• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Super Bowl Week at WKV

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how many tuggers who own WKV have Super Bowl week reserved and are frantically trying to rent it out? Appears there's a big glut of rentals posted on Redweek with lots of them asking crazy prices (e.g. $10k). I ended up renting mine out after dropping my price to a very reasonable amount as I priced it very fair. I got slightly more compared to spring training march rates but I was surprised at the overall lack of interest as I was expecting a quick and easy rental at higher rates given that most luxury hotels are sold out. I think next time the super bowl is in Phoenix, I'm going to pass on trying to rent it out as it came down to the wire.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how many tuggers who own WKV have Super Bowl week reserved and are frantically trying to rent it out? Appears there's a big glut of rentals posted on Redweek with lots of them asking crazy prices (e.g. $10k). I ended up renting mine out after dropping my price to a very reasonable amount as I priced it very fair. I got slightly more compared to spring training march rates but I was surprised at the overall lack of interest as I was expecting a quick and easy rental at higher rates given that most luxury hotels are sold out. I think next time the super bowl is in Phoenix, I'm going to pass on trying to rent it out as it came down to the wire.

Super Bowl will always come down to the wire, as you dont know who is playing until 2 weeks before. I had reservations the last time the game was in New Orleans and didnt get them rented until the 4th quarter of the Baltimore playoff game

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I rented my Kierland TS for Super Bowl week the last time the game was played in Phoenix. Never again.

The problem is that the potential renters don't know who they are until two weeks before the game. Most aren't familiar with timeshares ("Why can't I just rent it from Thursday until Monday?"). Negotiating and getting paid in that short a time period is just too stressful.

I got a good price in 2008, as I expect will some of those renting this year. But until I rented the small side of my Kierland unit -- which happened only three days before the tenants checked in -- I was at risk of no tenant, no money, and much aggravation.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i had many takers after i posted on facebook that i was going and also had an additional unit. but i live in seattle and we're in the superbowl and i rented for my cost plus a little extra.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I rented my timeshare the last time the Superbowl was in AZ, but as others have said, it was a pain, and I rented it at the very last minute. The potential renters who inquired were all TS newbies, and they were difficult to work with.

The guy I finally rented to was a NYC Stock Broker, and he was a nervous wreck. He must have called me 10 times and asked me if it was a scam, and he kept calling every Starwood related entity that he could find in Phoenix, to ask them the same questions - as if they knew who I was!

I didn't bother this time - not worth the hassle.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Ever try to rent it during the Barrett-Jackson auction week, which was last week? Should be high demand then as well.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points

$10,000 for one week at a timeshare? Yikes! :eek:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I originally reserved SB week, but changed to mid-March. Glad I did. Rented 1Bd Premium for ~$1400 over MF.

Last edited:

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying right now to rent my 1 bedroom Premium Villa at Sheraton Desert Oasis for 1/25 - 2/1 and have only had a few people contact me. They don't want the whole week - only want Thursday or Friday with Monday checkout.

I have dropped my price and did offer the 3 days someone wanted for a fair price but no takers yet,

Is my option, if I don't get it rented by the end of the week, to cancel the reservation and book Thanksgiving and then deposit with II?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Starwood does not permit you to select the week that is deposited. You just call Owner Services, cancel the Resv., and ask them to "designate your week for exchange," which means you get a "deposit credit."

See the Starwood and II FAQ at the top of the forum for all the details.

I think that part of the problem with the demand for your rental is that check-out is BEFORE the Superbowl.

Last edited:

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood does not permit you to select the week that is deposited. You just call Owner Services, cancel the Resv., and ask them to "designate your week for exchange," which means you get a "deposit credit."

See the Starwood and II FAQ at the top of the forum for all the details.

I think that part of the problem with the demand for your rental is that check-out is BEFORE the Superbowl.

Denise,
If I cancel, how badly will this affect my trading power with the week deposited with II?

My check-out date isn't good but I have noticed that Friday to Friday's aren't going either. I think people maybe leery of Craigslist also.
Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As discussed above - the market is flooded, and it's just not the great rental week, one would think.

Cancelling has no impact on the exchange value of a home resort reservation.

With Starwood, the exchange value doesn't fluctuate - you get the blended trading value of your whole season, no matter when you deposit.

Does your week float 1-52?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are not in SVN you can cancel up to the day before check in with no penalty and then even wait until the last week of the year 2015 and you will have the exact same trading power (although less time) when exchanging through II as you would have if you had prepaid your MF and designated for deposit with II on January 1 , 2014.

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,

My week does float 1-52 Red SDO- One Season

I hate to see Sheraton get this week though. You know they are going to be able to rent it for bucks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think SDO rents for big bucks - it will probably just go to II.

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think SDO rents for big bucks - it will probably just go to II.

During the last few weeks I have been checking SDO website for reservation rates just for the heck of it and I was surprised at the rates.

1 BR Premium was going for $500 - 700 per night

I think that's pretty high, for my pocket book any way.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But that doesn't mean they get takers at that price.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
But they will probably only get two or three nights of rental fees and I think their rate includes hk every day. They also might not have a lot of starwood owned and association controlled units to rent out. If everyone starts cancelling and they get more weeks they might drop prices.

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I do this?

I have a 2br lockoff reservation at SDO right now.

Can I keep the reservation for one side and deposit the other 1BR?

Does it matter to me which side I deposit? Do they get different trading power in II because one side is a Premium unit with more amenities than the other - bigger kitchen and with fireplace?

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a waste of time

I have a 2br lockoff reservation at SDO right now.

Can I keep the reservation for one side and deposit the other 1BR?

Does it matter to me which side I deposit? Do they get different trading power in II because one side is a Premium unit with more amenities than the other - bigger kitchen and with fireplace?

Had only 3 responses to ads for this rental and none wanted the whole week. Yesterday I cancelled the large Premium 1BR unit with SVN. Keeping the small side for friends that are coming in from NY. They are only staying Thursday through Sunday. Found out from SDO that if I was to rent, or use myself, Sun - Wed then a cleaning fee would be $60 so the unit would be clean for our friends. I requested one of the (2) 3 story buildings because they have elevators and near the pool area. Was that a smart move?

I spent way too much time setting up the ads, updating them, etc. I won't do this again. I don't think I will even try to rent any of my timeshares again. It is just too much of a hassle.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I cancelled my SB week when I realized it was more hassle than it was worth, and reserved mid-March (1Bd Prem) at WKV. Got $1400 over MFs for one of my weeks in mid-March months ago.
Renting can be a hassle, but done correctly is not that hard.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are just too many rentals for SB week, most people only want to stay 2-3 days, and in most cases, they don't want to check-out on Sunday, so over-all, it's a difficult event to work with.

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Had only 3 responses to ads for this rental and none wanted the whole week. Yesterday I cancelled the large Premium 1BR unit with SVN. Keeping the small side for friends that are coming in from NY. They are only staying Thursday through Sunday. Found out from SDO that if I was to rent, or use myself, Sun - Wed then a cleaning fee would be $60 so the unit would be clean for our friends. I requested one of the (2) 3 story buildings because they have elevators and near the pool area. Was that a smart move?

I spent way too much time setting up the ads, updating them, etc. I won't do this again. I don't think I will even try to rent any of my timeshares again. It is just too much of a hassle.

Thanks for sharing that, I had one reserved as well and suspected it was going to be a hassle and cancelled the reservation a few weeks back, got a trade into wkorv/n instead.

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, I had one reserved as well and suspected it was going to be a hassle and cancelled the reservation a few weeks back, got a trade into wkorv/n instead.

You're welcome.
Congrats on the trade to WKOVRN. We have not stayed North but did get 2 good trades to WKOVR with our SDI/SDO. If you haven't been there before you should enjoy yourself.