• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Family friendly near PA?

enamom

Reaction score
It looks like this year it is just going to be my mom, me, my 2 daughters (7 and 4) and my 7 week old on out July vacation. We were going to do Williamsburg like we did last year but I am looking for other options. I'm not sure how much I am going to want to be driving around with a baby so I would prefer to find someplace that has decent activities or at least a lot to do for smaller kids. We are in central PA so somewhere within a few hours would be ideal. Any suggestions?

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
It looks like this year it is just going to be my mom, me, my 2 daughters (7 and 4) and my 7 week old on out July vacation. We were going to do Williamsburg like we did last year but I am looking for other options. I'm not sure how much I am going to want to be driving around with a baby so I would prefer to find someplace that has decent activities or at least a lot to do for smaller kids. We are in central PA so somewhere within a few hours would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Silverwoods or Wolf Run at Treasure Lake just outside of Duboise is my recommendation. Main pool is great and a few beaches at two of the lakes. There's a nice playground, pool, and mini golf in the camping area. As a quest there you have the rights to use all the facilities at Treasure Lake, a gated community.

http://www.silverwoodsattreasurelake.com/

http://www.easymapmaker.com/map/b908a16f46a4274c82485eb51db23b46

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten is a great all-around resort with tons of stuff to do on-site

http://www.massresort.com/

Classes & Activities:

In the Activities Department, we are constantly changing and improving our classes and events to ensure our guests have the absolute best experience possible. Throughout the year we offer literally hundreds of different activities and events ranging from world-class entertainers and shows to fantastic arts and crafts classes.

Recreation:

Le Club Recreation Center
The Rink at Massanutten
Woodstone Recreation Center
Mountain Peak Pool
Massanutten Resort Kids' Club
Nature Center
Mountain Biking/Bike Shop
Orienteering at Massanutten
James E. Lambert Park
Family Adventure Park
Fishing
Woodstone Meadows Stables/Petting Farm
Disc Golf
Scenic Chairlift Rides
Zip Line Experiences
Tours and River Adventures

Massanutten Teddy Bear Factory:

Massanutten Resort is proud to introduce the Massanutten Teddy Bear Factory, a build-your-own-stuffed-animal experience, where there is an animal for everyone.

Start with an animal of your choice, choose how you want it stuffed, select a special touch (a star or hugs and kisses) and then help the "Stuffing Expert" fill your animal with love and fond Massanutten memories.

You'll receive a personalized birth certificate to go with your newly stuffed animal and a cradle to carry it safely home or to a loved one.

Dress your new friend in the latest styles with a Massanutten T-shirt, fancy dress, fishing outfit or jeans, tennis shoes and a baseball hat.

Our Massanutten guests and visitors have enjoyed the wide selection of animal choices we have in stock. We have almost any animal you could want - from cats and dogs to deer and frogs. Creating your own stuffed animal is an experience not to be missed!

Indoor Water Park:

It's always 84 degrees F.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shawnee (a Wyndham managed property now) in the Poconos.

2 outdoor pools, plus an indoor pool. Large activity center. Good program of activities. Plus nightly camp fires with marshmellows. Near by water parks.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten I agree is a great family resort. You need to place a request now for a summer week in July @ this resort. Good Luck.

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score

You could try looking at the 'resorts & reviews' - click on the link in the red banner at the top of this page, and then on the page that comes up, down the left side there is a set of filters - click on 'Northeast'. You will see a lot of options here with reviews. Also cross check on Tripadvisor (more pictures and more recent reviews, but some are questionable).

Really depends on how far you want to drive and what types of activities you like.

Good luck btw

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are looking to exchange through RCI for this summer, currently the only availability is going to be Massanutten, Williamsburg and a couple of Pocono's resorts. Inventory does change and something else could come up but if you want more choices you will need to start looking and planning for 2016 now. You can also start an ongoing search.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We like the Poconos...and we travel with 4 kids. We stayed at Shawnee July 2013, in the Fairway units (OLD!). The units are not the best, but they are very roomy, which was important to us. Shawnee is close to I-80, so not hard to get to lots of different activities. We took a family vote about this summer's exchange trip, and the kids voted to go back...so we're in Ridge Top/Summit. (It always amazes me what children like...they need room to play, a nice pool, etc...the condition of the unit doesn't phase them much!) The pools are very nice, and they do run lots of activities. It's not far to Quiet Valley Farm, which your children are just at the age to enjoy. There is an outlet mall close by, too, and there is some sort of children's amusement park just over the river in Jersey...but we've not been there.

We've also stayed at Eagle Village at Tamiment. It is further north/a little more remote. Most of the units there are like an individual treehouse. Again, they were older, but very serviceable, and there was a ton of space. Close to Bushkill Falls, which is a favorite spot of ours.

And way back when I was pregnant with our twins (August 2003!), we stayed at Tanglwood at Hawley. It is more out of the way, but is near Lake Wallenpaupack. We enjoyed lots of water activities that summer.

There are lots of things to do in the area, though I often find my kids are content doing way less than I'd think! Have fun making plans!