• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Do you think Starwood reads this blog? I have been checking for a two BR for a while now and until I wrote this post above, a 257,700 two BR LO would appear in the online rez section. Now it doesn't!! Coincidence???:ponder:

I spoke too soon, the 257,700 2 BR LO units are showing up again.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Husband and I are going to be on our first trip to St. John March 4-11. We are looking for a snorkeling day trip and are considering Island Roots if we found a group, otherwise Cruz Bay Watersports. Do you have plans for where you would all go for the day trip and what the cost for 2 would be?

I would recommend Island Roots -- they have a new option for a couple. They offer a 2 passenger boat starting at $395 for day plus gas. We used Island Roots who referred us to Catzilla - Love City Excursions, due to our party size.

The Cruz Bay watersports will line up others, but a bit more spendy I believe and in my opinion the extra $100-$200 to be completely ON YOUR OWN is totally worth the experience versus the big boats or larger parties. Be in control, we were on both of our water days and it was AMAZING!!!

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Husband and I are going to be on our first trip to St. John March 4-11. We are looking for a snorkeling day trip and are considering Island Roots if we found a group, otherwise Cruz Bay Watersports. Do you have plans for where you would all go for the day trip and what the cost for 2 would be?

I sent you a PM and we can chat off-line to try and coordinate a trip. We are a group of four. Island Roots has boats for six and if we can form a group of six, it's pretty cost effective comparable even to the large group companies.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1454425239751.jpgah. The relaxing sound of Jack hammers by the beach.

It's like Manhattan by the sea. I'll get the same experience in 6 months without leaving my apartment.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2493ah. The relaxing sound of Jack hammers by the beach.

It's like Manhattan by the sea. I'll get the same experience in 6 months without leaving my apartment.

We got so lucky -- we were at the resort Jan 16-23. They had just started demo on the hotel rooms of that building. We sat at the pool on Wednesday and Friday. The noise was very tolerable. We are due to go back in January and they will be done with 3 buildings, the current phase. We missed out on every single stage of this makeover - from pool, to Coral Vista, to this. The nice part about this remodel is it should be short, and with St John it is always nice to visit the area beaches.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice. If you were choosing to go out for only one "special" meal, where would you go? I visited Zozo's a few years ago and enjoyed the food and atmosphere, but wonder if it would still hold up based on Trip Advisor reviews.
TIA

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice. If you were choosing to go out for only one "special" meal, where would you go? I visited Zozo's a few years ago and enjoyed the food and atmosphere, but wonder if it would still hold up based on Trip Advisor reviews.
TIA

Asolare - For the view and food is very very good

Zozo's - Moved to Cannel Bay Resort and is in an old Sugar Mill. Amazing atmostphere and sunset isn't bad either. They also have this pairing dinner and sunset cruise if you have a larger party and want to spend $$. Food is amazing and atmosphere is incredible and so unique.

We ate at both on our recent visit. We sent our friends to both as well and it was their first time and they all raved about how good it all was.

My wife and I also ate at Ocean362 (Old Zozo's location) at Gallows Bay...food was very good.

A new restaurant Extra Virgin (in old Fatty Crab) was amazing food. Either of these have great food, but our Top 2 would be for a "special" meal.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Best food - having Ted (from Teds Supper Club) come to your villa and cook for you. Always great - and some of the freshest food on StJ.

Last June we had our anniversary meal upstairs at the bar (call ahead and request corner) of Oceans 362. Else - Asolare for the view and atmosphere - food can be hit/miss which is true for all St John restaurants because so dependent on head chefs that change frequently.

For me - special dinner our requires a view. Many good restaurants (e.g. Zozos) that lack view.

Most memorable was our anniversary dinner at the old Chateau Bordeaux restaurant - previous owners - but like many places on StJ they wax and wane.

IMO YMMV

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2493ah. The relaxing sound of Jack hammers by the beach.

uploadfromtaptalk1454959920672.jpgHow many of you have seen one of these roaming the grounds of WSJ.

Ah the joys of vacationing in a building site.

They have removed all the concrete / brick of the balconies to create a more open ocean view. I'll take a photo when I wander by later.

94b1670b5b5370f35f0b3b934280cfad.jpg

8ae33845693d3a2958f8e9cf01bd18c9.jpg

And pre Jack hammer

f8e0bfc06e00d690199a82d5f1996838.jpg

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Seems like the construction there has gone on for years.

Any talk of Zika or stinging plankton (jelly fish larvae...)? How are the mosquito levels? How is the Sargassum seaweed?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like the construction there has gone on for years.

Any talk of Zika or stinging plankton (jelly fish larvae...)? How are the mosquito levels? How is the Sargassum seaweed?

They say on the signs this will be done by 2017. 3 more buildings to Jack hammer.

Zika. Not much talk. More talk of chickenguilla (or how you spell it) employees kids in the hospital for weeks etc.

Mosquito bites on all of us.

We have had a few stings from something in the water. Not enough to keep us out though.

Not seen a lot of seaweed so not sure what that is.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pool Villa -10 guests

David - This was discussed a while ago so I thought about sharing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 62

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David - This was discussed a while ago so I thought about sharing.

still trying to figure out were those extra 2 people are going to sleep for the 3Bd pool villas that do not have 2 Queen beds in one room (villas with sliding wall) -and only have 1 King bed per bedroom (n=6) and Queen sleeper sofa (n=2)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
still trying to figure out were those extra 2 people are going to sleep for the 3Bd pool villas that do not have 2 Queen beds in one room (villas with sliding wall) -and only have 1 King bed per bedroom (n=6) and Queen sleeper sofa (n=2)

Those are shown in reservation system and WSJ villa layout as Virgin Grand 8 people. I think your math assumptions are what Starwoord uses also.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would guess that if you have 10 listed on the reservation then you would not be put on one of the sleeps 8 units.

That works until all families turn up with > 8 at the same time.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would guess that if you have 10 listed on the reservation then you would not be put on one of the sleeps 8 units.

That works until all families turn up with > 8 at the same time.

First sentence is correct.

I follow what you are saying in the second sentence and I think WSJ would say sorry, no room for 10 people. For VGV, one can make 8 or 10 people reservations. I don't think the hotel is obligated to give you a villa rated for 10 people if you have an 8 people reservation just because you showed up with 10. Also, they may not have the 10 people villa because the villas are fixed and WSJ cannot take a 10 people villa to give it to somebody else who is supposed to stay in an 8 people villa.

Having said that, there could be a last minute cancellation of a VGV 10 people villa, they could give you a BV rated for 10 or a CV rated for 12. I assume that would be at WSJ discretion.

In my case, we own two weeks in a 10 people villa but usually there is only 4 of us (2 adults and two kids). I would be furious if they take my fixed 10 people villa to give it to another group because they showed up with extra people. There would be fireworks...:hysterical:

A villa with an accordeon wall upstairs and no hot tub outside is not good. Smaller villas in the main resort resort with limited kitchen space and long walk to the parking lot are not good either...:rofl:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smaller villas in the main resort resort with limited kitchen space and long walk to the parking lot are not good either...:rofl:

Oh yes.

To build a kitchen this size in a unit that sleeps 8.

3570049a04ffca581d4610532518e2d7.jpg

When there is unused space galore. And only 963 sqft in the first place.

62026533a95137cc74e073c4626e2ca1.jpg

7360f1fdb58694b77c2a686f311f21c8.jpg

Can't even get two pans that feed 8 on the stove.

08e9b2c5ce8a7fd70ffc197b8dcd78ea.jpg

And an illegal second bedroom. See the other thread I have on that.

I have nothing positive to say about this Coral Vista 1 bed plus Den. Aka 2 bed in Starwood double speak room.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
SMHarman -- how much longer will you be at WSJ? I want to send you a new camera with an image stabilizer. ;)

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the meal suggestions. Much appreciated.:wave:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
SMHarman -- how much longer will you be at WSJ? I want to send you a new camera with an image stabilizer. ;)
I have a very nice camera with a 50mm f1.8 lens for low light.

I get lazy with shots about irritations in paradise. Or illegal bedrooms in paradise.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I have a very nice camera with a 50mm f1.8 lens for low light.

I get lazy with shots about irritations in paradise. Or illegal bedrooms in paradise.

Irritations? In St. John?? :(

Your rum levels must be running low...

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Irritations? In St. John?? :(

Your rum levels must be running low...
Yes the joys of being designated driver.

And yes I am irritated the second bedroom does not have a window or second egress. That's a fire and life safety issue and should be taken seriously. The fact Mike Ryan is not responding to my calls indicates to me there is not a good answer. The silence is telling.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Fun with Maps (WSJ/St John)

Grab your iPhone or iPad and open the Maps application. Then find Westin St. John on the map. Once you have WSJ on your screen, hit the little “i” icon on the bottom right. Then choose Satellite and click 3D Map. You’ll immediately see a change on your screen.

Allows you to explore the resort, and see the different vantage points. Also, can explore the island.
:cool:

http://newsofstjohn.com/2016/02/09/a-whole-new-way-of-viewing-st-john/

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ VGV Vote (due Feb 21) - 2016 Annual Meeting

Hey fellow VGV Owners...

An important VGV vote is coming up and proxies have been sent out (received mine by email with password access) - so make sure you vote by Feb 21, 2016.

For myself - I am happy with how our 2 Owner-elected HOA BOD members (Robert Werbel and Phillip Schrag) have been handling their duties and well-represented the HOA.

So... I choose Robert Werbel for General and Limited Powers to vote in my behalf.

Also, there is a HOA BOD position open which I voted for Phillip Schrag as he is a great representative to protect our (VGV HOA) interests. I know Phil personally, and I am partly to blame (his words) for him getting on the VGV HOA BOD in the 1st place (refer to original WSJ thread).

So... make sure you vote! No complaining about the VGV HOA if you do not vote. Not voting is akin to allowing SVO call the shots for our HOA.

Philip Schrag
Philip G. Schrag is a law professor at Georgetown University. He has been an owner-elected member of the Virgin Grand Board of Directors for the last 5 1⁄2 years. He has a deep background in consumer protection. He served as the first official Consumer Advocate of the City of New York, and two of his fifteen books are on consumer protection. He has been an owner since 2001. He owns four unit-weeks at the resort and has never rented them. He seeks re- election to the Board based on his having looked out for the interests of owners by working for improvements to the property while reducing maintenance fees. His initiatives have included the freecycle shed, the earmarked fund to pay the insurance policy deductible in the event of a destructive hurricane, the online owner exchange bulletin board, the sail shades at the hillside pools, the water coolers that will be installed at those pools next year, and many others. He has attended every Board meeting and budget workshop during his service as a director, and he and fellow elected director Robert Werbel have written reports to owners after each Board meeting.

He wants to serve on the Board for another term because Virgin Grand is on the verge of three transitions: Starwood’s spinoff of Starwood Vacation Ownership as a new, separate corporation, and the acquisition of that corporation by another time share management company; the acquisition of Starwood by Marriott; and the closing of the Westin hotel and the conversion of its rooms into time share units. Without the hotel’s leadership, some new institutional mechanism will be needed for owners to have any voice in financial and programmatic decisions affecting common areas such as the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. In the past, Starwood has made decisions regarding those areas without consulting the Virgin Grand Board, with the needs of hotel guests paramount. Mr. Schrag aspires to help to design an appropriate process or institutional mechanism for consultation about common concerns among the boards of what will soon be four different time share associations on the property. He will continue to propose low- cost improvements and to resist increases in maintenance fees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.