• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Been to Powhatan Plantation in Williamsburg Lately?

penguin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you know anything about Historic Powhatan Plantation in Williamsburg, could you post comments here or PM me?

Am considering a lockout unit here, not sure of the week, at the moment. What is the season for Busch Gardens? How far are Busch Gardens and Virginia Beach from the property? Most of the reviews I've found on rci and tripadvisor were positive, but noted some annoying inconveniences that could be made. I'd also like to know is it a good trader? In a location like this, do you go for a summer week, knowing kids out of school and trades well, or do you avoid it for the heat/humidity? Appreciate any and all comments.

J

JoeMid

Historic Powhatan

If you know anything about Historic Powhatan Plantation in Williamsburg, could you post comments here or PM me? Am considering a lockout unit here, not sure of the week, at the moment. What is the season for Busch Gardens?
www.buschgardens.com

How far are Busch Gardens and Virginia Beach from the property?
8 & 54

Most of the reviews I've found on rci and tripadvisor were positive, but noted some annoying inconveniences that could be made. I'd also like to know is it a good trader?
Great resort, not a good trader in RCI

In a location like this, do you go for a summer week, knowing kids out of school and trades well, or do you avoid it for the heat/humidity? Appreciate any and all comments.
summer week is the only thing to have if you want to trade it.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you explain why it does not trade well? Is it the East Coast location and an abundance of units in that general area? Thanks.
There is always availability and overflow of condos in Williamsburg, VA no matter what time of year you look. Tons of inventory in "extra vacations" and "last calls". However, and excellent resort to own at is Wyndam for this area, as a points system they have a resort in Alexandria,VA-Williamsburg,VA and are building a new one at Harbor in Prince Georges Country which is an up an coming area off the water in the Wash, DC area. Because its points ressort you can visit these properties just because you are a Wyndam owner.

Skinsfan1311

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 2-BR lockout at this resort, (I'm a weeks owner).

I have a dog of a week, (week 5), but I can't complain because my Dad gave it to me.:D

As far as it's trade-value, I'm sure that you can do better. It all depends on what you want. I've never even stayed at the resort, but my folks liked it just fine.

If memory serves, I think that the MF's are around $670.00, give or take.

I've pulled in many great trades, (mainly Gold Crown Resorts), with it, but I deposit my weeks way in advance. I typically pay my MF's a year in advance, and put in searches a minimium of a year out.

They tried to get me to convert my weeks to points, but there was not enough value at this resort to make it worth my while. I'm also quite happy with the trades that I do pull in.

If you're buying to trade, you'd probably be better off elsewhere.

Williamsburg is a prime area in the Spring, early summer and fall. It's real hot & humid in the summer. The Williamsburg area is a nice place to visit, but not so nice that I'd buy a timeshare.

IMO, once you've seen it, there's not much reason to go back, but that's just me. There's all kinds of package deals going on down there, that include hotel/resort stays, along with tickets to local attractions.

Hope this helps!

Jahosacat

Reaction score
We own 2 units upper/lower for a week in May (not sure of the exact week number) there. We don't travel in the Summer; usually go a little off season. We've been able to trade for some good weeks -Hilton Head in May, Sedona in April for 2 examples. And we've gotten some great units by traveling off season.

The last time we stayed at the resort was May 06. They were in the process of renovating most, if not all of the units. The place was nice and getting better.

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own the 2 BR lockoffs in week 52. We bought when they first started the new two-and-twos and got 52 because that is the busiest season in Williamsburg if it falls during Christmas. The original developer also promised a free week 53 every few years, which did happen the first time. Later, they decided you could only get that week by paying an extra maintenance fee that year. So much for that! When it was free it was worth taking and depositing. Not for a thousand bucks.

We were among the first to convert to points. As PP went downhill in RCI, it became harder to trade. Points don't rely on location or week, so are better tradersl. Plus, you get into II which has a better class of resort and is not tied to Wyndham. We recently did the week before Christmas week at Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando with very few of our points because we booked at the last minute.

The renovation of the resort should be pretty much done by now, and units should have a "new" feel to them. The RCI situation is, in my opinion, political, and I see no reason why PP whould not be a Gold Crown resort.