungeness crabs other than they are called crabs. Soft shell crabs are seasonal though there are methods that stretch the season out. Steamed crabs take some work to eat. Small but tasty and you have to smash your way through the shell. You will find many dishes served "imperial" with lump crab meat. Many prefer to eat crab that way. Crabs are slow starting this year and the catch does not look promising. Oysters seem to be available.

Bay clams are not as good as New England clams for steamers but the chowder clams are quite good. Hatteras and Maryland style chowder is popular. She crab soup is also popular.

Flounder is a good local Chesapeake Bay fish. Fall brings Rock fish. Tuna is commonly available but are not local as are shrimp as well.

Close places include the Yorktown river walk with three places in the low, medium and fancy range all on the water. Water front dinning is not easy to find even though there is a lot of both just not always together.

Aldo

Reaction score
On the north side of the main drag, western end of the commercial strip, there's a locally run home-style buffet...seems to be run by some colored folks, leans towards the soul food....ham, grits, BBQ, cornbread...I think it's called the Country Kitchen or something along those lines. It's right near a miniature golf course.

Absolutely tremendous homestyle cooking. Very fresh for a buffet type arrangement. Very very very affordable.