• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Summer Bay Houses/ Houses at Reserve (will not be spacebanked with RCI)

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Ok, we check out of The Reserve Houses tomorrow. While attending the promotional tour for the new Exploria Club at Summer Bay, we were told that by the end of this month, the Summer Bay Houses and the new Reserve Houses will no longer be exchanging through RCI. According to both sales reps, only members with Exploria will be able to exchange into the houses. They really tried for 3 hours to get me to put my three timeshares into their new club for $12,000, which would then give me 208,000 club points that I could use for exchanges, hotels, airfare, car rentals and tours. Sorry, but I declined the offer.

I'm waiting to see if any of you who have been to Summer Bay recently were told the same thing. Ok, so if we can no longer exchange into the old or new houses, we are thankful for the 5 or more times that we have had those wonderful vacations with our private pool. :bawl:
Best regards and safe travels to all.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I would believe it. Sounds like a sales lie. I stayed at a resort in the Caribbean 4 years ago and the sales rep was telling people there will be no way to trade back into resort unless they purchase some points. I see that resort in Interval all the time.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I agree with Weimaraner. That is one of the most common lie tactic that the sales weasels use in almost every timeshare sales office. Don't believe a word of it!

Kurt

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
What it tells me is that each house owner would be forced to join the Exploria Club. I didn't believe a word of it. When the Desert Club at Summer Bay Las Vegas was sold out to Holiday Group Club, owners were given the option to buy into their new club. I did not become a member. I exchange my points with RCI every year. Go figure.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I can believe that they will only be selling the Reserves at SB (new sales)as part of their club and they will do their darnedest to get owners at the Houses to join but I don't think they are going to let that happen for less than a few thousand so their will be weeks and points owners depositing in rci. They can also hold back the how and developer owned units so their might be a drop but their will still be deposits.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Villas at Summer Bay Resort

As of September 20, 2014

(RCI # 5995)
Villas at Summer Bay Resort
Clermont, Florida 34714, USA

There are 18 available unit with Check-In Date
that range from 28-Sep-2014 - 29-Mar-2015

Exchange Trading Power Range from 7 - 29 tpu`s

According to an article I read, Villas at Summer Bay
Building 200 is scheduled for total renovation.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer Bay Resort Condos

As of September 20, 2014

(RCI # 3175)
Summer Bay Resort
Clermont, FL 34714

There are 58 available units with Check-In Date
that range from 26-Sept-2014 - 20-Dec-2015

Exchange Trading Power Range from 7 - 43 tpu`s

According to an article I read, Summer Bay
Building 400 is scheduled for total renovation.

*Buildings 500 and 501*
are currently being redone.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer Bay - Building 601 - Registry Collection

Be on the lookout for these luxury
condos coming to RCI in 2015

The Top two floors of Building 601
will be in RCI`s Registry Collection

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Houses at Summer Bay Resort

As of September 20, 2014

(#6884)
The Houses at Summer Bay Resort
are still listed in the RCI directory

Nothing available using tpu`s

RCI Points range from
90,500 -120,500 -150,500

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
... we were told that by the end of this month, the Summer Bay Houses and the new Reserve Houses will no longer be exchanging through RCI. According to both sales reps...

As already observed by others above, the sales weasels with moving lips were likely either lying or mistaken --- and I'd be inclined to bet on the former.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I can only tell you what I have seen over the last few years and how it's affected us, but this is a general statement about timeshare exchanging and not directly to this issue with SB.

What I started seeing years ago was more internal exchange systems that kept better control over those units managed by specific management companies (Hilton, Sunterra/Diamond Resorts, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Marriott, Westin, Festiva et....). The goal seemed to be to encourage ownership in those groups and limit the availability to exchange in.

Over time I'm begining to see fewer exchange opportunities into resorts that were once very easy to obtain. In the past Westgate was a very easy exchange. Today I did a search for Westgate Branson resorts for Sept. of 2015 and came up empty. This is the first time this has happened since Westgate assumed management of the Grand Vista Resorts in Branson. In fact we just returned from a stay at Westgate Branson Lakes that was booked 13 or 14 months in advance.

Bluegreen's Falls Village in Branson would be another example. Exchanging into Falls Village in Branson use to be a VERY easy exchange. These last few years I've seen almost no availability for that particular resort. It's not a resort we have particluar interest in but, because the Branson area is a drive to destination for us, it's something I've noticed.

I'm not saying that exchanges will not be possible but, I'm seeing resort management companies hold onto inventory longer and, it appears they're using bulk deposits of shoulder season and off season weeks while holding higher season weeks for reservations of their points club members.

I believe we're begining to see a shift where inventory control by management groups allows those in the group better opportunity to reserve within the clubs they own and outside exchange opportunities for higher demand weeks or, more popular resorts will diminish.

Then again it's always tough to discern typical fluctuations in the travel habits of timeshare owners vs industry changes. Hawaii, for instance, became and easy exchange when the economy collapsed. It's since become more difficult but, is that due to inventory management by systems or due to higher demand as the economy has recovered?

I use to say it's best to own what you'll be happy to use. That way if all the doomsday predictions of the sales staff come true you won't be to put out. Now I'm of the opinion you can add to that advice, own in resort systems you're satisfied to travel within.

This has become a minor issue with us as we prefer to travel with our dogs when we can but, the systems we own in don't allow pets. So, I'm still looking at exchange opportunities and watching the inventory for very specific drive to destinations, which is why I notice inventory fluctuations from year to year when it concerns resort week availability for those specific area.

Worse case scenario is that we sell off a couple of our weeks that don't allow pets and purchase resale weeks in resorts we enjoy that do allow pets. But I'm not paying $12,000 to join any sort of points program just to preserve exchange opportunities that I was sold when the original purchase was made. Eventually they'll change this system as well and want even more money 7 or 8 years down the line.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Houses at Summer Bay Resort - Still coming up!

As of Oct, 2014

Seen a RCI fall week online this morning
for The Houses at Summer Bay Resort..

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
SkyAuction rentals at Houses of Summer Bay are currently available too, for bidding through tomorrow.

http://www.skyauction.com/action/offer/2451811

SkyAuction sometimes offers RCI weeks for rent. Perhaps Exploria Club is using them to try to bring in fresh sales prospects. As far as I know, there's no 1-in-4 restriction on the SkyAuction rentals either. If you want to bid on a rental week, take note of the fees:

Taxes/Service Charges: $299
One Time Processing Fee: $20
Date Surcharges for certain check-in dates: $150-$350 for the week
Your Bid price: currently at $299 minimum

So a rental here would start at $618-$968. Not actually bad if the dates work for you, with no maint fees, no commitment.

This does not support the claim that people will not have access unless they buy into the club, though, does it?

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
July 2015

I JUST booked a week in July of 2015 for the Houses at Summer Bay... now I have not gotten final confirmation but it went through this far.... 150000 points..... I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited:cheer:.... I have heard only good things about this place and resort.... :banana: and I like having my own pool... my wife, daughter and her family are REALLY REALLY EXCITED.... have I said how much I love Time Sharing.... IF the booking doesn't go through I will let you know..... Dave:banana:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Yep, I knew from the very beginning that the sales reps were lying. I've been time sharing since 1998. I know that many of the reps talk from out of the side of their mouths.

Btw, I saw one of the Summer Bay Houses available on RCI a few days ago for 7,500 points!!! It's too bad that we had just returned from The Reserve last month. I would have taken that house in a heart beat. And, we have a two bdrm unit at Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve booked for next month.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great catch, Dave! We have stayed in the Houses on several occasions and adored each visit. You will have a wonderful time!

Dori

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great catch, Dave! We have stayed in the Houses on several occasions and adored each visit. You will have a wonderful time!

Dori

Agree. Loved the private pool, shuttle to the parks, spacious/clean house and the garage.

If I can't stay at a DVC, this is my next, best choice.

You'll enjoy it.

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Dori

Thanks Dori!!! My daughters inlaws who are REALLY good friends of ours are going to try to trade in there as well sometime this week for the same time..... they have a week contract while we have a points contract.... will they be able to make a trade through RCI? Also since I am doing this with points from the Grand View at Las Vegas I didn't spend over 800.00 for the points side of this!!! I wonder what it would cost to rent one of these houses for a week... Dave :banana:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks Dori!!! My daughters inlaws who are REALLY good friends of ours are going to try to trade in there as well sometime this week for the same time..... they have a week contract while we have a points contract.... will they be able to make a trade through RCI? Also since I am doing this with points from the Grand View at Las Vegas I didn't spend over 800.00 for the points side of this!!! I wonder what it would cost to rent one of these houses for a week... Dave :banana:

It would probably cost you more than $800 to rent one except for off peak times. Owners pay around $1100 in MF's and a summer week isn't going to rent for less than $1000 unless it is a last minute. Trading in through weeks is going to be more difficult than points. Probably about 85% of the inventory was sold as RCI points. Compare that to the Grandview where 60% was originally sold at weeks, 40% in points and then at least 10% of the weeks owners converted after purchasing at weeks and it is just as easy to use points or weeks to exchange. The other parts of the resort (other than the Houses and Reserves) have more than half the inventory in weeks. So your friends might want to grab something in the resort section and then come over to your "House" to hang out.

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I JUST booked a week in July of 2015 for the Houses at Summer Bay... now I have not gotten final confirmation but it went through this far.... 150000 points..... I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited:cheer:.... I have heard only good things about this place and resort.... :banana: and I like having my own pool... my wife, daughter and her family are REALLY REALLY EXCITED.... have I said how much I love Time Sharing.... IF the booking doesn't go through I will let you know..... Dave:banana:

Just a quick update I got my vacation confirmation today for the Houses at Summer Bay Orlando by Exporia Resorts.... could not be more excited!!! I see the 1 - 4 rule is in affect for these houses.... does that include everywhere at Summer Bay? or just have to wait to get an exchange into a house for 3 more years??? Dave :banana:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
The 1-4 rule applies to the particular section of the resort according to its RCI number. We stayed at The Reserve Houses last month. Our last stay in the Summer Bay Houses was last year in January. There are now four different sections at Summer Bay. Anyone can add to this information, or correct me if I am wrong.

Summer Bay Resort
Villas At Summer Bay
Houses At Summer Bay
The Reserve At Summer Bay

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, as long as the resort number is different, you can book within the four year period.

Dori

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The 1-4 rule applies to the particular section of the resort according to its RCI number. We stayed at The Reserve Houses last month. Our last stay in the Summer Bay Houses was last year in January. There are now four different sections at Summer Bay. Anyone can add to this information, or correct me if I am wrong.

Summer Bay Resort
Villas At Summer Bay
Houses At Summer Bay
The Reserve At Summer Bay

I read GREAT reviews of the houses but read not so good reviews for the Villas etc.... Mainly not clean, cockroaches etc.... Any comments????:banana:

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always avoided the Villas, as they do not have balconies. The two other parts that we stayed in the two stories and the multi-stories, were very clean and well-maintained.

Dori

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We have never stayed in the Villas at Summer Bay. As for the Houses At Summer Bay, we did encounter roaches in my bathroom last year during our stay. I was paranoid the entire week. Maintenance did come to spray the house. Btw, we also stayed last month in The Reserve (the newest houses). A huge palmetto bug was in the guest bedroom. We called maintenance around 10 PM and the guy came right away to spray the room. He found the bug under the bed. We were a little paranoid after that, but it was not a deal breaker for us. Those new houses are awesome!!!