• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a timeshare from Tug Ad

AlbertaTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I decide to buy a timeshare listed privately on Tug how do I make sure I get what I think I'm getting. Do we forward the money after we receive a TS contract that has been transfered or send half first. What is the norm

foreverloves

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're using an escrow company, all monies will go into escrow and won't be dispersed until everything is in order. You could request an estoppel letter, which can verify some of the resort information, including maintenance fees being current.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ask verification for the exact ownership before I pay any money to seller. If resort system has a website with owner's account, you can ask the copy of ownership page. For Starwood, they have "what I own" page and "amount due" page, so you can ask copies of both pages to see unit number (on deed), ownership type and if MF are current. Marriott, Hilton and Worldmark has the same feature.
If you are not getting TS for cheap, using escrow is recommended. When I used JRA Services, closing cost which includes escrow service was $275 + recording fee.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No one will transfer the TS into your name without receiving payment in full. The contract is your agreement to buy the timeshare - it does not transfer the deed. To transfer the deed a new deed must be be prepared and it must by recorded with the county recorder's office, and the resort.

Transferring a TS ownership

I recommend that you pay a good faith deposit, then ask the seller for an estoppel letter, before you make the final payment.

If it's an expensive TS - I'd also recommend using a full-service closing company.

Last edited:

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
I've used escrow.com with success. It isn't good practice not to have a 3rd party hold funds-my opinion....

Anita

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Depends a lot on the price. If I'm paying a few dollars for a timeshare, I'm probably going to do as much as I can myself, phone the resort and check to make sure there's no money outstanding, etc.

Several thousand makes it worth the investment of an escrow company.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I've used escrow.com with success. It isn't good practice not to have a 3rd party hold funds-my opinion....

Anita

I agree - but right now many TS's are selling for $1-$100 and it's not necessary to pay for escrow and a full closing ($350 Avg.) for a free/cheap week, if you do your due diligence.

For a free/cheap transfer I recommend this licensed Document Prep Co. that can prepare the deed and send it for recording for about $100. The owner (Alan) is a long-time TUG member - user name "ttt". They have an "A" rating in the TUG Business Ratings - Time Travel Traders/TSTransfer

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this will apply, but I was able to change the deed to our unit in Vegas myself. Now, it was from my wife's name to joint ownership, but I did it myself. Cost was under $100, including Marriott & II fees. This was awhile, so I don't remember all the fees.