• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

videos/ movies on iPad or laptop

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are traveling to Hawaii in 6 weeks and want to have the ability to watch movies/tv shows on my iPad while traveling. What is the best way to do this. I also have a laptop I could use if that is the easier way to accomplish this. I have a subscription to Netflix but I think you have to have the Internet to watch. I am not sure if the airport has free wifi and I know there is not wifi on the plane. Any help/tips/advice is appreciated

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
we are traveling to Hawaii in 6 weeks and want to have the ability to watch movies/tv shows on my iPad while traveling. What is the best way to do this. I also have a laptop I could use if that is the easier way to accomplish this. I have a subscription to Netflix but I think you have to have the Internet to watch. I am not sure if the airport has free wifi and I know there is not wifi on the plane. Any help/tips/advice is appreciated

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1657

Sent from my iPad

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
THat is handy to know. Still getting used to the iPad, but loving it.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can rent many movies off ITunes store--it does take a good wifi connection to download, and a bit of time (30 mins or less). Then you have 30 days to watch, and once started, have to finish in 24 hours. Works great.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Also, iPads (on airplane mode) are allowed to be played the entire time. Laptops have to be stowed during take-off and landing.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We have 2 iPad mini's that we use to watch movies. Most of the time we'll rent from the iTunes store. Many of the DVD's we purchase now also have digital download where we have access to them for viewing but, to date I haven't attempted to watch one of those while in flight.

Many of the flights we've been on lately have wifi. Service varies and I'm reasonably certain download times are reflective of how many passengers are utilizing the service at any one time. So far the only one I've really been disappointed with has be SWA's service provided by direct TV. Most of the pages I wanted to view wouldn't load or required me to attempt to access them multiple times. I won't pay for SWA's service again based on that experience.

Keeping that in mind, we download the movies we want to watch a couple of days in advance. There's pretty large files and can take quite a while to download. At home it's not such a big problem but, if we're at a resort where wifi speeds can be iffy, it can take a long time. I generally wait until I'm about ready to turn in for the night, then rent a movie and download it. Then it can take all the time it needs.

Even though I carry a laptop, we use our iPad mini's to watch movies. If the person in front of you reclines it can be a PIA to use a laptop.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Fly Hawaiian, they have iPad minis now for entertainment on board, preloaded with movies, music, etc. $15 coach, included in first class.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
ipad

If you have comcast (xfinity), you can use the internet and watch thousands of shows. IF Y OU DON'T have the internet, Xfimity allows you to download many of their movies and programs and then you can watch them WITHOUT the internet. If you have xfinity x-1 platform you can watch the contents of your home DVR. You can also program your dvr remotely to record what you want. There are several other services that you can use depending upon whether you have internet access. It is possible to even watch pirated in theater movies from China if you have the gall to do so.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Has anyone attempted to stream shows using inflight wifi? I have my doubts that it would be very good.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Has anyone attempted to stream shows using inflight wifi? I have my doubts that it would be very good.

I've done it from a private server and it works, but sometimes buffering takes a while. I wouldn't do it using the current airline wifi setup (but the next gen equipment will be much faster) and is definitely not recommended.

Sent from my iPad

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I do this all the time. Do you have iTunes on your home computer? Do you sync your iPad to your home computer?

First you need to record, purchase, or download the movies you want, store them on your home computer, and import them into iTunes.

1. Redbox, using an importer/converter (there is a number of good ones)
2. Rent from iTunes store.
3. Purchase from iTunes store.
4. etc...

Second, before you sync your iPad, select which movies you want copied to your iPad.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so I bought a package (2 movies) from iTunes and one of them shows a cloud at the bottom of the icon, I assume I cannot view this one unless I have internet access. My question is, why would it do that? Was that an option I choose?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ok so I bought a package (2 movies) from iTunes and one of them shows a cloud at the bottom of the icon, I assume I cannot view this one unless I have internet access. My question is, why would it do that? Was that an option I choose?

Click the cloud and it will download. Yes, you need Internet access to download the movie.

Sent from my iPad

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

It gives you the option to keep the movie in your cloud (ergo the cloud) and stream it to your device. Why would you want to do that? To save disk space or to access it via multiple devices.

As Ken said, just click on the clould and it will download it to your device. You need to have internet access while it's downloading, but once it's done, it will be available to watch offline.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I download it to my device can I put it back on the cloud after watching?

Yes, if you OWN it. But if you rent it, it just disappears after a time (48 hours?) after you start watching it. It 'lives in your device for a few weeks if you don't start watching rentals.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, if you OWN it. But if you rent it, it just disappears after a time (48 hours?) after you start watching it. It 'lives in your device for a few weeks if you don't start watching rentals.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1657

Rentals stay for 30 days but once started it will automatically be removed in 24 hours if in the US and 48 hours if elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
If you're going away for a while and want to keep in touch with home TV, buy a Slingbox...and get the app for iPad. Anything you can see at home, even HBO can be viewed anywhere you have Wifi...but you have to adjust for the time difference. In some countries you can't get much in English and get tired of CNN reruns. I love Slingbox.

http://www.slingbox.com/

Brian

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)