• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dominican Republic

mlpmd56

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic and stayed at the "Watermark" in particular? I prefer Hawaii to Mexico for instance, as I don't like getting begged for money constantly. I also don't like having to avoid ice cubes so I don't get Montezuma's revenge. Sorry to sound so negative but a vacation spent in the bathroom worshiping at the porcelain throne is not my idea of fun. I really liked the Caymans, and LOVED Curacao for the snorkeling. My husband likes to try new places. Any info would be appreciated. Tuggers are the best! Thanks! Marcy PS We love snorkeling and good food......

Last edited:

mlpmd56

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just read on the Dominican Republics website and they say don't drink the tap water. So that says a lot! Any opinions?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Ok, I just read on the Dominican Republics website and they say don't drink the tap water. So that says a lot! Any opinions?

Yes don't drink the tap water. :p

Seriously if you do you will be sorry.
Nobody drinks tap water in the DR.
You need to buy bottled water but that's in every resort not just this one.
And many people survive their trip to the DR including me.
So far never had any GI issues but I always drink the bottled water.

Of course you can always drink the run and coke.

Sullco2

Reaction score
Watermark in Cabarete?

Are you referring to this location? If so, the property is ocean front on a very exciting, active beach filled with wind- and kitesurfers. Cabarete is a sporty, international town with young athletes, fun restaurants and night life and a walkable crescent beach.

The DR is a noisy place--merengue and bachata music is played at high volume everywhere. The beer is good, the rum is great and there's lots of fresh food because the island is an agricultural paradise.

People are physically beautiful and generally friendly. HOWEVER, it you don't have a certain amount of street sense, there are hustlers who can ruin your vacation in a minute. This town is unique in that there aren't many all inclusives and it's a real town.

It's 20 minutes east of Puerto Plata airport but a long and winding route of roughly 2 hours from Santiago airport. So it matters how you travel here.

There are beautiful things to see along the North Coast--even the famous landing spot of Columbus several hours west of Cabarete near the Haiti border.

You need a sense of adventure and the ability to say No in a cheerful way to the vendors on the beach and in town. But with the right attitude the DR is a fascinating place.

Try this website: http://www.activecabarete.com

Assuming this is the Watermark in Cabarete, this website will give you a complete preview of the destination.

Buen viaje.