• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Talking to Starwood now, assigning 2014 unused weeks to II, conflicting info

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have always assigned my unused SBP to II to use for exchange purposes. Then I call Starwood with the II exchange number, and they tell me what contract number was assigned to what exchange number, so I can add it to my spreadsheet and be organized with my Starwood stuff. I am being told it was never that way by a gal who has worked for Starwood for "a little over a year now."

This minute, I am on the phone, and I am told by this newish person that I need to register my weeks to II first, so I can deposit the weeks. This requires a fee, which I have never had to pay. So I told her I want all of the contract numbers that don't have II added, so I can do it myself for one low fee. I feel sorry for this II person, who is going to be on the phone with me for a while. :rofl:

This is news to me. I usually just assign the weeks through Starwood, and Starwood deposits the weeks into II. Of course I buy everything resale, so maybe this is the new norm for Starwood. I just deposited 3 weeks the same old way on 7/18. I didn't have to call II for those.

If I have to pay II to have my weeks show on II, I want the week # and unit number to show, like it does on all of my generic weeks. I want control over my deposits and that means no more calls to Starwood to find out what exchange number matches what contract.

What is particularly annoying to me is the insistence, "this is the way it's always been," when in fact it is NOT the way it has always been.

Yes, I own a lot of SBP, all bought resale, and I didn't buy anything to requal.

With Marriott, I have to pay a fee to add my weeks to II because I am a resale buyer. II may have something to do with this "new" same ol' policy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Cindy - this is correct:
I am told by this newish person that I need to register my weeks to II first, so I can deposit the weeks.
It has always been this way and it's in the FAQ at the top of the forum. So if you have new purchases that you have not registered with II, you have to register each deed, before you can deposit them. ;)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With starwood it seems there is the written rule and the way it works which may or may not follow the written rule to the letter. It is actually II's rule that you have to have each week registered. You can either pay ($39 or at least that was the fee) to add a week or you can add one or more weeks at the same time you pay your yearly renewal fee.

In the past Starwood's system never required you to do this if you owned in the same resort, size, and season. You could just designate for exchange and they all could go through the same generic place holder. Apparently this is not the case. You will need to extend your membership and add everything that you don't currently have. If it is like the Marriott week that I have doubles you still won't know which is which but there is one for each one and once the reservation number or transaction number goes in then they are differentiated and one disappears as a possible future exchange.

I don't own more than 2 of any single kind of unit but I imagine it will still be a mess and you will still be calling up after the fact to clean up the mess on the wrong units being used.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When the current II/Starwood rules were implemented in 2009, they stated that each week had to be registered with II, before it could be deposited.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Cindy - this is correct: It has always been this way and it's in the FAQ at the top of the forum. So if you have new purchases that you have not registered with II, you have to register each deed, before you can deposit them. ;)

How odd that I have never had to do it before. I have always just said, "deposit that unused week (which I got nearly free with this year's use included) with II," and they do it for me. So I have gotten by with it for years. :whoopie: So now, I am going to do it the way they want, but really, it's not been that way for me.

Now to ask II for all of my weeks to have the week # and unit #, so I can tell which is which. Let's see what they say about that!

All I can say is, she better have given me all of the weeks I need to add.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the long run, I think it's in your best interest, because in theory, it will help Starwood and II differentiate between the deeds.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Whenever it was time to renew (or if I had an offer that actually worked for me) I added and removed weeks to reflect current ownerships but if I was in between I took advantage of the fact that starwood/ii system couldn't differentiate between weeks. It was a loophole but now its gone.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the long run, I think it's in your best interest, because in theory, it will help Starwood and II differentiate between the deeds.

I think the way it is at this minute will still be a mess. Although you will have multiple units listed they don't refer back to a contract number that you can see. In fact I have EOY and EY units listed at SBP and they look identical. If they aren't lockoffs and you are designating for deposit you should be ok because I think they will add in a transaction number but if you don't know if you want to lock off or not until you see something I think it will be the mess it always has been.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Really? Do you think they will add the week # and unit # to each week. This will be a very long phone call because I am going to tell them every specific one we own. II is going to hate me. I want all of the generic ones without that info taken out, in that case.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think you will see anything designated on your deposits, but internally, II and Starwood must have some kind of organization - or maybe that's wishful thinking! :D