• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DCA to FF Alexandria

acesgame

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to get to the resort? Is it really reasonable to use the metro? Or should we take a cab? Are there any close grocery stores?

4BoxersGranny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two girlfriends and I are flying into Dulles on April 11th and we are taking the super shuttle from the airport. It is going to be $104.00 roundtrip for the three of us. It is $32.00 for the first person and $10.00 each for the other two so we will just split the cost three ways. I know for sure the metro would be cheaper, but we are all elderly and certainly did not want to be trying to lug our luggage up the steps of the metro. Know we will use metro to visit D.C. As far as a grocery store, I did not check on that when I talked to the resort but wish I had as I don't drink coffee but have Coke as my caffein so need to get some as I am a big drinker for my "soda pop."

I don't know when you are arriving in Alexandria, but the Pope is going to be there from the 15th thru the 17th; leaving on the 18th. Probably will make getting around D.C. a little tougher because of the traffic.

J

JoeMid

What is the best way to get to the resort? Is it really reasonable to use the metro? Or should we take a cab? Are there any close grocery stores?
METRO Blue Line, takes 7 minutes; connectd to the terminal then resort is a block from King Street Station. OR waste your money on a cab.

J

JoeMid

Two girlfriends and I are flying into Dulles on April 11th and we are taking the super shuttle from the airport. It is going to be $104.00 roundtrip for the three of us. It is $32.00 for the first person and $10.00 each for the other two so we will just split the cost three ways. I know for sure the metro would be cheaper, but we are all elderly and certainly did not want to be trying to lug our luggage up the steps of the metro. Know we will use metro to visit D.C. As far as a grocery store, I did not check on that when I talked to the resort but wish I had as I don't drink coffee but have Coke as my caffein so need to get some as I am a big drinker for my "soda pop."

I don't know when you are arriving in Alexandria, but the Pope is going to be there from the 15th thru the 17th; leaving on the 18th. Probably will make getting around D.C. a little tougher because of the traffic.

METRObus 2E to Rosslyn, then BLUE line to King Street. Two steps onto the bus and two more off of the bus. Senior fare $1.90. METRO rail saions all have escalators and elevators. Save $98 to spend on soda.

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
METRO rail stations all have escalators and elevators.
It seems like half the elevators are out of service at any given time. Metro rail fares were increased recently. If you are traveling as a family or group, you may find a taxi to be not much more money, and maybe less.

4BoxersGranny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice JoeMid but think I will save riding the metro for when we understand the ins and outs of it a little better. But I sure do hope I will not be spending $98.00 for soda. We are looking forward to a great trip though.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Mtero.

Take the subway.

Piece of cake.

Very nice system, easy to navigate.

You'll love it.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is a marvelous, but expensive, Whole Foods several blocks away on Duke Street.

You will enjoy our brand new, free trolley to take you up and down King Street. Our restaurants are superb.

acesgame

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay the Metro is for us. Now, after reviewing the website. What is the best kind of fare card for us? we will be in town from saturday to thursday morning. On thursday we have to go back to the airport to pick up our rental car to drive down to williamsburg. We won't be going anywhere but church on sunday. Should we pay as we go or get a 7 day pass? metrorail and bus card or just rail? Sorry if we sound stupid, but we are! :D

Bill4728

Reaction score

Dulles is a much longer trip to the FF resort than from Reagan. Reagan airport is right on the subway line making using the subway to many of the washington DC hotels very easy.

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confusion -- two different posters

I think things are getting a bit confused because we have two different posters. One is talking about coming from National, the other from Dulles. :wall:

For folks coming form National and with manageable luggage, Metro is the answer. Elevators and escalators will do the job.

Coming from Dulles, I would spend the money on the shuttle. There is currently no easy public transportation way to get to Alexandria from Dulles. (Since this site does not allow political comment, I will not tell you who is holding up a sensible answer. But somebody is. Gee Wilikers, Bobby, what could the initials be?)

Last edited:

4BoxersGranny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the infor on Whole Foods and the free trolley. Plan to spend a lot of time in Old Alexandria after Tuesday in hopes of getting tours to D.C. out of the way before traffic gets too bad from Pope's visit.

Helen

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the infor on Whole Foods and the free trolley. Plan to spend a lot of time in Old Alexandria after Tuesday in hopes of getting tours to D.C. out of the way before traffic gets too bad from Pope's visit.

Helen

Browse through http://visitalexandriava.com/ for information on Alexandria attractions. You will have a wonderful time. :cheer:

We also have a brand new Water Taxi to take you across the Potomac to the, coincidently, brand new National Harbor on the Maryland side of the river.