• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Westgate Owner

drk

Reaction score
I forgot to mention: All I got is a deed; I didn't get a notification of the possibility of rescission, nor any instructions pertaining to rescission.

Is the account number the same as the contract number? The account number is on the "deed."

I didn't get most of the closing documents. I didn't find this out until today, when I received my partner's briefcase.

Thanks again

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's in a HIDDEN Compartment inside the front cover of the binder

Tells you the credibility of who you are dealing with

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tick tock...

I forgot to mention: All I got is a deed; I didn't get a notification of the possibility of rescission, nor any instructions pertaining to rescission.

Is the account number the same as the contract number? The account number is on the "deed."

I didn't get most of the closing documents. I didn't find this out until today, when I received my partner's briefcase.

The single most important detail right now is to get the rescission letter written, signed by all parties involved --- and postmarked in time. Don't get bogged down with or distracted by whatever you got (or didn't get) from Westgate for documentation. You certainly know the exact date you purchased and you certainly know exactly where you purchased. Your letter of rescission need only reference those pertinent details in order to adequately identify the contract / purchase you are rescinding.

Use whatever contract / account number you have, but get that signed rescission letter postmarked and GONE! Use certified mail in order to obtain a date-stamped receipt / proof of postmark. The only critical error you can make now is failing to meet the rescission deadline provided and available to you under applicable Florida law.

P.S. I doubt that whatever it is that you received and currently have in possession is actually a valid deed, since a deed would first have to be recorded in the applicable County before being legally valid --- recording and return after recording generally takes a few weeks. Again however, that detail doesn't really matter at all right now; just provide a photocopy (not the original) of whatever that document is, along with your letter of rescission to Westgate corporate offices in Ocoee, FL.

Last edited:

drk

Reaction score
Got Everything Together!

Yep...Got everything together: Letter, Deed.

I'm sending all out today, the 8th day.

Thanks again.

drk

Reaction score
I sent the letter

Hi folks,

I sent the letter: Certified, Return Receipt Requested.

If they don't "receive" the letter, or if don't refund the down payment, what would be my next recourse?

Do lawyers in Florida take these sorts of cases on contingency?

Thanks again for your advice.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent the letter: Certified, Return Receipt Requested.

If they don't "receive" the letter, or if don't refund the down payment, what would be my next recourse?

Do lawyers in Florida take these sorts of cases on contingency?

Thanks again for your advice.

Relax. You've done what is required to rescind; the law is on your side and you're not going to need to hire or pay any lawyers. Even the slimy "Weasels of Westgate" do not dare to openly defy state law --- and the Florida Attorney General's office always has the timeshare industry in FL within view somewhere on its' radar screen.
Your rescission will be (i.e., must be) appropriately processed and full refund will be (i.e., must be) be issued to you. Westgate simply has no other choice or option.

Rest assured that your contract will be cancelled and your refund will be issued, but also understand and accept that it could (lawfully) take up to 45 days before you actually have that deposit refund in your hands. More realistically, refund issuance will probably take just about a month.

P.S. You may very well soon get phone calls from Westgate, desperately trying to salvage the transaction. Don't talk to them --- don't answer or return their calls.
Any telephone conversation on a contract matter is legally meaningless anyhow; let your signed rescission do all of the talking for you on this matter from now on.

Last edited:

memphispat

Reaction score
Values of timeshare

Almost 20 years ago we were an original owner at the Royal Islander in Cancun. After negotiating with the sales staff we purchased our unit for about half the original asking price.

We were very fortunate that the Islander has been maintained and lived up to every statement and expectation, and, we didn't even know about TUG at that time. As I said, we were fortunate.

Since that time we have stayed at a number of timeshare resorts and even sat through their "brief" presentations, but only after checking them out through TUG. Going in with advance information has helped us resist each and every one of their "wonderful" offers, even walking out in the middle of one pitch just because we could.

Fortunately for you TUG was there to give you direction and salvage what would have been an unpleasant experience. Kudos to TUG and no I don't work for them, just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week

Memphis Pat

drk

Reaction score
I have proof

I have proof that the rescission letter was received by Westgate in Ocoee.

I think I'm home free.

Yes, I am fortunate that I signed on to TUG!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have proof that the rescission letter was received by Westgate in Ocoee.

I think I'm home free.

Yes, I am fortunate that I signed on to TUG!

This is all good. It really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things WHEN they receive your letter. What matters is WHEN you sent it. I agree, it appears you are free of the clutches of Siegel's evil minions. Now, don't answer the phone from unknown numbers for the next 45 days.

Glad you found us, and if timeshare still interests you, stick around, read the forums that interest you. Rent in different systems a few times, and when/if it feels right, buy resale.

Welcome!

Jim