• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

cancel/rebook

Whoozr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (Bonnet Creek, Kingsgate, Ocean Blvd), Twin Rivers
I want to cancel a reservation and then attempt to rebook, how long does it normally take for the free days to show up in the system?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
a few seconds to 1-2 minutes, at least that has been my experience, provided someone else does not get them first. Which has happened to me.

Many other people here have also tried and failed to pick up a unit at the cheaper point level. Just remember you may lose the unit you have.

Fair Warning.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Used to be a pretty predictable 20 seconds between the time you confirm the cancellation until the cancelled unit showed up in a search.

It's more than that now -- I expect it to show up in the 40-45 second range.

I have always maintained that the probability of someone else getting my cancelled reservation before I do is extremely low. Nor do I think Wyndham's Extra Holidays takes them. I've never seen a lost reservation show up on EH.

I think overbooking (in some form or another) accounts for losing units at rebooking.

Add: Moments ago, I rebooked two reservations starting August 2nd at Ocean Walk. I had a 1BR Deluxe (140K points) and a 2BR lock off (245K points). I cancelled them both, rebooked the 1BR unit at 70K points and took an immediate upgrade to the 2BR LO, then rebooked and confirmed the 1BR unit for 70K points. Start to finish was 1 minute, 15 seconds. Savings = 245K points.

Last edited:

Whoozr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (Bonnet Creek, Kingsgate, Ocean Blvd), Twin Rivers
I didn't have to chance a cancel/re-book someone else must have cancelled a reservation because I just snagged a re-book and an upgrade. Now I can release mine for someone else to grab. Thanks for the information.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I didn't have to chance a cancel/re-book someone else must have cancelled a reservation because I just snagged a re-book and an upgrade. Now I can release mine for someone else to grab. Thanks for the information.

That's the Blind Squirrel Phenomenon!!

divearnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have enough points I would double so that, should you lose the canceled reservation due to someone else reserving it, you then have a backup. My recommendation would be to call Wyndham reservation line and have them do the cancel, rebook for you. Be aware that there are vacation brokers, many of whom who have clients who are Wyndham owners and have access to owner points so your competition is not just other Wyndham owners trying to book into the resort you want to cancel and rebook.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
cancel and rebook

A word of warning. If you are attempting to do this with a 3 or 4 bedroom unit at Glacier Canyon be aware that your reservation will not come back, even if you have a reservations person do it. The reservations people have no idea why this is happening just that the resort is pulling these reservations for larger units out of inventory so they do not come back. I called the resort to ask if they were updating the units this summer and was told they are not. So it looks like either the resort is keeping a waiting list for people who own at the resort or they are selling the stays themselves. Both of which they are not supposed to do but they have gotten away with doing things they aren't allowed to do in the past.

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you! You were one of the lucky ones!

It is always better to get the new reservation first before releasing yours if you can. So you don't lose anything.

Less points spent and free upgrades are always a good thing!!!

Cynthia T. :)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
A word of warning. If you are attempting to do this with a 3 or 4 bedroom unit at Glacier Canyon be aware that your reservation will not come back, even if you have a reservations person do it. The reservations people have no idea why this is happening just that the resort is pulling these reservations for larger units out of inventory so they do not come back. I called the resort to ask if they were updating the units this summer and was told they are not. So it looks like either the resort is keeping a waiting list for people who own at the resort or they are selling the stays themselves. Both of which they are not supposed to do but they have gotten away with doing things they aren't allowed to do in the past.

I don't think this is true I think it's other owners that "live" on the website watching and waiting for cancellations

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is true I think it's other owners that "live" on the website watching and waiting for cancellations

Agree with Ron. The resort has nothing to do with what happens to those units.

Premium units at high-demand properties that are cancelled and re-booked inside the 60-day VIP window are going to get snapped up by mega-renters for upgrade. Glacier, Bonnet Creek, San Francisco, any of the Myrtle Beach summer / spring-break / bike-week dates, and SoFlo snow-bird locations [to name only a few] are in that consideration group.

If you don't want to loose your unit that is in a high-demand property / season, do not attempt to cancel and re-book. It's likely it will disappear.

slabeaume

Reaction score
I've had the cancel/rebook thing fail for me 3 times. 2 were for off season in the Caribbean (early Nov). I very much doubt someone just happened to be looking for those days the 2 different times I tried it. I had a back up plan (Worldmark), so was able to get the days back, but not with Wyndham. I've been told by Wyndham that places sometime over book and when a cancellation comes through, the "resort" takes the unit. Doesn't sound fair, but certainly seems possible.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caveat: I don't own Wyndham.

Observation: Sounds risky without a backup reservation.

George

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Breaks my heart, every time I hear of someone losing a reservation trying the cancel and rebook at the elite levels offering a discount for last minute reservations.

The sadder part is that it is pitched as a feature of buying developer points to attain status, that is rarely available for resale (with some complicated exceptions) by Wyndham sales liars

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt, the cancel and rebook is a gamble. If the unit is RENTED and PAID for, I would be a total FOOL to try to skim some points back. And I would be a BIGGER fool to rent the unit below my cost, expecting to use the rebook with discount window.

If the unit is NOT RENTED, I might try to rebook it ... And my track record is, I have lost some reservations. Lost enough to know it is a total crap shoot & gamble.

When I first started in this timeshare, there were very few people who tried to cancel & rebook ... why? Because the cancelled reservations all showed up the NEXT AM ... not 20 seconds or 90 seconds later. No screen refresh - but after the inventory system reload from the overnight run. And the units rented for FULL point values. No expected discounts.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had the cancel/rebook thing fail for me 3 times. 2 were for off season in the Caribbean (early Nov). I very much doubt someone just happened to be looking for those days the 2 different times I tried it. I had a back up plan (Worldmark), so was able to get the days back, but not with Wyndham. I've been told by Wyndham that places sometime over book and when a cancellation comes through, the "resort" takes the unit. Doesn't sound fair, but certainly seems possible.

If it is an overbook situation, the resort isn't really taking anything, but rather the unit never makes it back into inventory because there was "negative" inventory at the point just prior to cancellation. I'm not sure where the unfairness comes in; it sounds more like a misnomer on the Wyndham booking agent's choice of words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Breaks my heart, every time I hear of someone losing a reservation trying the cancel and rebook at the elite levels offering a discount for last minute reservations.

The sadder part is that it is pitched as a feature of buying developer points to attain status, that is rarely available for resale (with some complicated exceptions) by Wyndham sales liars.

David

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” -George Carlin

I guess George Carlin states pretty well why I should never try to argue you out of your cynical attitudes about Wyndham.

Jim

slabeaume

Reaction score
If it is an overbook situation, the resort isn't really taking anything, but rather the unit never makes it back into inventory because there was "negative" inventory at the point just prior to cancellation. I'm not sure where the unfairness comes in; it sounds more like a misnomer on the Wyndham booking agent's choice of words.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see your point, but I also thought Wyndham inventory was kept separate from other inventory. The resorts that I lost the reservations for were either one of their hotel resorts (Peachtree) or a resort with lots of other companies owning there (Elysian in St. Thomas). If, say, Worldmark took a Wyndham unit, then that's not fair. In this case, Worldmark was my back up, so I just paid cash and got it on bonus time really cheap. The Peachtree resort I had no back up plan for, but I didn't really need it so that was no big deal.