• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Vistana Resort StarOption Increase

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from starwood saying that the SO's for my 2BR SVR unit are increasing from 76,000 to 81,000 "effective with your 2015 use year". Just wondering if everyone got changes to theirs? is this just Vistana? If just Vistana this would seemingly be a great thing as so many other resorts have an 81,000 threshold for certain units. If things are changing across the board then would depend on where everything else goes.

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What phase? Never mind, I see it in your user cp.

They definitely aren't changing across the board.

whwaldo

Reaction score
Received the same email today for my 2br unit in SVR Lakes section. 76k increased to 81k.

Email says "... Gold Select season is no longer applicable. You will now be able to reserve a seven night stay in Platinum season ...".

Makes sense - remember that for a 2br high season it was 81k to reserve seven nights even though as an owner of that resort you only accrued 76k annually.

WINSLOW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, just got our email also (Fountains). So glad & a surprise, I never thought they'd up them. It will be easier to use & keep track of, for us anyway. Now if only Marriott would fix/adjust theirs??.....but that's another story.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is nice for SVR owners, but the end result will be that it will become even more difficult to make Staroption reservations at the high demand resorts like Maui and Harborside, because this gives SVR owners enough SO's for a 1 bdm. Premium during high season.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got the same email. 2BR LO is now 95,700 SO.

As a result of your new StarOptions value, the Gold Select season is no longer applicable. You will now be able to reserve a seven-night stay in Platinum season in the villa type you own. Please refer to the StarOptions Values Charts for all future reservations.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't get any emails, but went to MSC to look, and sure enough, all of my SVR's have increased their SO values.

SVR Cascades 2BR L/O went from 90,000 to 95,700
SVR Spas 2BR went from 76,000 to 81,000

Now what am I supposed to do with 15,700 SOs in 2015 when I've already made all of my plans for the year...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Roll them over to 2016...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Starwood did that to help sell SVR... II is still showing Gold Select. I wonder if that designation will change to reflect the "Platinum" status as indicated in the email.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is they are trying to streamline and make their resales more valuable. The awkward points in Orlando made it a point play and now they can try and sell you more when you want to upgrade. However, to the point it will make the more popular resorts harder to get into at 8 months - so owners better lock in their places in the 8-12 window.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Personally, I think that if/when the new WKORV-NN resort resumes construction, the other Maui resorts will see an SO bump. It's a great way to simultaneously spur new developer sales while also devaluing older, sold-out resorts at the same time. This provides opportunities to sell upgrades as well.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally, I think that if/when the new WKORV-NN resort resumes construction, the other Maui resorts will see an SO bump. It's a great way to simultaneously spur new developer sales while also devaluing older, sold-out resorts at the same time. This provides opportunities to sell upgrades as well.

I don't think this will ever happen - the stipulations put on this project by the powers that be on Maui, make it virtually impossible to build. It has to be COMPLETELY self-sufficient - power/water/sewer. The cost would be prohibitive.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Nice that they increased the SOs :whoopie:, and hopefully got rid of those weird workarounds where you could reserve a different week at your home resort during home reservation period, but didn't have enuf star options to do the same thing.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Excited. 10,000 extra Staroptions means another day's vacation can be added on. :cheer:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
So would a resale Lakes 2 Bd L/O now retro to 95,700 SO vs 90,000?

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
great!!! i had sent them an email asking them to do this because of the differences between 76k and needing 81k everywhere else. probably many others have sent the same email and now a year later it is happening.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
great!!! i had sent them an email asking them to do this because of the differences between 76k and needing 81k everywhere else. probably many others have sent the same email and now a year later it is happening.

Trust me - if they are doing this, it benefits Starwood in some way (like sales) they wouldn't do it just because owners asked. Staroptions are not a deeded benefit.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
So would a resale Lakes 2 Bd L/O now retro to 95,700 SO vs 90,000?

I should think so.

As sptung mentioned, it might help Starwood sell SVR to get more units into the network. Maybe Starwood has an accounting, reporting reason to get those old pre-Sheraton Vistana timeshares into the network. That's what a junior salesman told us at an owner update about 3 years ago...If a salesman can be believed :) Ours was one of those oldies. There is some interesting language in the SVN retro agreement depending upon which Vistana phase your timeshare is in.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Personally, I think anything that streamlines and simplifies the convoluted system that they've created is a positive.

I think that 81,000 is in line with other 1 bdrm platinum units and makes sense.

The real question is whether they will start changing the SO values for other resorts.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fine by me -- owners who paid full boat deserve to get the extra SOs on top.

I wouldn't be so happy if this was a mandatory property. Anything that dilutes the pool of SOs is frankly annoying to me. They can change the rules at any time, but I would seriously grumble at more drastic changes.

-ryan

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Personally, I think anything that streamlines and simplifies the convoluted system that they've created is a positive.

I think that 81,000 is in line with other 1 bdrm platinum units and makes sense.

The real question is whether they will start changing the SO values for other resorts.

Exactly my thoughts, though I doubt any other similar changes are forthcoming any time soon. These SVN options allocations were always off balance and it's good to have them corrected.

Sent from my iPad

jackreed256

Reaction score
I have 2 two bedrooms at the Palms in Orlando. Both 76,000 SO have been raised to 81,000 SO. I now have 162,000 SO. You need 159,000 SO for 3 Star Elite. Am I now three Star Elite? I called Starwood on Jan. 22. They did not know the answer. Said they would get back to me.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have 2 two bedrooms at the Palms in Orlando. Both 76,000 SO have been raised to 81,000 SO. I now have 162,000 SO. You need 159,000 SO for 3 Star Elite. Am I now three Star Elite? I called Starwood on Jan. 22. They did not know the answer. Said they would get back to me.

Did you buy them both direct from the developer?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. We bought both from the developer. The first was in the Villages. Then an upgrade in the Resort.

If they're both through the developer and in SVN, then they should both count towards Elite status.

I wonder if they're going to adjust the requirements for Elite status levels in light of the free SOs they just gave out. Anyone get bumped over the 5 Star level (649,000 SOs)?