• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SDO

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is what is scaring us away from mandatory. Sure, making single night reservations at 8 months out appeals to some. My issue is that we prefer to travel for 7 or more nights. My fear is that single night reservations will make is harder to book 7 or more nights. Those single night reservations will break full weeks. These changes tend to hurt the small time single week owners while making things better for people with lots of SOs.
For WLR, I definitely seeing you being able to get what you want via SVN. The challenge is that it is much more costly than what II can provide you with an SDO trade (if the trade is available). If you understand the system and cost, I wouldn't hesitate to buy mandatory -- that being said the rules can change at any time (as you well know, since I see you around the Marriott board).

II see lots of sightings for WLR. Though perhaps that will go down over time as the resort sells out. I could still always buy at WLR, though the MFs are close to $1500 it looks like, not sure we would want to pay that much for a week there since I think we could rent directly from Starwood for close to that price.
I actually don't think you will see a ton of change for WLR. I think there will be little impact for WLR, SVV, SVR and SDO since I don't see many people trading into prime season via SVN. I do see larger impact for areas like Hawaii.

Honestly, I hang out more in the Marriott forum now since there just seems to be a ton more activity there. I am hoping that the renegotiation of the II contract may roll out some rules in II's favor, but I am likely in the minority that any change would go in their favor. Marriott renegotiated theirs as well this year and I worry that they could head down the same road as SVO as far as rule changes go.

-ryan

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the ability to book short stays is going to impact some resorts more than others. For resorts that involve flights, I think it will be less of an issue. So I'm not sure it will be a major problem for WLR, WSJ, or HRA. It might be more of an issue at WMH, WDW, SVV, SVR, & SBP. I could see people just making weekend reservations at those resorts. Not sure about the Colorado resorts.

I can see this impacting the Ski destinations. Book a 4-5 day Ski trip and use the other points for an extra trip every couple of years.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Curios about the difference in value between say an SDO week (that everybody says is a good trader on II) and buying at a mandatory resort like Harborside or Vistana where you would have the Staroptions? Either way it seems pretty cheap but it seems like the Staroptions might be better, no?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curios about the difference in value between say an SDO week (that everybody says is a good trader on II) and buying at a mandatory resort like Harborside or Vistana where you would have the Staroptions? Either way it seems pretty cheap but it seems like the Staroptions might be better, no?

Lots in the stickies at the top.

SDO.
1) Book at resort in ownership season
2) Trade in II with Starwood Preference
Low(ish) MF $1100.

Buy-in cost, 0-2k

Compare to WKV
1) Book in ownership season at WKV
2) Book with SO at 8 months (148k SO so allows a booking of a peak week in all 2Brs in the system (x WSJ)
3) Trade in II
Low(ish) MF $1400.

Buy-in $16-$20k (likely nearer the $20 now).

Or Orlando SVV - Key West
1) Book in ownership season at SVV
2) Book with SO at 8 months (81k SO so allows a booking of a peak 1Br week from your 2 BR
3) Trade in II
Low(ish) MF. $1200?

Buy-in under $4k (likely a lot lower).

or your HRA
1) Book in ownership season at HRA
2) Book with SO at 8 months (148k SO so allows a booking of a peak week in all 2Brs in the system (x WSJ)
3) Trade in II
High MF - $2400+, High Closing Costs and good rentability - You are better off booking and renting for cash and using that cash to go elsewhere renting from another owner etc rather than exchanging.

Due to High MF and Closing the buyin for HRA is generally quite low. The SO benefit is limited due to the rent HRA, Rent where you are going math being so strong. It really only has value to trade for HI or WSJ if you are looking like for like costs.