• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with SPG activity for SVN stay

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me decode the points I earned from my stay at WSJ?

We spent $1526 at the WSJ in food, services, etc. My SPG statement shows 3052 points earned for the stay plus another deposit of 1526 for a 50% bonus Elite status? We did use our Starwood Amex but I don't think those points are included yet since they're typically labeled as SPG AX and I don't believe they hit until after the statement date for the card closes.

Since we earn 2pts per $ spent on the Amex, I'm assuming that we'll get another 3052 deposited on top of that?

Just don't understand why we earned so many points. In total it looks like the $1526 spend will net us 7,630 points total?

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got this email

This just arrived in my inbox. So I guess this is my answer:

Enjoy SPG® Gold status

You can now enjoy 3 Starpoints per eligible U.S. dollar spent at participating hotels & resorts, a 50% bonus over Preferred level. That's in addition to the Starpoints you already get with your Card. Remember, you can earn SPG Gold status after spending $30,000 or more in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.*

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me decode the points I earned from my stay at WSJ?

We spent $1526 at the WSJ in food, services, etc. My SPG statement shows 3052 points earned for the stay plus another deposit of 1526 for a 50% bonus Elite status? We did use our Starwood Amex but I don't think those points are included yet since they're typically labeled as SPG AX and I don't believe they hit until after the statement date for the card closes.

Since we earn 2pts per $ spent on the Amex, I'm assuming that we'll get another 3052 deposited on top of that?

Just don't understand why we earned so many points. In total it looks like the $1526 spend will net us 7,630 points total?

Sounds right -- everyone gets 2 points for every $1USD (or equivalent), and another 1 point for SPG Gold or Platinum status. these will post within a day or two of checking out. If you're Platinum 75, you'll get another 1 point that usually shows up on the weekend after your stay ended. this is all regardless of how you pay.

Your credit card points will be separate, and usually post a few days after your billing statement. that will be for everything since the last statement as a single lump sum, plus any bonus offers that the credit card company was offering.

Can't remember / not sure if you get the choice of a Gold / Platinum amenity at checkin? if so, and you opted for points, that would be another 250 / 500 once for the entire stay.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't earn Gold status until after out stay last year so didn't get that bonus.

So with that and the Amex, at a value of 2¢ per SP, it's about a 10% payback. Nice!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Can't remember / not sure if you get the choice of a Gold / Platinum amenity at checkin? if so, and you opted for points, that would be another 250 / 500 once for the entire stay.

No bonus points at SVN properties for gold/plat.

Sent from my iPad

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
So with that and the Amex, at a value of 2¢ per SP, it's about a 10% payback. Nice!

You can rack up pretty decent returns on the hotel side, if you opt-in for Green Choice (i.e. no housekeeping) which gives you 500pts/night (except on the day of check-out).

I think I routinely got well over 2000 points per weekly 2 night stay at one property for less than $275USD in charges, so ~15% at the 2c redemption value, by the time I got the base points, the elite points, the Plat75 bonus point, the Plat amenity points and the no housekeeping points. And then the credit card points are on top of that.

And there was a promotion last quarter that doubled/tripled the base points, so add another 500 or 1000 each stay -- it was just raining points... :D

Pretty much a free night's worth of points every month for a little over $1000.