• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mountainside Resort at Stowe or Smuggler's Notch?

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I posed one question last week about resorts in Vermont and it appeared many were very pleased with Smuggler's Notch.

As a quick review, I am booking a week for my niece and family. There will be four adults and three children; 7 years, 5 years, and a baby.

She has narrowed down her choices (based on availability for June-July, 2015) to two resorts...Smuggler's Notch and Mountainside at Stowe, both in Vermont.

Has anyone stayed at Mountainside Resort at Stowe? If you have, can you give me your thoughts on it?

What would be your choice between these two resorts for this time period and the kids' ages?

Thanks! We hope to wrap up this decision this weekend and REALLY appreciate your input since none of us have ever been to Vermont!

Diane

eduam99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Mountainside. It is a nice, cosy little resort and we've had great stays there with our 2 kids. The units are smaller 2 bedrooms without lots of extra space. I think Smuggs would probably be more appealing given their various activities and amenities, it really does market itself as a family resort. Mountainside is a little more 'bare bones'. Either way, Vermont is absolutely beautiful and Stowe is a great place. Enjoy!

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the grown ups are only happy if the little rugrats are happy. That being the case I'd say Smuggs hands down.

We have friends who stay at mountainside and they like it. They don't have kids though and for them its all about the skiing. Stowe is much better skiing than Smuggs (not that you care in July) but the only reason you'd choose Mountainside over Smuggs is because you want easy access to Stowe.

Book Smuggs - The kids will love it which means everyone else will be able to enjoy themselves!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Smuggs Pass is going to be an additional $342 plus tax for the week. It is such a tough call without the pass you basically just get the use of one pool. A la carte if everyone went to one of the waterpark areas for one day the cost would be $190.

I don't believe we did what I would consider $350 worth of usw from the pass but overall I would say that with the pass paying an extra $350 with the exchange cost was probably worth it at the resort. The children I had were 17, 11 and 6 plus we had 3 adults.

Lou

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I stayed at Mountainside (no kids) and really enjoyed it. As far as location, if you want to go anywhere in and around Stowe it would be a better choice. Easier access to restaurants, the Stowe recreation path, Ben and Jerry's, Gondola sky ride, Burlington and Lake Champlain, etc. We took a drive up to Smuggs and I don't think I'd like to make that drive all week. However, if you are mostly staying at the resort and not venturing out a lot, then Smuggs would probably be the best choice.

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel time from Smuggler's Notch to Stowe?

Thank you, everyone, for the great thoughts from experience on things to consider for either resort.

How long does it take to go from Smuggler's Notch into the town of Stowe in the summer by car?

Thanks and please join in if you have additional thoughts to add, I appreciate the help.

Diane

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I would stay at Smuggs over Mountainside, I heard there are many stairs at Mountainside, are there lots of stairs at Smuggs?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Stowe is about a hour drive. We stayed at Smuggs--loved it! Went when kids were 8-13. We drove to Ben/Jerrys for tour 1 day, Stowe/Von Trapp lodge 1 day, Montreal 1 day, hiked 1 day. Lots of things to do if they don't buy the Smuggs pass. We played frisby golf for $5, hiked (free), went "creeking" (free), did the llama hike (paid, kids were 1/2 price), bike riding (small fee), etc. The "free" pool was fine. Some Smuggs events are free without the pass--evening sing-a long with camp fire, Market Day evening fair at Smuggs, etc. They could also do a day or two of Smuggs camps for the kids (fee was $100 +/- per kid). My kids (now 13-18) still think Smuggs was one of their most fun vacations. Elaine

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you book the reservation with your Wyndham points the Smuggs pass is free (or at least I've always been given my smuggs pass for free). I'm also told that Smuggs passes are free with RCI points except during July/August. I know when I've stayed in June and Sept using RCI points they've just given me the passes.

The "FunZone" i.e. bounce house compound is always a big hit with our under 6 set.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you, everyone, for the great thoughts from experience on things to consider for either resort.

How long does it take to go from Smuggler's Notch into the town of Stowe in the summer by car?

Thanks and please join in if you have additional thoughts to add, I appreciate the help.

Diane

Stowe IS NOT an hour drive from Smugglers Notch as someone else mentioned. 1/2 hour is more like it. Plus- you get to drive through the Notch- an experience in itself. We drive to Stowe several times during the week we are at Smuggs. No big deal. You can also drive to Burlington if you care to- it's an hour drive. But during the summer months there is no reason to even leave the resort-plenty to do.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you book the reservation with your Wyndham points the Smuggs pass is free (or at least I've always been given my smuggs pass for free). I'm also told that Smuggs passes are free with RCI points except during July/August. I know when I've stayed in June and Sept using RCI points they've just given me the passes.

The "FunZone" i.e. bounce house compound is always a big hit with our under 6 set.

If a Wyndham member books with Wyndham points and is checking into the room the Smuggs pass is free. If the Wyndham member who booked the stay is not there, no free pass. If you book through RCI when the Summer or Winter programs are not going on, then you do not pay for the pass. There is a charge for the pass while the ski slopes are open and when the water parks are open.

The anticipated dates of our Summer programs and activities are June 5 - September 7, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if stays up until mid June do not require a pass. I would count on stays booked through RCI mid June through Labor day to be charged for the pass.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stowe IS NOT an hour drive from Smugglers Notch as someone else mentioned. 1/2 hour is more like it. Plus- you get to drive through the Notch- an experience in itself. We drive to Stowe several times during the week we are at Smuggs. No big deal. You can also drive to Burlington if you care to- it's an hour drive. But during the summer months there is no reason to even leave the resort-plenty to do.
It is an hour from October to May when the notches is closed and you swing a 108/100 loop round the top.

But I see now this is a summer question

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It is an hour from October to May when the notches is closed and you swing a 108/100 loop round the top.

But I see now this is a summer question

Correct. Off-season you have to drive either through Morrisvile or Underhill because the Notch is closed starting from around mid- October. Then- it takes an hour.

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You!

Thank you for all of the great replies and input on which resort to choose. The decision has been made....Smuggs it is! The thoughts everyone shared helped immensely in making the final decision. Thank you, and I'm sure my niece and family will have a wonderful time!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you for all of the great replies and input on which resort to choose. The decision has been made....Smuggs it is! The thoughts everyone shared helped immensely in making the final decision. Thank you, and I'm sure my niece and family will have a wonderful time!

Enjoy! Any other questions- give a holler! Owned there since 1999 and even visited twice before then, so know a lot about the resort and the area.

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at both! With kids, I'd recommend Smuggler's Notch. Mountainside is nice too, but there's not much for kids to do there. We adults enjoyed the village of Stowe, shopping, visiting breweries, etc.

At Smuggs, you're more isolated. You can still visit Stowe easily in the summertime, and it's fun driving through the Notch and maybe taking a hike on your way to Stowe.