• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using Staroptions for a 2017 request

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the maintenance fees on a 2 bedroom LO at SVV are paid for both 2016 and 2017. When is the soonest a person can call Starwood and attempt to exchange for a January week in 2017 at Westin St. John using all the SO's from 2016 and the additional SO's from 2017 necessary for a week at WSJ. The ownership at SVV is floating. Would the soonest a person could request the exchange be eight months out from expected date of check in?

Asking because if the soonest a request can be made is 8 months out then there appears to be no point of paying the 2017 maintenance fees any earlier than April 2016 if the 8 month out rule applies.

Can anyone clarify or add anything to the above or suggest a way to request WSJ for Jan 2017 that I might be unaware of?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are correct - Staroption reservations can only be made 8 mos. before check-in.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am unsure if you have to pay MF for the following year for SO reservation. I thought I had been making SO reservations for following year using future year's SOs without preparing MF.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am unsure if you have to pay MF for the following year for SO reservation. I thought I had been making SO reservations for following year using future year's SOs without preparing MF.

I would be surprised Starwood would let an owner use future SO's without having paid the maintenance fees first because there would be no recourse if the owner defaulted on the 2017 MF"s . I can't exchange in Interval unless the maintenance fees for the use year I am exchanging are paid first so I would have thought the same would hold true for SO's. If that is not the case then that's a bonus but I find that almost too good to be true.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reserving a January week, higest season, at the 8 months may be challenging. Perhaps the new Phase units will make it easier.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Borrowed options can only be used at 8 Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
You can make a 12 Mo reserv for the next year wo paying fees but would lose res if not paid on time

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can make a 12 Mo reserv for the next year wo paying fees but would lose red if not paid on time

So with the 2016 MF's paid already a float week owner could make a request now for January 2017?

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reserving a January week, higest season, at the 8 months may be challenging. Perhaps the new Phase units will make it easier.

I would have thought February and March would have the highest demand but yes I am hoping the new phase will make it easier

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
No they must be used, converted, deposited w/II or banked during 2016.
You can make a 2017 Jan Res now without paying 2017 fees til later

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
No they must be used, converted, deposited w/II or banked during 2016.
You can make a 2017 Jan Res now without paying 2017 fees til later

So let me get this straight. If 2016 MF's are already paid and the float week owner calls Starwood tomorrow and advises them to bank the 2016 SO's now, the request for WSJ for January 2017 can be made with Starwood at the time of the banking and Starwood will take the additional SO's required for WSJ from the 2017 SO's. As long as the 2017 maintenance fees are paid on or before their due date then the reservation won't be cancelled. Correct?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No - Staroptions reservations can only be made at 8 mos.

Only home resort reservations can be made at 12 mos.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - Staroptions reservations can only be made at 8 mos.

Only home resort reservations can be made at 12 mos.

That's what I thought!....and the 2017 MF"s would have to be paid before SO's from 2017 could be "borrowed" to make that non home resort reservation eight months out? Right?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought!....and the 2017 MF"s would have to be paid before SO's from 2017 could be "borrowed" to make that non home resort reservation eight months out? Right?

No. You do not need to pay 2017 MF in order to make 2017 SO reservation. Since it is not your home resort, you can only book 8 months out. You will need to pay you MF by due date, typically in Dec, otherwise, your 2017 reservation will be cancelled.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You don't have to borrow Staroptions to make a 2017 reservation, you just have to wait until 8 mos. before check-in to make the reservation. You would pay the 2017 MF at the regular time.

You only borrow Staroptions when are going to use them in another year. For example, you could pay your 2017 maintenance fees, and borrow the Staroptions to make a 2016 reservation.

But if you are making a 2017 reservation, with 2017 Staroptions, you are not borrowing them, because you are using them in the same use year.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to borrow Staroptions to make a 2017 reservation, you just have to wait until 8 mos. before check-in to make the reservation. You would pay the 2017 MF at the regular time.

You only borrow Staroptions when are going to use them in another year. For example, you could pay your 2017 maintenance fees, and borrow the Staroptions to make a 2016 reservation.

But if you are making a 2017 reservation, with 2017 Staroptions, you are not borrowing them, because you are using them in the same use year.

Okay I think I get it now. It's not really about "borrowing" a portion of the 2017 SO's it is more about banking the 2016 SO's and then using them in 2017.
Thanks for the help!

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay I think I get it now. It's not really about "borrowing" a portion of the 2017 SO's it is more about banking the 2016 SO's and then using them in 2017.
Thanks for the help!

My George, she's got it :rofl:!!!!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
So with the 2016 MF's paid already a float week owner could make a request now for January 2017?
Jan 2017 can be requested / searched / booked on villa finder at 8 months out at May 2016.

You sshould not need to pay 2017 maintainance until Jan 2017 due date.

You can also have good luck booking at WSJ at 90 to 60 data and 60 to 15. Cancellations open things up.

Maybe make an alternate SO reissue and if something opens you can cancel then book flights.

StT flights this winter were pretty cheap if you are ok with a stopover.

Last edited: