• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At SMV

TDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Writing this post in part because the Starwood forum gets so little discussion about ski weeks. A few people might be interested in this...

Spending a week at SMV skiing Beaver Creek. Deposited a Silver 1 BR Deluxe at WKV and placed an ongoing request for several top ski resorts in CO and Utah for MLK week last spring. 2 BD L/O at SMV was confirmed mid-summer 2014. This is the second year in a row that we've confirmed a 2 BR L/O at SMV for a 1 BD Deluxe Silver WKV over MLK week (friends used the trade last year).

Have now stayed at both SMV and WRF. Not surprisingly we prefer WRF, but primarily for the onsite access to the Westin Riverfront Gondola. The gondola is steps from the onsite ski valet (free for villa guests). At SMV, you need to take the complimentary Avon shuttle - the shuttle stop is right in front of the resort.

Rooms at SMV are very nice. As expected, finishes are not quite at the level of Westin, but nothing wrong with them. I believe they were refurbished within the last 2 years. Leather couches, full oven in the large 1 BR, larger than usual dining table in the small 1 BR side, fire places in both bedrooms and both living rooms.

The vacation gallery on the 8th floor has been renovated into a large game room (sales are all at WRF). TV viewing area, pool, ping pong, arcade games and Wii and Xbox (games can be checked out for free). This amenity is not available at WRF.

Fitness and pool facilitates are average...WRF is superior in this regard. SMV guests have complimentary access to ski lockers on the lobby level so you don't need to keep skis in the room.

Charter Sports outlet connected to the lobby. Sheraton guests get 30% off regular equipment rental rates.

No complaints about SMV. Gondola access is nice at WRF, but with kids in ski school, would need to take the shuttle to Beaver Creek Village to start the day anyway. Just not as easy to go back to the villa for lunch. With less than 40 units at WRF, I have found it to be nearly impossible to do a StarOptions trade during platinum ski season (same for the Sheraton Steamboat), so SMV is really the only Starwood resort accessible during ski season if you don't own at one of the three resorts.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you could use a 1BR on Interval for an ongoing search for a 2BR. I thought that you had to a 2BR unit to set up an ongoing search for a 2BR unless the resort didn't have any 1BR's. At any rate, I think you got a great trade. I agree with your comments about SMV. It's not the Westin Riverfront but it's very nice and the shuttle makes it very convenient.

TDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you could use a 1BR on Interval for an ongoing search for a 2BR. I thought that you had to a 2BR unit to set up an ongoing search for a 2BR unless the resort didn't have any 1BR's. At any rate, I think you got a great trade. I agree with your comments about SMV. It's not the Westin Riverfront but it's very nice and the shuttle makes it very convenient.

Correct, the ongoing request has to be for a 1 BD with a 1 BD. My memory was that the ongoing request was for a 1 BD however the SMV match came through both years for a 2 BD L/O. I went back and checked my history on II and realized that this was only the case last year. In 2014, I placed an ongoing request for a 1 BD with WKV Silver 1 BD deluxe and the match came through for SMV 2 BD L/O. In 2015, I placed a request for a 2 BD using an SVV Gold 2 BD and confirmed SMV 2 BD L/O. While not as good of a trade value as 2014, I was still pleased since I deposited a unit worth 67,100 SOs and confirmed a trade for a unit worth 148,100 SOs.

Last edited:

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize they would do that but it's good to know.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize they would do that but it's good to know.

They will match you with a 1BR or higher; if your trading power is high enough, you can get a 2BR (or higher) match.

Also, note that summer Beaver Creek is easier to trade into than winter (except for WRF which is probably equally as difficult). The SO value for a summer unit at SMV is actually only 81K (Gold+) -- not 148K as the OP had quoted.

Still a good trade as a Gold (lowest value) week at WKV goes for 25.8K in the 1BR Deluxe -- (not that SO value is the really valuation of the underlying week).

-ryan

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The SO value for a summer unit at SMV is actually only 81K (Gold+) -- not 148K as the OP had quoted.

I thought the OP was there now and was referencing ski weeks...which are 148k.

Sent from my iPad

TDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the OP was there now and was referencing ski weeks...which are 148k.

Correct...here now. Six inches new snow last night made for a great day on the slopes.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Correct...here now. Six inches new snow last night made for a great day on the slopes.

Nice! I haven't visited the SVN Colorado resorts but they're on my list to get to one of these years...during ski season. :)

Sent from my iPad

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I will be there in a few weeks to check it out.

Sunnydude

TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked a short stay at SMV for Mar 2-6 for a getaway for my wife and I. First time there and looking forward to it. Thanks for your post.