• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Points- Where to start

punegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new ts owner- My first year completed this year. I am so happy that I found this site on time, researched for 1.5 years (whenever I could) on this site and bought my week TS right from this market place.:cheer: I also understand I have lot to learn, so i keep coming back...

We take 2-3 small vacations- long weekend, 4 days vacation near driving distance around Philly- generally 4 adults 4 kids travel so need at least 2 BR unit. Will points help me selecting a location more easily? I understand I still have to do it plenty in advance but at least it will save the time deal hunting. I have browsed many points discussion on this forum, but looks like points are too complex for my brain to understand. I have some know-how but not enough to be able to make decision about if I should buy points & how to figure out how many I need ( I have seen charts and think 150K should be sufficient)? I am thinking Wyndham has good possibilities for me to offer.
Please point me in right direction.
Thank you!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is one of the more involved points timeshares but it is a mini-system with a lot of East Coast properties. And is is cheapo to buy. I would think you might be looking at a minimum of 154K in points up to 231K for a 2bdr/2ba unit. The newer resorts cost more points to book a unit - ones that the kids might like (with the water park feature in TN and WI). I would not buy more points than that til you have master more of there systems.

Renting several long weekends might give you a feel for Wyndham before you buy. After you buy, realize that long weekends are going to end up costing you cash with Wyndham fees. Owners which rent either have Gold or Platimum VIP standing by PIC'ing several other of theirs TS weeks into Wyndham or can't use their points or reservations in this economy and feel anything is better than nothing. Wyndham works best for 7 night vacations OR a balance of one big point trip and a weekend with good planning. Changing your mind repeatly does not work well either.

If Wyndham is your direction now, go read and post on the Wyndham thread.

rocketraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
clearifying

so u already bough a week and now you are looking for another TS purchase- only this time point based?
also u mentioned 4adults n 4kids- most 2b 2b occupancy is only 6 people..

just clearifying what you have and what you're looking for...

punegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarifying

Correct. 4 or 5 adults and 4 kids. If that is not feasible as you said, I can consider for 2 adults 2 kids.