• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Resorts for Hiking and Scenic Beauty

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We are in our early 60s and enjoy the outdoors. Interested in easy to moderate hikes in the mountains, lakes, or coastal areas; and beautiful scenic attractions during the Sept or Oct time frames. Mostly cook in the condo and a few simple meals out at moderately priced restaurants.

There is current RCI availability in diff areas of VT and NH. Would appreciate any suggestions from others on what areas would best meet our interest.

Another consideration is easy access to flights from Houston TX as my cousin is joining us.

How is the Smuggler Notch area with regard to hiking? It is near Lake Champlain which would be a nice visit and I think there are cheap flights to Burlington.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joyce

hdmass

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Here is a link to some hikes around Smugglers' Notch:

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/fall/outdoor/self-guided-hikes.php

Prime leaf color seems to be in September and can be done by Columbus Day. Programming at the Resort also ends around Columbus Day.

The resort is made up of neighborhoods. North Hill, West Hill and Highlands are the newest buildings but they are furthest from the Village center. There is a shuttle that will take you around the resort (I think it still operates in the Fall).

The road through the Notch closes mid to late October. With it open Stowe is about 20 minutes and with it closed it is about an hour around the mountain.

Burlington is an easy 45 minute drive and the airport is small and easy in and out.

Good Luck.

If you go to www.smuggs.com there is a tab in the upper right that will take you to Fall. I don't know if they have updated it for this coming fall, but it gives you an idea of what will be available.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We owned at Smuggs for a dozen years when had kids at home and had many great hikes on our summer visits there. I might struggle to climb Mansfield today, but it was a great trek 15 years ago.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
We are a little older and enjoy hiking around trails on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We owned for a number of years at Alpine Village and used that for our base.

Asheville is the nearest larger city but I don't know about flights. There are many resorts in the area between Asheville, Boone, and Blowing Rock.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hello my good ole buddy Joyce

Park City,Utah comes to mind. We visit to ski (6 or 7 times) but many here on TUG enjoy Park City in the Summer and Fall seasons. Amazing town, so much fun, free city shuttle system, very easy to go anywhere, anytime !!!!

I think you'll enjoy these two links:

http://www.visitparkcity.com/blog/index.cfm/2012/8/31/Family-Fun-this-Fall-in-Park-City/

http://www.google.com/search?q=fall...zJMXEsATW9oCgAg&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1019&bih=526

miss talking.......take care......send photos!

Last edited:

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And I would suggest Sapphire Valley in North Carolina, gorgeous mountain area with lovely hikes to many beautiful falls and they will be outstanding this year with all the snow that's come their way. We love it there......check it out
Pat

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The White Mountains of New Hampshire offer many hiking trails and great scenery. For RCI resorts, I would recommend the resort at Bear peak or Deer Park in Lincoln.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have owned at Smuggs for 16 years and am a member of the VT251 club, so I have visited 111 VT towns so far. Stowe is also close to Smuggs (through the Notch) and has a beautiful scenic bike and walking path. You can also visit the Trapp Family (Sound of Music fame) Lodge and take a tour and there are trails there as well. Also, I vacation in the Lake Champlain region- lots to do in both areas- hiking, shopping, biking, boating, good restaurants, pretty much everything.

Also, I visit New Hampshire a lot and the White Mountains and Lake region have a lot to offer as well. We have stayed at Innseasons at Pollard Brook which is central to a lot of things.

Can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:

Tranger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoy the Appalachians esp the Great Smoky Mtn National Park. If you go during the off season it is less crowded and even more beautiful. There are lots of timeshares in the area if you like to exchange or rent.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
anywhere would be good

Either Vermont or the White Mountains of NH would be great for what you like. For best leaf peeping look to the first week of October as the average peak for central Vermont. Plan a week or so either way for farther north or south. You can not beat the Whites for grandeur. Vermont is much more pastoral. I love both. For moderate hikes the whites may be a bit rough if you like to climb to the top of peaks. We know and enjoy more the Sugarbush area. You cannot beat the Mad River Valley for beauty. Smuggs would be great also. Mansfield may be a bit of a challenge, but there are great beautiful hikes of everywhere. Stowe is where you would go if you want tons of restaurants, shopping and people. Smuggs is a better choice as you only have to drive over the notch (a beautiful drive) to get there, but you can leave the zoo of Stowe for the quieter side. When you decide post and I can give you specific recommendations.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like what others have said about the White Mountains and the Stowe/Smuggler's Notch area.

Another consideration may be Acadia National Park in Maine, but it is a bit of a drive from either Boston or Manchester, NH.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the Park City, Utah recommendation. Lots of flights into Salt Lake City, then an easy 40 minute drive to Park City. We loved Marriott Summit Watch and did a lot of hiking (Sundance was wonderful!) while we were there.
The concierge at Summit Watch was great for recommending places to hike..also lots of good restaurants close by too. We had a wonderful time there!

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didnt say what time of the year you were interested in.

Gatlinburg, TN The Smokey Mountains

If you like to travel in the shoulder seasons - May and September, there are always alot of availability in Park City or Snowbird.

Cedar Breaks in Southern Utah would give you many day trips to Bryce and Zions.

Flagstaff or Sedona would give you Oak Creek Canyon. Not to mention all the National Parks close by.

Portland Area - I think its Weeping Woods gives you the Mt Hood area. Be sure to stop in Sandy to Joe's donuts. I dream about thier apple fritters and then you really do have to hike.

We are going to Maine and New Hampshire this spring. Hope to do some short hikes and visit Arcadia NP.

Montana - close to Glacier Park. Can drive into Canada and hit some of thier hikes too.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I like what others have said about the White Mountains and the Stowe/Smuggler's Notch area.

Another consideration may be Acadia National Park in Maine, but it is a bit of a drive from either Boston or Manchester, NH.

Oh yes, lots of trails and carriage roads around the park and great scenery.