• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation insurance recommendation?

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone in this group had used a vacation insurance company that was one time fee for the entire year but can't seem to find the thread. With airfare for 4 and the value/cost of a week at WKORV id like to add some peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks!

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would not buy it from Starwood, because that restricts you to coverage for your Starwood resorts. If you buy the same thing independently, you can cover all your timeshares, of all brands.

See the TUG Travel Forum sticky for a discussion about travel insurance.

I buy Vacation Guard Timeshare Insurance and it's about $129 a year.

Last edited:

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am doing an exchange through Interval. Do you think it is better to get Travelguard insurance or use Interval's E-plus for $49.?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Travelguard insurance and eplus are very different. Why do you think you might not make the trip? Insurance will cover you for documented covered medical cancellation and will cover not just the exchange but other non refundable expenses like airfare and/or prepaid rental car. It will also cover for covered weather related cancellations and trip delays. You can purchase insurance that covers work related cancellations or even cancellations for any reason or no reason at all but those types of insurances are generally very expensive (up to half of the covered benefit- so a $4000 cancellation benefit may cost $500-$2000 extra for the cancel for any reason insurance).
Even for a single trip I would recommend comparison shopping and not necessarily going with the one offered by II.

Eplus works best if you are changing outside of 60 days before travel- for example all you can get right now is a studio but you really want something bigger or you are exchanging into resort X but you hope something will open up for Resort Z, or you have a deposit expiring in May 2015 but you really don't want to travel until summer of 2015. It can work for last minute illness, work, or personal things that prevent you from traveling but if you are retrading less than 60 days from your check in date, you will then be restricted to exchanges that are less than 60 days from whatever your currently confirmed check in date happens to be.

VacationGuard's annual plan is now around $159 and must be purchased at the time you pay your MF's. It has a $10,000 per term year limit for cancellations, so one trip to Hawaii with airfare for 4 may use up the entire benefit and then you would need to purchase additional coverage for subsequent trips.

I have never been clear about how they handle an exchange for next year when you use this years timeshare deposit. It is clear that if you use your 2015 deposit for a 2015 exchange trip it would be covered with a 2015 term policy. But the terms seem murky about using a unit from one term for a vacation in another.

myoakley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, tschwa2, for answering my question. We are hoping to visit Andalucía, Spain in the spring, and would like to exchange the timeshare we deposited with Interval for one in Marbella, Spain. The problem is that my husband is in remission following cancer surgery, and making plans 6 mos. or more in advance makes me nervous. It will probably be the only trip of the year, so do you think buying insurance with Travel Guard or one of the other insurance companies recommended on Tug is better than Interval's E-plus?