• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Charlston and Edisto beach questions

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning on another beach vacation in the Destin/Panama City Beach area but want to fit in some sightseeing. We are thinking of flying into Atlanta and staying in the Wyndham Ocean Ridge resort at Edisto beach for three nights. We know nothing of the resort and area but seeing Charleston has been on our bucket list.

Is there enough in the area to keep us busy for three days? Is there a lot to see in Charleston and what is there to see in the area. Hilton Head does not seem that far away so would that be worth a side trip? I always like having a meal or drink at a restaurant by the ocean and it seems like Edisto Beach, although a quiet area from what I have read so far, might have a couple of nice places for an evening meal or drink.

So I would appreciate any comments or suggestions that would get my wife especially fired up for this trip (it never takes much for me to get excited about any trip). She is worried there would not be much to do for those three days. It would be an eight hour drive for the next leg of our trip but I am hoping the sight seeing could make the extra driving worthwhile. We are from Albuquerque New Mexico so we will not be in that neck of the woods very often if at all (I would like to plan a week at Myrtle Beach some day).

Gary

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Edisto is VERY quiet....not much to do there but relax (or play golf). The last time I was there (about 5 years ago now), their were only a few restaurants on the island and they were OK...not great. But some did have pretty views. I did enjoy it there, but it's more a place to relax and walk on the beach in my opinion. I love Charleston; plenty to do there if you like historic homes, history, good food and shopping. Plus it's a beautiful city. Hilton Head is great for their beaches, bike trails, golf courses, nice restaurants. (The timeshares are much nicer there too ! Of course I'm a bit biased since we own 2 weeks there :) Much more going on there than at Edisto . It's also only 45 minutes to Savannah which is another wonderful southern city. Have you thought about staying in HH instead of Edisto ? You could potentially visit both Savannah and Charleston from there (although it would be a couple of hours to Charleston from there...)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
We did a nature/dolphin cruise and then did a driving tour of Botany Bay Plantation. You can rent bikes. We enjoyed walking and shelling along the beach. There's mini golf and games if you are staying at Wyndham. For three days, I would probably do one Charleston and two low key days enjoying Edisto.

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are Wyndham owners so that is why we are staying at Edisto. We are going to have a lot of low key days at Panama City Beach and Destin. I can never have enough relaxing days but my wife has a restless spirit and wants more to do then hanging around the beach. I enjoy seeing different things as well so we are hoping during the day we can go different places and just kick back in the evening.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We are at Marriott's Barony on Hilton Head Island. We stayed at the Disney resort here last week...

Anyway, we did several touristy things, but we most enjoyed our cruise to Daufuskie Island, followed by lunch, then a golf cart to tour the island on our own. It was a wonderful experience and trip.

We are thinking of a drive to Savannah tomorrow, but we have oceanfront at Barony, and honestly, it's been a lot of fun just sitting on the lanai.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One year we took the boat from HHI to Savannah on the Spirit of Harbour Towne. We did the hop on hop off trolley once we got there. It was more relaxing and scenic than the drive.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Edisto, Charleston, Savannah

Not much to do on Edisto but as covered above. There is enough to do in Charleston for far more than three days! It's a mostly two lane, hour or hour plus drive in to CHS from Edisto. Savannah is also lovely and has less to do than Charleston and might fit your schedule better. Personally, I would not try to cram it all in the time you have.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I agree with the above posts, next to nothing to do on Edisto Island but may days worth of things in Charleston.

Make sure to visit the Tea Plantation, it's only a couple hours with the bus tour but very interesting.

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of combining with Myrtle Beach trip

Instead of tacking a few days at Edisto before going to Panama City Beach and Destin we are now thinking of combining it with a week at Myrtle Beach on a separate vacation. We could then fly into Charleston instead of Atlanta, a whole lot less driving.

If we do this we will stay 4 days instead of three at Edisto. I think there will be a lot to do at Myrtle Beach. I know nothing of the area but it appears to be like a Branson on the ocean.

I am not a swimmer or snorkeler but I love to be by water. For me I like a relaxing place with some charm right on the ocean. Myrtle Beach would probably be a great place to see shows and I am assuming there would be places to eat or have a drink right on the ocean. Edisto would be our resting place for a lot of sightseeing.

So now we are thinking of tacking a few nights near Atlanta when we go to PCB and Destin but that will be the topic of another thread. Your responses have gotten us pretty excited about an Edisto/Myrtle Beach trip and I have not even touched looking into things to do at Myrtle Beach.

So your responses are very much appreciated. I just love this forum!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Agree with as much time in Charleston as possible. Plenty to do, beautiful city. Highly suggest a carriage ride ----private too expensive, so go with the group ride---easy to see and hear driver, about 15 people, very interesting history along the way. Later, WALK from the old slave Market down Meeting Street toward the Battery park, and return back along the water to see Rainbow Row. The old homes on Meeting St. will blow you away---mansion after mansion, and the little secret gardens are gorgeous if you sneak a peek.

King St. is the lifeline of downtown Charleston, and has many, many great shops and restaurants.....you could spend all day doing that.

Google "Things to do in Charleston" and see the list---it'll cover anything and everything you might be interested in. Some like the submarine or ship tour, some like other things. Charleston plays host to many festivals and art events, so be on lookout for anything during your visit....always interesting. Slave Market has small items for souvenirs---prints, paintings, trinkets, leather goods, clothing, food and condiments....fun to see and browse.

Great breakfast spot at Eli's Table on Meeting St..... Dinner at Hank's, High Cotton, or Peninsula Grill. All close to Slave Market area and very walkable. There are other very fine restaurants in Charleston, some way too expensive imho, so those 3 are excellent and more reasonably priced, yet still very fine dining. You won't be disappointed....all require reservations (easy to use OpenTable online, well ahead of stay). Ate at all 3 recently and will return to all again.

also agree with Hilton Head instead of Edisto, UNLESS you do want total peace and quiet and not much more. Edisto Beach is hard to walk due to wood pilings along beach to stop erosion and waves, all perpendicular to water and you have to continually walk around them. Lots of shells. HH has great walkable beaches.

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The main reason we are going to Edisto is to use our Wyndham points instead of having to get a hotel or motel. So it seems like it will be just a place to sleep and get recharged for the next day's activities.

Gary

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The main reason we are going to Edisto is to use our Wyndham points instead of having to get a hotel or motel. So it seems like it will be just a place to sleep and get recharged for the next day's activities.

Gary

understood.

and it'll be a nice and useful time.

Edisto is beautiful in its own right, just different in its lack of commercial development, which might be a good thing. Just wanted you to be aware because expectations are important. We've experienced many good times at Edisto crabbing and fishing and enjoying the undisturbed pristine beauty of the island and its back waters. Enjoy

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I love this forum

TUG is a great forum for a variety of reasons. I really appreciate the tips you and others have given me because it does help line up our expectation with reality.

Gary

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I mis-spoke in my previous post, we found plenty to do at Ocean Ridge and the surrounding area but we were mainly interested in entertaining my grandsons, ages 4 and 1.

With the pools, ocean beach, and mini golf we were fine but it's not right for everyone. As far as sight seeing well known attractions, that's where there's next to nothing.

The resort will shuttle you around to the different areas in large golf carts but they quit in the early evening so plan accordingly.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Slave Market"

Agree with as much time in Charleston as possible. Plenty to do, beautiful city. Highly suggest a carriage ride ----private too expensive, so go with the group ride---easy to see and hear driver, about 15 people, very interesting history along the way. Later, WALK from the old slave Market down Meeting Street toward the Battery park, and return back along the water to see Rainbow Row. The old homes on Meeting St. will blow you away---mansion after mansion, and the little secret gardens are gorgeous if you sneak a peek.

King St. is the lifeline of downtown Charleston, and has many, many great shops and restaurants.....you could spend all day doing that.

Google "Things to do in Charleston" and see the list---it'll cover anything and everything you might be interested in. Some like the submarine or ship tour, some like other things. Charleston plays host to many festivals and art events, so be on lookout for anything during your visit....always interesting. Slave Market has small items for souvenirs---prints, paintings, trinkets, leather goods, clothing, food and condiments....fun to see and browse.

Great breakfast spot at Eli's Table on Meeting St..... Dinner at Hank's, High Cotton, or Peninsula Grill. All close to Slave Market area and very walkable. There are other very fine restaurants in Charleston, some way too expensive imho, so those 3 are excellent and more reasonably priced, yet still very fine dining. You won't be disappointed....all require reservations (easy to use OpenTable online, well ahead of stay). Ate at all 3 recently and will return to all again.

also agree with Hilton Head instead of Edisto, UNLESS you do want total peace and quiet and not much more. Edisto Beach is hard to walk due to wood pilings along beach to stop erosion and waves, all perpendicular to water and you have to continually walk around them. Lots of shells. HH has great walkable beaches.

Please forgive me for this correction in advance. :eek: It probably shouldn't, but it just really grates on my nerves when I read or hear someone call historic Charleston's market the "Slave Market." Slaves were never sold at our market. It was a meat and vegetable market back in the day. We just call it "The Market" or "The Charleston Market." Drivers on the carriage tours almost always point this out to visitors. There is a slave market open to the public in Charleston where slaves were auctioned. That is on Chalmers Street and it is now a museum. It was one of the last places that we know of before the Civil War where slaves were sold. Slave were probably sent to shop at the market, perhaps even to sell there, but freed African Americans also sold there as well as caucasians. It was/is not known as the "slave market" except by those who have heard it called that from someone else (usually a tourist) and passed along this misunderstood name.

I live a block and a half from the market. My husband sells merchandise to its vendors. We know many of them. I am also a tour guide/docent for Charleston Historic Foundation and love to share Charleston's history. One hears all sorts of things but better to pass along what is more in line with its history.

I agree with your other good suggestions! :)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Please forgive me for this correction in advance. :eek: It probably shouldn't, but it just really grates on my nerves when I read or hear someone call historic Charleston's market the "Slave Market." Slaves were never sold at our market. It was a meat and vegetable market back in the day. We just call it "The Market" or "The Charleston Market." Drivers on the carriage tours almost always point this out to visitors. There is a slave market open to the public in Charleston where slaves were auctioned. That is on Chalmers Street and it is now a museum. It was one of the last places that we know of before the Civil War where slaves were sold. Slave were probably sent to shop at the market, perhaps even to sell there, but freed African Americans also sold there as well as caucasians. It was/is not known as the "slave market" except by those who have heard it called that from someone else (usually a tourist) and passed along this misunderstood name.

I live a block and a half from the market. My husband sells merchandise to its vendors. We know many of them. I am also a tour guide/docent for Charleston Historic Foundation and love to share Charleston's history. One hears all sorts of things but better to pass along what is more in line with its history.
I agree with your other good suggestions! :)

If that's true then I will not use that inaccurate terminology anymore, but honestly that's what I've heard all my life. Bad information. Thanks for correcting me.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia which will serve as a corrective "homework assignment" for me, plus a one-hour timeout every day for a week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Market_(Charleston,_South_Carolina)

again, thanks :)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks!

If that's true then I will not use that inaccurate terminology anymore, but honestly that's what I've heard all my life. Bad information. Thanks for correcting me.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia which will serve as a corrective "homework assignment" for me, plus a one-hour timeout every day for a week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Market_(Charleston,_South_Carolina)

again, thanks :)

I appreciate you being so kind about it! :) I rarely even hear it called City Market though that is probably correct as I have read "Charleston's City Market" on a tourist map. I've never heard anyone call it "Centre Market" though it said that was in earlier times and makes sense given its location with North and South Market Streets on each side of Market Hall and the buildings. The people I know seem to have gotten lazy and just say "The Market" or "The Charleston Market."

There are a good many people who have heard it called "The Slave Market" and don't know differently. You just happened upon one person to whom "hearing" that is like hearing chalk screeching on a chalkboard! I shouldn't be that way but I can't help it! OCD I guess. I'm sorry! Thanks for understanding and no more timeout for you! :)

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Glynda.

We learned during our visit to Charleston that it derived that name in some circles long ago before tourism, because slaves were sent there to do shopping, as Glynda said.

This info was imparted during a very informative carriage tour we took there, by a guide who seemed to know history pretty deeply. I wish I remembered his name and company, because sometimes I find those narrations shallow and annoying, but this one seemed exceptional. We stayed after the tour and talked with him for about a half hour.

We also visited the museum which was the old auction house, and listened to an excellent presentation there - I recommend that highly.

I loved Botany Bay in Edisto, IMO worth a whole day! One tour I don't recommend at all is a historic tour in Edisto given by a local white woman, whose perspective was how good and kind the white folks were to their slaves. Give it a miss.