• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there such a thing as a $20/month small contract

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was thinking about getting a small club wyndham contract and have been looking for a while now, but I have not seen one I could live with.

The idea is to rent points when needed, and not worry about points expiring.

The smallest club wyndham contract I have seen have annual MFs of $500 or more.

That is too much for me.

Has anyone of your seen a club wyndham contract in the under $300 per year category?

If so, will you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks.

You would get a better deal just renting from some of the owners on here when you want something. There are quite a few of them (Ron, Linda -not me, and more)

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Why buy a small contract if you only intend to rent reservations from others? You can no longer transfer points between accounts.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was thinking about getting a small club wyndham contract and have been looking for a while now, but I have not seen one I could live with.

The smallest club wyndham contract I have seen have annual MFs of $500 or more.

That is too much for me.

Has anyone of your seen a club wyndham contract in the under $300 per year category?

Thanks.

Just the minimum Club Fee is $12 a month. At $6/K, that would leave you room for 16K points.

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option to consider is to use www.endlessvacationrentals.com instead of buying Wyndham points, or renting from an owner. Do not confuse this with Wyndham Extra Holidays which has their own website and rental days/nights available to book. It is different pricing than RCI Extra Vacations. I always compare to see if there might be a better deal. You might be surprised with what you find!

I have found vacations cheaper than RCI extra vacations getaways using the Wyndham/RCI portal. It is interesting to me, because endless vacations is part of the RCI group (but run with their own website), yet they have some of the very same offerings/inventory and specials that may cost much less. They even have last minute inventory specials too! No commitment or maintenance fees like a timeshare.

If you use the entertainment book code www.endlessvacationrentals.com/ent15 you can get special discounts that may be up to 25% less off their rates.

I happen to have a small Wyndham points contract in my portfolio. I have other Wyndham contracts so it was just extra points for me. It gave my family access to my Wyndham points.

There are many ways to find vacation deals! Here on TUG BBS you can find rentals at great prices too from other owners. Some of the deals seem too good to be true! There is also ebay.

Cynthia T.:)

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
so heres a technique that ought to enable you to rent points. This is the relevant rule:

When confirming an Express Reservation, 90 days or less prior to check-in, you may rent points up to the cost of the reservation. The cost to rent points during the Express Reservation window is $8 per 1,000 points when you book online or $10 per 1,000 points when the reservation is confirmed by a Vacation Guide.

So inside 90 days make a reservation at a very high cost resort, New York Shearwater, Desert Blue etc Today you could do a 375000 point reservation at Bali Hai

use your 50000 points and rent 325000 at $8/1000

then cancel the reservation and you will have 375000 points in your account good for all of 2016

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
so heres a technique that ought to enable to to rent points. This is the relevant rule:

When confirming an Express Reservation, 90 days or less prior to check-in, you may rent points up to the cost of the reservation. The cost to rent points during the Express Reservation window is $8 per 1,000 points when you book online or $10 per 1,000 points when the reservation is confirmed by a Vacation Guide.

So inside 90 days make a reservation at a very high cost resort, New York Shearwater, Desert Blue etc Today you could do a 375000 point reservation at Bali Hai

use your 50000 points and rent 325000 at $8/1000

then cancel the reservation and you will have 375000 points in your account good for all of 2016

Can't you only rent enough to cover the last night of the reservation? Edit - as usual, you're correct Ron. :) I missed the "Express Reservation" part of your post.

Still, it's likely a more costly proposition than just renting the reservation from someone to begin with.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't you only rent enough to cover the last night of the reservation? Edit - as usual, you're correct Ron. :) I missed the "Express Reservation" part of your post.

Still, it's likely a more costly proposition than just renting the reservation from someone to begin with.

You are right. It will cost him a little more but he retains control which is worth something

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you did decide to purchase a small points resale contract make sure to first get a look at the Club Wyndham Plus Member's Directory. Link: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/index.php#/1
You will have a good idea of what amount of points you would need to stay a few nights or a week somewhere depending on the season. You can choose to travel in Prime, High, Value, or Quiet Season depending on the amount of available points you have?

You should also know that maintenance fees differ from resort to resort. Some maintenance fees are much higher than others for the same amount of points when they are deeded at a particular resort. Some people look to buy at a resort for the lowest possible maintenance fees for their points. Some people buy at a particular location and pay higher maintenance fees. There is no standard maintenance fee rate between all of the Club Wyndham timeshare properties. However, if you have Club Wyndham Access (CWA) you do not have a deed to one property. You have a membership in Club Wyndham to an expanding list of properties and pay an average yearly maintenance fee for the resorts that are part of the group. Do you want deeded ownership rights or CWA?

If you purchase a small contract, you can opt to "Credit Pool" your points (look that up in the member's directory) and use them to get a larger unit or stay a full week in a higher demand season) Keep borrowing from future years to get what you need. This may work well for you? If you need another vacation after you have used up your Wyndham points, you could use RCI "Last Call" and pay under $300 to book a week's vacation online. No points are involved for that. RCI also has the "Extra Vacations" for a cash purchase ( no exchange fee needed) and has specials throughout the year.

Keep in mind (when you use RCI), you can select to use your Wyndham points plus you pay the RCI $209 exchange fee. Depending on how the resort classifies the demand season: Quiet, Value, High, Prime. A Hotel Room or Studio in Wyndham points cost 35K, 52K, 77K, 90K . A 1 bedroom 63K, 77K, 105K, 126K. A 2 bedroom 77K, 126K,165K, 205K. A 3 bedroom or larger 112K, 159K, 232K, 300K . It is helpful to know how many points a vacation might require before buying a timeshare. Afterall, you want to have enough to go somewhere, right?

If you book a vacation and need to cancel - know the rules so you don't lose points. You must cancel a reservation 15 days or more with Wyndham. RCI has their own point forfeit structure or you buy the vacation protection and only lose the exchange fee.

With the "Endless Vacation Rentals" site which non-timeshare owners can also use, you can cancel 5 days before and get all of your cash funds returned! I always compare my timeshare versus non-timeshare vacation options. I always look for quality resorts and destinations. If I can't get what I am looking for with timeshare, then I look elsewhere. My last vacation was $600 less expensive than using RCI's Extra Vacations for a property that was not available with points - only cash. I opted for a larger unit with Endless Vacation Rentals and at a less expensive price.

I use my Club Wyndham timeshare to book many vacations. I look forward to my vacations and am very careful about finding the best places for less dollars. My family enjoys our Wyndham timeshare ownership because it works for us. I have found the Wyndham system easy to use.

It is important to figure out if you need a small, medium or larger size contract? Can you use the points each year, every other year, etc... Most of all do not buy what you cannot afford. There are options to make things work to get more for less. Not everyone's needs are the same. Not everyone can be a Mega Wyndham owner. What works well for you is what matters. Some people like the flexibility of timeshare points to stay a few days, a week or longer? Other people like owning a fixed week somewhere - no points.

You can always rent a vacation from a Mega owner, or get a Wyndham rental from someone? Are you flexible? There are always these bargain deals here on TUG BBS. Owners who have too many points need to rent the reservations they have booked. You can get a vacation rentals for $700 or under! These can be for large units. You might get lucky and get a vacation rental at a too good to be true price!

Find out what works for you? Read the Club Wyndham Plus Member's Directory and figure out if a small points contract can work for you?

Good luck with your decision!

Cynthia T. :)

Last edited:

Zeke_62

Reaction score
The number of points you are allowed to rent per year is limited to the number of points you own. In Ron's example. If you own 50,000 points, then you can rent a maximum of 50,000 points at $8/1000 per year.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The number of points you are allowed to rent per year is limited to the number of points you own. In Ron's example. If you own 50,000 points, then you can rent a maximum of 50,000 points at $8/1000 per year.

I don't know because when I need more points I just buy another contract

But there are no qualifications in the paragraph I quoted

What do you see? What did I miss?

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option might be to acquire (resale) a small-modest contract of about 154-168k ever other year (EOY). If you pick the right resort, you might end up with about $40/mo every year MF. You could have a nice trip every other year rather to pay the credit pool fee to combine your 50k points.

Zeke_62

Reaction score
To set the stage: I am platinum. Long time owner. Added a resale Sept use year and for years rolled points forward. Developer points are 1M. PIC and resale put us at 1.5M. We normally cancel and rebook with upgrade. A few years ago I wanted more points in order to hold several large units at a time each year. We book several rooms and have family all join us for a week at a different place each year. I did not need to add more points on a yearly basis as once I had cancelled and rebooked we had plenty of points for our needs. I decided that renting a bunch at $8/1000 would do what I wanted and I could keep rolling the extra from year to year to use for the same purpose. I rented more than we owned. Got a call from OC and they explained and showed me in the literature that the limit is the number of points that you own. OC was very polite, called me, gave me some time to evaluate and call them back with which ones I wanted cancelled, and then refunded the rental cost.
I found it again just now - copied from online learning center
The amount of points you may rent each calendar year is limited to the amount of points you receive for your annual ownership allocation.
For example, if you receive 154,000 points each Use Year, you may rent up to 154,000 points each calendar year.
Bonus Points and PIC Plus Points are not considered part of this total.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
To set the stage: I am platinum. Long time owner. Added a resale Sept use year and for years rolled points forward. Developer points are 1M. PIC and resale put us at 1.5M. We normally cancel and rebook with upgrade. A few years ago I wanted more points in order to hold several large units at a time each year. We book several rooms and have family all join us for a week at a different place each year. I did not need to add more points on a yearly basis as once I had cancelled and rebooked we had plenty of points for our needs. I decided that renting a bunch at $8/1000 would do what I wanted and I could keep rolling the extra from year to year to use for the same purpose. I rented more than we owned. Got a call from OC and they explained and showed me in the literature that the limit is the number of points that you own. OC was very polite, called me, gave me some time to evaluate and call them back with which ones I wanted cancelled, and then refunded the rental cost.
I found it again just now - copied from online learning center
The amount of points you may rent each calendar year is limited to the amount of points you receive for your annual ownership allocation.
For example, if you receive 154,000 points each Use Year, you may rent up to 154,000 points each calendar year.
Bonus Points and PIC Plus Points are not considered part of this total.

Thanks Zeke

So if the op wants to enjoy vacations at Wyndham resorts, the answer is to seek out a megarenter and rent from them

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
105k EOY contract should be close to what the OP is asking depending on which resort is selected. Maintenance fees vary.

Cynthia T. :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP ... you already OWN at 5 resorts (is it?)... but you appear to WANT the flexible life of Wyndham's points.

Suggest you diverse ONE (or more) of your other ownerships ... and devote those MFs with your $300 budget and get something booked other than a STUDIO unit in the offseason for a week or a offseason 1bdr for a 3 night weekend ... buy a BIGGER Wyndham contract (my advice and personal opinion).