• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood policies lack consistency between guides [II deposit issues]

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I called around the beginning of September to deposit weeks I have leftover for 2014 into II. The weeks were new purchases (resale) with 2014 use included, but too late for using the weeks this year. There were several because we do own quite a few.

The gal at Starwood told me to call II to add the weeks that way. So I decided to wait until a couple of other purchases closed to call II. I called yesterday to accomplish this task, and the guy said I had to have week and unit number, season, and the purchase date (which I don't have), which he said I could get through Starwood.

So Starwood's call resulted in a guide saying, "We will add the weeks to II for you. You don't have to do it yourself." I told her that is new information and why was I told something different before. She said the person I talked to was not incorrect, she was following policy, but they are happy to do it for me. Sounds like two policies to me.

What the heck?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think the 2nd starwood person is wrong. I think the 2nd starwood person is use to dealing with weeks in SVN and she is following that "policy".

I don't know why II would need the purchase date. They did need the deeded unit number and deeded week along with the Starwood contract number. They are verifying each week and recording each week as seperate weeks (but they still don't show in your account so you can tell them apart and verify that II and Starwood is doing it correctly.

II does also require either the fee or the membership extension to add the weeks.

and yes I think there are 2 policies one for SVN weeks and one for not; but the guides get the rules mixed up.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Well, it's being done because I keep seeing additional weeks in my II account.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don't know why you're surprised. II and SVN are anything but consistent for all, and the reason seems to be poor training all around.

Sent from my iPad

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Definitely not surprised. I have been dealing with it for years now.

I called yesterday to deposit several different weeks into II and confirm which exchange numbers go to which account for older deposits, and I got the following survey from II via email:

What best describes the reason for you choosing an external exchange?
Other, please specify below Other, please specify below
No plans to utilize my Ownership this year, saving for future use No plans to utilize my Ownership this year, saving for future use
Plan to use for a intended future external exchange Plan to use for a intended future external exchange
Plan to travel to a destination that does not participate in the Starwood Vacation Network Plan to travel to a destination that does not participate in the Starwood Vacation Network
How would you rate the overall satisfaction with the service provided by the Starwood Vacation Ownership Vacation Planning Counselor?
Poor Just OK Good Very Good Excellent
Poor Just OK Good Very Good Excellent
How would you rate your overall satisfaction level with your external exchange company?
Poor Just OK Good Very Good Excellent Not Applicable
Poor Just OK Good Very Good Excellent Not Applicable
* How likely is it that you would recommend Starwood Vacation Ownership to family or friends?
“10” indicates “Extremely likely” and “0” indicates “Not at all likely”.
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
What is the primary reason for the answer you provided above?
What is the primary reason for the answer you provided above?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I filled out the survey and got a call. No sympathy or empathy whatsoever from Starwood on the II deposit issue.

My argument was that something should associate the weeks we own with the deposits we make, so if we decide to deposit contract #601234, a lockoff unit, we should be able to get two reservation #'s to add to II, one for each side of the lockoff, if that's how we choose to deposit the week. Or we should have that contract number listed in our II account, or something, ANYTHING, to differentiate the deposits, one from another.

Marriott works great, but he pointed out that I reserve a specific week, then get a reservation #. Well, so why can't I get a reservation # from you? His answer: because we don't assign you a specific week. NUTS! Do you not understand the problem, Starwood????? Seriously. Stop defending your stupid system. He even pointed out that owning one or two weeks is easier. :D

I deposited weeks for this year and have one that says it's a 2015 usage that expires in 2017. How am I going to get that fixed?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I filled out the survey and got a call. No sympathy or empathy whatsoever from Starwood on the II deposit issue.

My argument was that something should associate the weeks we own with the deposits we make, so if we decide to deposit contract #601234, a lockoff unit, we should be able to get two reservation #'s to add to II, one for each side of the lockoff, if that's how we choose to deposit the week. Or we should have that contract number listed in our II account, or something, ANYTHING, to differentiate the deposits, one from another.

Marriott works great, but he pointed out that I reserve a specific week, then get a reservation #. Well, so why can't I get a reservation # from you? His answer: because we don't assign you a specific week. NUTS! Do you not understand the problem, Starwood????? Seriously. Stop defending your stupid system. He even pointed out that owning one or two weeks is easier. :D

I deposited weeks for this year and have one that says it's a 2015 usage that expires in 2017. How am I going to get that fixed?

I completely agree with you. Maybe II might be able to make the contract # visible to owners. They now have that info on their systems and there is no reason they can't put either the contract number or the deeded week/unit number info so it is visible.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This particular person (should have written down his name) said he works with one person who actually owns 60 SDO lockoffs and has the same problem, but he just goes through his deposits one by one and gives him the II request number. I said the number they give to us has changed in the past, and when I question why, they say, "Because we take the oldest deposits first when you get an exchange confirmation because it's better for you." I don't think so.