• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The death of fractional ownership?

Sullco2

Reaction score
Recently Dick Ragatz announced that his annual conference for fractional ownership professionals (March 2013) has been cancelled due to lack of sponsorship.

This seems to signal the end of the line for the industry because if the companies that are in the business can't afford to go to the largest event put on by the biggest consultant in their industry, this would indicate their total lack of confidence.

Is it all over?

geekette

Reaction score
maybe the event typically sucked and it's not at all about not affording it. There are tons of "can't miss" conferences in my industry, but plenty are not worth my time, let alone, my money. Does it mean that IT is going away? absolutely not.

The wording, also, is Sponsorship, not Attendees. Why should ad money be spent on an insiders conference vs out grabbing bodies into the sales office? These are lean times - where would you put your money?

I think you are reading too much into it, but, I honestly do not know much about That Industry so really cannot join you in the conclusion that there is no confidence, nor that it's the beginning of the end.

Divot

Reaction score
Forget new U.S. development, economics don't pencil out. Too tough to compete with the resale market. The Hyatt's, Ritz Carlton Clubs, and Starwoods of the world pulled the plug on new fractional projects and continue to limp along with remaining inventory. Look what happened to East West Partners at Northstar / Tahoe. So much for the Ritz and the Hyatt Fractionals at the resort. Traveled there over the summer and it was a ghosttown. Until attractive financing becomes available to developers and consumers, the U.S. fractional industry will remain stagnant and dominated by an oversupply of unsold inventory.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Think the buyers are taking the election poorly? Have friends in Naples, FL .. they will get over it .. :)

It is fun to google and see what new stuff shows up ... how about this ... http://www.fractionallife.com/news_private_residence_club_launched_on_st_kitts1628.asp buy a place and get a FREE ( almost ) new passport ... money laundering 101 class

My Aviara looks expensive until I compare it to some of these... ouch ... I guess all things are relative.

Greg
ps - happy anniversary for any survivors of HCC (High Country Club) ... we can all get caught up in the moment of things - can't we
ps-anyone picking up any deals in fractional resales ??

Last edited: