• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bringing Food To St. Thomas

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I travel to Aruba I usually bring a few food staples from home in a soft sided cooler. I freeze some lobster meat and bring a few staples. Can I do this when traveling to St. Thomas? Anyone ever have any issues traveling to St. Thomas with food?

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Can't answer your question but when and where are you going? We will be at The Elysian November 4-14.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done it without problems

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am leaving for Westin St. John next week. I was wondering about taking a hard ice chest with wheels as one of my checked items. We are traveling from CA on a red eye with a 3 hour stop in Miami. We want to make sure our frozen meat stays that way. We will be wrapping it in newspaper as well. I sort of remember someone writing about doing that and closing it with duct tape. TSA could look in if needed.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Hi-

I have taken a rolling soft-side cooler as a carry-on to both the Bahamas and St. Thomas. Couldn't do this in Mexico, they confiscate food!

I use dry ice. (check with your airline, most will allow it if you declare it. Plus it is usually gone from the night before by the time I get on the plane.) Food stays really frozen. I found a perfect sized rolling cooler to use as a carry on and the benefit of not checking it is less chance it gets lost. I have read horror stories of getting your lost checked bag back several days or a week later with spoiled food. YUCK, would rather sacrifice one of my carry-ons and check my clothes.

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
wow and you go through the security with a cooler with food in it? I am flying Jetblue to St Thomas. Have you ever used Jet Blue? How do you info the airline before hand or when you get to security?

I'm leaving on Saturday--Cannot wait!!

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Make a meatloaf, freeze it solid ahead of time, and place it in the center of the cooler. Works like blue ice.

Fern

I am leaving for Westin St. John next week. I was wondering about taking a hard ice chest with wheels as one of my checked items. We are traveling from CA on a red eye with a 3 hour stop in Miami. We want to make sure our frozen meat stays that way. We will be wrapping it in newspaper as well. I sort of remember someone writing about doing that and closing it with duct tape. TSA could look in if needed.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
wow and you go through the security with a cooler with food in it? I am flying Jetblue to St Thomas. Have you ever used Jet Blue? How do you info the airline before hand or when you get to security?

I'm leaving on Saturday--Cannot wait!!

Yes, I take everything right through security. After it goes through the x-ray it inevitably gets flagged, they open the cooler and see it is food. I tell them I am headed to an island. Never been a problem. Once I think they dug down to see my hamburger tubes, guess they thought it looked like something dangerous. Usually I make the TSA person hungry!

No I haven't flown JetBlue. Go to their website type in dry ice in the search feature or check their carry-on restrictions. Food as long as "in a thawed state" is not liquid is ok. Only issues might be cream cheese or margarine type. Since toothpaste is restricted and those would be similar. For those things I would put in checked bags inside a small cooler. I put all the frozen food inside one of those huge ziplock bags inside the cooler just to prevent any condensation issues. Don't want to drip on your fellow passangers.:rofl:

Have fun!!

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen people check-in large hard side coolers with food to St. Thomas flights.