• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Highlands at Sugar - Need some info

Farm girl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister-in-law is looking at acquiring a week here from a widowed friend who no longer uses it. I told her I would see what I could find out for her on TUG but there aren't any recent reviews and no sales info.

She thinks the friend is about $1500.00 in arrears for MF and wants about $4500.00 for it. I told her to find out what week it is and to be sure it's paid for in full.

Has anybody been to the resort in the last year and can anybody tell me what the current MF for a two bedroom are? I see in an old post that they were $641 in 2011 and have to assume they are higher now.

The older reviews mention the resort was getting a bit dated. Have any renovations/upgrades been done recently or might she be looking at special assessments sometime down the road?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Julie

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the name. Where is it?

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's in Banner Elk, NC. I haven't seen it, but the highest rated resorts in the area are Chetola and Blue ridge Village. I'm afraid that my feeling is that the owner would be lucky to give this one away......

NKN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several thoughts, based on internet research. I know nothing, personally, about the resort.

1) reviews on Redweek.com, Trip Advisor and TUG weren't bad. Sort of Average to Excellent. A few terribles but only a few. If I were trading in, I'd still go.

2) I'd want to know WHO is going to pay the overdue maintenance fees. To ask a selling price and expect the Buyer to pay the late fees is a little much. I'd counter-offer with " I'll pay the late maintenance fees and the closing costs, but you will sell it for $1". Or some similar type of offer. Then tell her the alternative is selling it on eBay.

3) Your SIL should remind the owner that timeshares depreciate like cars, unless they are the top-notch ones. The Seller appears to be a little unrealistic about timeshare resales in the current market.

4) Does your SIL live close enough to go for a visit and check out the resort herself? Or take a little mini-vacation? The resort has a nice looking website. She could go and stay for a couple of nights.

5) Does your SIL want to use the resort? Does she want to trade it? Is she knowledgeable about timeshares and their issues? Timeshare ownership is complicated, these days, and getting worse.

Food for thought.
NKN

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
First bit of advice for anything, Google it.

there's enough info to give you at least an inkling. Lots of reviews thru Tripadvisor and others...yelp, yahootravel, etc.

I personally wouldn't touch it. If it was a great place, you (and we all) would have heard about it.

Skied there during college years....horribly inconsistent snow, if any. Condos were adequate, nothing more.

Every year seems like a lean year. They try to blow snow but even when they do, it's aggravating and not fun. More like skiing on ice at all NC ski resorts. So crowded some days that all you can do is make 4-6 runs in a full day. Long lift lines. Actually a bit dangerous with crowds in those conditions. Dated condos abound. I wouldn't take one for free.

If you ski and must drive from eastern USA, go to Snowshoe, WV. If you ski and can fly, go to Park City,Utah or Colorado resorts. If you just looking for a nice mountain chalet to get away, look around Grandfather Mountain, NC or Gatlinburg, TN.

If you're really considering it, visit and look at them...even rent one for a weekend. Don't rely on anyone's advice, sight unseen, ever.

derb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its a nice place on top of the mountain with a tiresome drive up and down.

You can pick up a much better one at blue ridge village for peanuts on ebay. Bllue ridge village is much nicer with maint fee for a 2 bedroom around 570.

brv is a much better choice.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I owed near there and have traded into a couple resorts in he area. I have not seen that one but there are none in the area that I would pay $4,500 for.

It gets tricky when dealing with friends and your SIL could easily lose a friend over a TS deal.

These two auctions are for the same unit and it did not get a bid. Fixed week 25 with reasonable MFs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-HIGHLAN...=Timeshares&hash=item4d17f84f01#ht_5864wt_986

Perhaps you SIL could somehow show the friend that these are not selling at any price and should maybe pursue a deed back.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I own there and thought I gave it back. I mailed them the deed and didn't hear anything so thought it was taken care of. I had never ever been late but I got ill and could not do anything about it. I talked to her again because I got a bill and she told me many owners had walked out but she would try to keep lawyers from calling me. It looks like I owe around $6400. It is a 1br , the week of the Highland Games . This is one of the most requested weeks. It is an older resort but they keep it nice and well maintained. If she would like mine, she can have it if she wants to pay what I owe. I'll pay the transfer fee. It's not much of a deal but best I can do. I'm not paying them any more money and they understand that.

Now before someone accuses me of walking away, trust me when I say I did not want to. I bought it in the 80's and was NEVER late until I gave it back, four years ago.

shaggy

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Any Highlands at Sugar owners out there?

I understand SPM Resorts is now managing this resort. Have any owners heard whether the Board is contemplating a renovation?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand SPM Resorts is now managing this resort. Have any owners heard whether the Board is contemplating a renovation?

Sound like a special assessment is coming to pay for the renovation. Just be careful and take your time and please do not sign any transfer documents. .

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Sound like a special assessment is coming to pay for the renovation. Just be careful and take your time and please do not sign any transfer documents. .

Thanks, sounds like good advice. Don't worry, I'm just nosing around to see if any owners know whether a renovation is in the works.

Last edited: