• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental cancun - use my home insurance car rental liability coverage?

jasm

Reaction score
I am planning to rent a car, probably from Alamo at the Royal Sands, for two weeks. My VISA card covers collision, theft, damage with $0 deductible. My CHUBB home insurance provides $5M Canadian in excess third party liability insurance for rental vehicles worldwide. I have confirmed with CHUBB and my broker that our Cancun rental would be covered. I would bring the documentation with me. Is there any reason why I would still have to buy Alamo's excess third party liability insurance?

saabman

Reaction score
You can bring all the documentation and paperwork you want but it probably won't matter. They still will want you to buy the per Mexican law required liability insurance. If you don't take anything else they'll put a $3K-$5 hold on your credit card. Hit up the Cancun forum on TripAdvisor for insight.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might be covered, but if the unexpected happens, and you are involved in an accident, you WILL be taken to the hoosegow while the situation is sorted out by a judge during business hours. And Mexican jails are not pleasant places to while away a few lonely hours. Buy their insurance and consider it a cost of a Mexican vacation.

Oh, I suppose that if you want to risk it, PLEASE take the 3rd party liability somewhere and have it translated so that the constable who might have need to read it, can do so.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I am planning to rent a car, probably from Alamo at the Royal Sands, for two weeks. My VISA card covers collision, theft, damage with $0 deductible. My CHUBB home insurance provides $5M Canadian in excess third party liability insurance for rental vehicles worldwide. I have confirmed with CHUBB and my broker that our Cancun rental would be covered. I would bring the documentation with me. Is there any reason why I would still have to buy Alamo's excess third party liability insurance?

Yes, the reason is the purchase of the liability insurance from Alamo is mandatory. This can be found on the Alamo website.

Avis, Budget and Hertz will allow you to decline their upgraded 3rd party insurance and will place a $2,500 hold on your card if you do not purchase their primary insurance. Some of the other rental agencies include the minimum 3rd party liability in their rate and offer an enhanced 3rd party liability coverage that can be purchased.

I used Alamo last winter in Cancun and thought it was a very good experience. I did have to purchase the 3rd party liability but used my Amex for the rest of the coverage. They place a $2,500 usd hold on your card if you do not purchase their primary insurance.

Bill

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
You might be covered, but if the unexpected happens, and you are involved in an accident, you WILL be taken to the hoosegow while the situation is sorted out by a judge during business hours. And Mexican jails are not pleasant places to while away a few lonely hours. Buy their insurance and consider it a cost of a Mexican vacation.

Oh, I suppose that if you want to risk it, PLEASE take the 3rd party liability somewhere and have it translated so that the constable who might have need to read it, can do so.

Jim

That is only partially true Jim.

Like in the USA if you cause an accident while breaking the law you will end up incarcerated. Drunk driving, reckless driving and fleeing the scene will likely be treated as a serious violation as it should.

If you bump into some one and cause damage, the tourist police might arrive to take your information or you might need to go to the police station to fill out forms. If an accident occurs you would call the rental car agency who would facilitate by translating and giving the proper information where needed.

This is why I feel it is important to have a working cell phone with the auto rental agencies number in the contact list. The need to go to the police station can be mitigated by speaking with the rental agency in minor accidents. Before I leave with the car, I add the rental agency number and then call it to make sure it works.

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
their country - their insurance - as others have stated .