• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Website Question

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the following might happen:

You select a date for a possible reservation and enter, say, 2 days. The website shows you what is available (let's say a 1 BR). However, when you put in the same date for only a single night it does not show the 1BR as available, but a studio (or 2 BR), whatever...

Why would the 1BR, which is available for 2 nights not show up as available on the same day for 1 night?

Thanks in advance!

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are normally restricted to a 2-night minimum during ERP, but can sometimes find a 1-nighter if there is any orphaned inventory. I've seen this at Old Town Alexandria where there are 1BRs and Studios (or two 1BRs) used to make a 2BR Lockoff. In fact, I booked a single night there over 7 months in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the way the Wyndham reservation system currently works is this: you can't make a single night booking at any time (unless there is orphaned inventory). Outside of 90 days, you generally cannot make a 2-night reservation (there are a few exceptions to this rule depending upon the resort). Also in general you cannot make a Mon-Thursday reservation more than 90 days prior to check-in.

The rules are relaxed inside of 90-days. However, the "rule of 2" still applies. That rule is enforced until the first night of a "doublet" has passed. The rule of 2 is... if there is inventory remaining from a week that equals 2 nights, both nights must be booked.

This generally only causes a problem if inventory is tight, because if there are 3-night stays that cover the night you want, you can "orphan" the night as long as it is not the middle night. So let's say you want to stay on Thursday, September 29th (only). You look and find no availability for a 1-night stay. However, you find availability for a 3-night stay and a 2-night stay starting on September 29th. You first book a 2-night stay starting on the 30th, then go back and pick up the single night you just orphaned. In my experience you actually have to book the reservation rather than putting a 15-minute lock on it. It doesn't always work because the 2-night request could also come from the inventory that starts on the 30th (thereby orphaning a night you don't need).

It can be complicated. If you get a good vacation counselor they can sometimes work with you to get you what you want. They can actually see the inventory that they are pulling from so will know whether they can free up the night you want.

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the way the Wyndham reservation system currently works is this: you can't make a single night booking at any time (unless there is orphaned inventory). Outside of 90 days, you generally cannot make a 2-night reservation (there are a few exceptions to this rule depending upon the resort). Also in general you cannot make a Mon-Thursday reservation more than 90 days prior to check-in.

The rules are relaxed inside of 90-days. However, the "rule of 2" still applies. That rule is enforced until the first night of a "doublet" has passed. The rule of 2 is... if there is inventory remaining from a week that equals 2 nights, both nights must be booked.

This generally only causes a problem if inventory is tight, because if there are 3-night stays that cover the night you want, you can "orphan" the night as long as it is not the middle night. So let's say you want to stay on Thursday, September 29th (only). You look and find no availability for a 1-night stay. However, you find availability for a 3-night stay and a 2-night stay starting on September 29th. You first book a 2-night stay starting on the 30th, then go back and pick up the single night you just orphaned. In my experience you actually have to book the reservation rather than putting a 15-minute lock on it. It doesn't always work because the 2-night request could also come from the inventory that starts on the 30th (thereby orphaning a night you don't need).

It can be complicated. If you get a good vacation counselor they can sometimes work with you to get you what you want. They can actually see the inventory that they are pulling from so will know whether they can free up the night you want.
I was going to ask what an "orphaned" night is, but you did a great job explaining BigRob.

Now I understand how this can happen...

I appreciate the help and understanding!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk