• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with new SBP ownership and first reservation

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I acquired a free week from TUG for a SBP 1-bedroom premium villa, week 13 unit 1021. My understanding was that this was a "platinum" week in the sense that you can make reservations over the summer.

I know it might be too late for this summer, but when I called the reservation desk they told me my window to make a reservation using this week was weeks 15 to 23 and 36 to 42? Is that accurate or did I just get bad info from the reservations desk?

Thanks for any help!

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I just should've called back owner services. They were able to search for A summer week for me and told me that I have from weeks 9- 43 if I can remember correctly. Unfortunately, nothing available for the summer.

durrod

Reaction score
Check availability online

You can check availability online yourself on my star central.com
I own there but a EOY ( this not be my use year) and doubt all summer it's already completely book. On my use year I have been able to reserve an august reservation six month with several dates to pick from. Sign up online and check on a self serve basis.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can check availability online yourself on my star central.com
I own there but a EOY ( this not be my use year) and doubt all summer it's already completely book. On my use year I have been able to reserve an august reservation six month with several dates to pick from. Sign up online and check on a self serve basis.

Thanks I did check online and it looked like there was availability in August. But on the phone she said no. Maybe it has to do with the size of my unit - a large 1br I'm assuming?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You have a premium 1 bed villa, and all that is available in the summer is small one bedrooms.

Ironically, I just got off the phone, inquiring about the same exact thing. Goes to show how tough it will be to get something in summer.

You can check the reservation system online daily. Inventory does change. I was able to get a 2 bed for 4th of July week around early March last year. Don't know why. Maybe Starwood releases more weeks later. I know Staroptions pulls more inventory than I can. They gyp the floating week owners by depositing huge numbers of weeks into RCI way ahead of time. Those ain't Staroptions weeks they are dumping into the secondary exchange company, those are OUR weeks. Venting. Sorry.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, that's good info to have. I haven't been to MB in years so was looking forward to trying to go this summer.

I'll keep checking.

Thanks

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If it really is unit 1021 then it is a gold plus week that floats 9-43 and 47

If you have one in the Palmetto section (buildings 18-26) week 13 falls in the gold season and floats 10-14 and 43-52.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of trader is this? If I put into II or RCI, could I expect to get a decent trade?

Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You should expect to get an equivalent trade, at a similar resort.

It will have more trading power in II, where you will get the Starwood to Starwood preference.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would expect something like 25 tpu's from Rci. I agree it would probably do better with II but it depends on what you are looking to get. If you don't already have an rci account, I wouldn't get one just for this.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would expect something like 25 tpu's from Rci. I agree it would probably do better with II but it depends on what you are looking to get. If you don't already have an rci account, I wouldn't get one just for this.

I have both II and RCI. I'm really looking for something in Southern CA this August - middle - as we have a wedding to attend. Not sure how likely that is. If not I'd probably want to put in an OGS for Disney. So was thinking RCI would be better? Not sure what to do!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
25 TPU's is not a lot for Disney, unless you can add more TPU's from another resort.

Southern CA in August is going to be challenging.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guess is Southern California in early to mid August would be 35-40 in a one bedroom (which may come up) and 45+ for a 2 br which probably won't come up unless you are looking for 2016 and start an OGS and look daily now.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
25 TPU's is not a lot for Disney, unless you can add more TPU's from another resort.

Southern CA in August is going to be challenging.

Thanks Denise. I was afraid of both of those things :)

I'm wondering if II or RCI is better for a try at Southern CA?

Is the *wood preference likely for an equal sized unit?

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is Southern California in early to mid August would be 35-40 in a one bedroom (which may come up) and 45+ for a 2 br which probably won't come up unless you are looking for 2016 and start an OGS and look daily now.

Ok thanks for letting me know, that's really helpful.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise. I was afraid of both of those things :)

I'm wondering if II or RCI is better for a try at Southern CA?

Is the *wood preference likely for an equal sized unit?

You can only put in an OGS for the same size unit. You may be able to upgrade with an instant online exchange, but that has become a lot more difficult.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The nice thing about having a 1 br in II, is that it gets almost the same trading ability as a 2br for instant exchanges. A studio gets a lot less power. You can only do an ongoing request to a 1 br unit but for the most part 90-95% of the online exchanges for 1 and 2 br will be available with a 1 br starwood unit. Harborside has gotten tougher to exchange up to a 2br and 50% of the 2 br Hawaiian starwood inventory might not be available with a 1 br but you will still see some 2 br HI inventory.

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
got a 3-BR Marriott

Last January we had a 3BR Marriott Imperial Palms in Orlando from a small 1BR summer SBP via an instant exchange in II. I was happy!
Susan

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll need to brush up on II. I've actually never made a trade in II, just RCI.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, this is a resale week I got; I have other starwood weeks that have II accounts associated with them, but I'll need a separate II account to deposit this week, correct?

I currently have an RCI account; I think if I need to open (and pay for) a new II account, I'll just try it in RCI this year. It looks like I'll get somewhere between 22-27 TPU for it. Not great but might find something good.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - voluntary Starwood weeks have to go in a private II Acct. This is because the II fees for the mandatory weeks are paid by your SVN fee.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested or its helpful, they deposited week 39 and it hit me 28 TPU.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you know they deposited week 39? The standard procedure is to get a generic credit, rather than a specific week. I would not be happy with week 39, which is off-season.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you know they deposited week 39? The standard procedure is to get a generic credit, rather than a specific week. I would not be happy with week 39, which is off-season.

On the RCI website it says: Start Date: 26-Sep-2015; on my RCI app it says Week/Year: 39/--

I'm assuming I have to take what tey give me?