• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Luxxe Nuevo - 2 bedroom occupancy limit question

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be a family of 4 adults and 3 children 12, 8, and 5.
Interval lists 6 as the limit. We've stayed there and a 2 bedroom could hold 8 with pull outs.
Has anybody gotten more than 6 in a 2 bedroom villa?

Also has anybody gotten a 1 bedroom and lock off and ask to be put in together as a 2 bedroom and where they able to do it?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be a family of 4 adults and 3 children 12, 8, and 5.
Interval lists 6 as the limit. We've stayed there and a 2 bedroom could hold 8 with pull outs.
Has anybody gotten more than 6 in a 2 bedroom villa?

Also has anybody gotten a 1 bedroom and lock off and ask to be put in together as a 2 bedroom and where they able to do it?

I believe the limit is 6 adults and 2 children under 12. I don't think you'll get 7 in there. I know the 1 BR is 4 adults and 2 children under 12, so I'm pretty sure the 2 BR is 6 adults and 2 children under 12.

If you can't get a 2 BR, then you won't be able to get the connected rooms, usually. In other words, a 2 BR is the studio + 1 BR via lock-off. So typically if they have a Studio and a 1 BR but no 2 BR, you'll end up with separate units. You can always ask/request, but no guarantees.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
7 including children in a 2 bedroom Mayan Palace would be pretty common during Mexican Holiday Weeks

I am sure you can make it work in Grand Luxxe square footage

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
They generally count adults and children 12 and older in the occupancy counts. In the GM & MP, the sofas have trundles under them that work great for small children and the 2nd bedroom generally has 2 beds.

The Grand Luxxe that we stayed in in NV had King Beds in both bedrooms. The bedrooms had chaise lounges in them. The living room has a sofa that makes into a bed but I do not know what size because we did not use it and a long bench that is as long as a bed, but may not be as wide as a twin. It could be tight for sleeping spots. 5 year-old might be able to sleep in a chaise.

Look at my pictures in the Mayan World Gallery by clicking the link below my signature.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
7 including children in a 2 bedroom Mayan Palace would be pretty common during Mexican Holiday Weeks

I am sure you can make it work in Grand Luxxe square footage

I've been told it's not a matter of square footage, but occupancy laws that restrict how many people are in what size room.

One could always call and ask the resort, but I know any time we've exchanged, they've been very strict about the limits.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Email the concierge at grand luxxe. When I checked with them before, I was told it is ok via email for 2 adults and 3 kids under 9 year old stay in a 1 bedroom. I was thinking of inviting a friend with her 2 young kids who eventually decided against going to Mexico

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I've been told it's not a matter of square footage, but occupancy laws that restrict how many people are in what size room.

One could always call and ask the resort, but I know any time we've exchanged, they've been very strict about the limits.

Hurnik- are you talking resorts in general or resorts in Mexico
and Vidanta specifically

In Mexico car seats and motorcycle helmets are not in general use.
so who is enforcing occupancy rules - when we are talking an extra kid or two ?

?

We love going to Mexico
and Vidanta resorts

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurnik- are you talking resorts in general or resorts in Mexico
and Vidanta specifically

In Mexico car seats and motorcycle helmets are not in general use.
so who is enforcing occupancy rules - when we are talking an extra kid or two ?

?

We love going to Mexico
and Vidanta resorts

All I know is that both SFX, RCI and Vidanta told us pretty much the same thing the last 3 exchanges we've done when inquiring about the limits. 6 adults, 2 children under 12. We needed 6 adults and 3 children and were told emphatically that local laws/codes prohibited that many people in a 1 BR and we'd need to book a 2 BR.

You're comparing apples and orange with your car seat analogy.

As I previously stated, call/email the resort and get it in writing what they will or will not do. We were told flat out "no".

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The OP is looking to put 4 adults and 3 children in 2 br. Even though II says 6, they still would fall within the 6 adults and 2 children limit- 6 plus 2 additional children under 12.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thank You

All I know is that both SFX, RCI and Vidanta told us pretty much the same thing the last 3 exchanges we've done when inquiring about the limits. 6 adults, 2 children under 12. We needed 6 adults and 3 children and were told emphatically that local laws/codes prohibited that many people in a 1 BR and we'd need to book a 2 BR.

As I previously stated, call/email the resort and get it in writing what they will or will not do. We were told flat out "no".

Thank you
I figured all exchange companies base the occupancy number on bedrooms
and I have read resort specific information before . I was not aware Vidanta
enforced the limit that way given the square footage in a GL.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

The OP said he had a 2 bedroom Grand Luxxe, so I would think he would be OK with 4 Adults, a 12 year old and 2 kids under 12.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP said he had a 2 bedroom Grand Luxxe, so I would think he would be OK with 4 Adults, a 12 year old and 2 kids under 12.

Yes, that would work since the 2 children could count as adults.

And they'll enjoy the Grand Luxxe. VERY nice units!!!!!

If I remember our room setup the "master" had a King bed. Living room used the sofa (and I think there was a trundle under the sofa if necessary). The "studio" that connects to the 1 BR side (I called it the Master) had a King bed.

IF you get the studio with the little living room side, then you get another sofa bed. There's a possiblity you could end up with the studio side without the living room/kitchenette (not sure how Vidanta determines which configuration you get to be honest. Have had both).

Plenty of room.

You can also request a pack-n-play (?) as well.

huenix

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked a similar question a couple years ago, but... In our GM master suite, we had:

Master bedroom - king bed and fold out couch
Living room - two couches with trundles under each
Hotel room - queen bed and a couch (only saw it through door, might have fold out?)

My math says you could comfortably fit two parents in the bed, one adult or child on the foldout, one on each couch and one on each trundle and at least one more in the hotel room..

That's eight right there. If you had a hotel room with dual queens (twins?) you could have nine easily.

But really, the answer is: call the resort and ask.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas; Harborside Resort at Atlantis
I'm new to the forum and have been an owner at Harborside Resort at Atlantis in the Bahamas since 2001. I just completed my first exchange through II since being an owner. I've been very pleased with exchanging internally with SVN, but I was invited to a wedding down in Mexico and the Grand Luxxe NV was available so I jumped on it.

I'm sorry to extend this discussion even more, but my interval confirmation says "3S" at Grand Luxxe Residence Club sleeping 8 privately and 10 maximum. It states that the unit is a 3 bedroom. My assumption is the "3S" is a 3 bedroom in the spa tower, which appears to be almost 4000 square feet, with 2 king beds, 2 queen beds, and 2 sleeper sofas. Can someone confirm if this information is correct? I'm planning to have 10 guests total in the villa but am hearing conflicting information that some of them may have to be children. When push comes to shove, from experience, can any of you tell me if I can get away with 10? With that many beds, it would be great to keep all my friends/family together for the wedding and it seems like a waste of space to have less than that. Thanks for your help and for putting up with the newbie! :D

Last edited:

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a partial answer to both questions from OP.

Can you get a 1 BR and a studio put together on a lockoff? - Possibly. I'm here in my first week and wanted info on my 2nd week, and the concierge said that they often do not do room assignment until day of checkin. Who do you need to cozy up to? The front desk guys. I'm going on a charm offensive this week to see if I can get assigned to a loft as we have 3BR for week 2 and I'm dying to see them.

How many can you sleep in a 2BR? My week one confirmation said MSuite and we got an end unit lock off in tower 3. The studio lock off on the end unit has a little living room area by the entrance with a pullout under the couch and a 3 seater couch so I assume you could sleep 4 adults in the studio alone. Then the 1BR has a settee with pullout and a couch with pullout, so that's another 4 adults. Once you add the bedroom in, you have full bed sleepage for 10 adults in the 2BR lockoff.

Since you won't know until check in day whether or not you could be assigned to an end unit, your safer bet is 6 adults, but just sayin' you could luck out.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son and his wife are down there this week, too. Their room designation was 3S on the Interval confirmation, but they were assigned a 3BR Presidential Suite (a 2BR attached to a 1BR) with a river/bay/city view in the Punta Bldg. It sleeps 12 adults and 2 children.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My son and his wife are down there this week, too. Their room designation was 3S on the Interval confirmation, but they were assigned a 3BR Presidential Suite (a 2BR attached to a 1BR) with a river/bay/city view in the Punta Bldg. It sleeps 12 adults and 2 children.

Are they lonely ?
and/ or - is this an invit?

Good to know if your bringing the whole family

as was the OP

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they lonely ?
and/ or - is this an invit?

;-) They are on their much belated honeymoon!

**I posted the info primarily for Travel4Fun00100, who had a question about a 3BR "3S" Interval exchange confirmation. Our son had a "3S" unit designation on his II confirmation, too, but did not get assigned a spa suite at check-in. It seems the 3BR Presidential Suite provides a bit more privacy, though, with a full 2BR connecting to a full 1BR suite. I don't how they decide who gets assigned to which rooms? The 3BR spa suite we had last fall can definitely sleep 10 guests. We were told at checkout that we could stay the second week in our spa unit, and we wouldn't have to move over to our reserved 2BR suite at Grand Mayan! We LOVED our GL corner spa suite on the 9th floor!!! And did our little happy dance all the way back to our room!!!

Last edited: