• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Capt. George's and other rest. in Williamsburg

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to be staying at the Manor Club in Williamsburg next week and I am looking for restaurants. There will be at least 7 of us and up to 12 people so I don't want many expensive restaurants.

We ate at Capt. George's several years ago and I don't remember being too impressed with it. My 17 yr. old grandson loves seafood buffets and I think he may want to go here. Can anybody tell me about the food quality? The cost?

I haven't really cared about many of the restaurants I have tried in Williamsburg although it has been several years. I used to like the Trellis but I see it has gotten some bad reviews.

We used to like a restaurant called the Gazebo and one of the taverns in the historic district but I don't remember which one.

Any advice?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Capt. Georges and my neighbor swears by it, but my wife doesn't like it so we never go. It's about $25pp.

For your money, here are the best choices:

Sal's by Victor - best simple Italian Restaurant
Pierce's BBQ
Old Chickahominy House (Lunch)
Blue Talon Bistro - great bistro food at about $15-22pp without alcohol
Regattas - Kingsmill Resort Sports Club...casual and very good

More money:
Trellis - still good, but competition has caught up
Fat Canary
Dining Room at Ford's Colony
Kings Arms Tavern
Christiana Campbell's Tavern

Breakfast:
Gazebo
Colonial Pancake House
National Pancake House

Also, there are a lot of new restaurants in New Town. The entire area of New Town wasn't even there three years ago. It's worth a trip and there are some very nice restaurants there.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second Sal's by Victor. Very good traditional italian, and inexpensive.

Red,Hot and Blue BBQ is also very good.

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a La Tolteca mexican restaurant that was in a hotel lobby - maybe Holiday Inn - they had good food, good prices.

I like Capt Georges better than most seafood buffets.

Also there is a Olive Garden in Williamsburg. As an alternative to dining in and all that involves with a large group . . if you call in the am, you can order a pan of lasagne, breadsticks and salads for up. Everything is ready to eat. They have a "to go menu on their website.

geneticblend

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite restaurants are those that are right in Historic Williamsburg, and in my opinion, are not to be missed. They are a bit more expensive than going to a usual restaurant, but the food is delicious and the experience is delightful. My two favorites are the Kings Arms, and Shields Tavern. Two others include Christiana Campbell's Tavern and Chowning's Tavern. The official Williamsburg website lists these restaurants, and gives some sample menus, and the children's menus as well. If you do decide to try one of these, I recommend reservations, but they are not always needed. Have fun! Williamsburg has a lot to offer, and I am sure you will enjoy it there!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I concur about the taverns - we loved all the taverns in historic Williamsburg. Chownings is the least expensive and least formal, and reservations are least necessary - why not at least try it? But all are worth at least 1 meal.

I didn't know there is a Red Hot & Blue there - but I'd recommend them based on my experience of this chain elsewhere - great food and not expensive. An order of their nachos (with the smoked chicken, which I love), is enough for a meal for 2 adults, probably for under $10.

musical2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also agree with the selection of the taverns within Colonial Williamsburg.

I never cared too much for Capt. Georges. For a chain, Red, Hot, and Blue is pretty good. I have heard that Pierce's BBQ is pretty good although I have yet to eat there.

Other chains in the area include Carrabbas. They have some good dishes there that my wife and I like. We also like to go to the Kyoto Japanese restaurant. It cooks hibachi style at the table. I have also gone to the Whaling Co. seafood restaurant. It was enjoyable, although not on par of the seafood restaurants right here in Maryland.

Bart

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
There is a La Tolteca mexican restaurant that was in a hotel lobby - maybe Holiday Inn - they had good food, good prices....

Loved La Tolteca- they even had bottled Sol beer- not so sure they are in a hotel lobby tho. Other than that my favorites would be the Pekings for chinese and the colonials for historic fare.

rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been a La Tolteca in the Comfort Inn Outlet Center at 5611 Richmond Rd in Williamsburg for several years, and the entrance to the restaurant is in the motel lobby. Two or three years ago a second Williamsburg La Tolteca was opened at 135 2nd St. This second one is not associated with a motel.

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We leave tomorrow morning for Williamsburg.

I've decided we'll definitely try Kings Arms and Sal's by Victor. There is several more on the "try to do" list. Capt. George is still a maybe.

geneticblend

TUG Member
Reaction score
The King's Arms has their famous "Peanut Soupe", a tavern specialty! When we went there the last time, I had "Mrs. Vobe's Tavern Dinner" which included chicken breast, ham, potatoes, pecan pie, and more! My husband had the "Colonial Game Pye" which had venison, rabbit, duck and vegetables and he said it was one of the best dishes he had ever eaten. Those Williamsburg restaurants right in Colonial Williamsburg such as the King's Arms, all have their menus displayed outside of the restaurant. So you can look them over and check out the prices. It is nice to go there in the evenings and eat by candlelight. You can usually see the fife and drum parade marching down the main street from the restaurants. At night they carry torches as they march along. When you arrive in Williamsburg you should go to the Visitor Center and get a schedule of events for the week. You can schedule your dinner to coincide with some of the other events that are going on in Colonial Williamsburg. Also near the King's Arms Tavern is a nightly ghost walk which is fun.