• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I want to rent my timeshare weeks.. Suggestions? How?

team2win

Reaction score
I would like to rent my timeshare weeks. I'm looking for any help or suggestions on effective ways to do this.
There should be a sticky thread or regular forum for this information.. :)

Last edited:

team2win

Reaction score
Thank you, I see its from March 2008, over 4 years ago..

I'll make the reading, but I'm sure there maybe new/different avenues since then...

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I see its from March 2008, over 4 years ago..

I'll make the reading, but I'm sure there maybe new/different avenues since then...

Whats missing in the 2008 article is where to advertise..You can have the greatest product in the world, and at the best price, but if nobody knows its there you wont sell a one

I use Craigs list and advertise in the city where the resort is located...i dont know what Id do if I owned something where Craigs list doesnt have a presence..I hear good things about Flipkey and VRBO, but havent used them myself. Others have reported good success using Redweek or the classifieds here on Tug..neither has worked well for me. If you are running out of time, with only a month or so to check in, you can put a notice on TUSs Last Minute Rental Forum. That works, but wont make you much money

I dont use a rental agreement, I like to talk to my renters on the phone I do use paypal and Ive done over 50 rentals so far this year

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Expect the unexpected. Not all timeshare weeks will rent. Some are not even worth trying to rent. Try to have a plan if you cannot find a renter.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Expect the unexpected. Not all timeshare weeks will rent. Some are not even worth trying to rent. Try to have a plan if you cannot find a renter.

Oh and thats the most important thing...if you intend to rent, buy event weeks or weeks in a place and at a time that are in demand

team2win

Reaction score
Whats missing in the 2008 article is where to advertise..You can have the greatest product in the world, and at the best price, but if nobody knows its there you wont sell a one

I use Craigs list and advertise in the city where the resort is located...i dont know what Id do if I owned something where Craigs list doesnt have a presence..I hear good things about Flipkey and VRBO, but havent used them myself. Others have reported good success using Redweek or the classifieds here on Tug..neither has worked well for me. If you are running out of time, with only a month or so to check in, you can put a notice on TUSs Last Minute Rental Forum. That works, but wont make you much money

I dont use a rental agreement, I like to talk to my renters on the phone I do use paypal and Ive done over 50 rentals so far this year

Thanks Ron, that was my point, no exact locations and I guess anybody can pay $14.95 - $50 to list it on a website to TRY to get a rental. Paying for ads could start getting expensive if you have multiple units for rent... so I'm looking for most effective vs just paying...

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, that was my point, no exact locations and I guess anybody can pay $14.95 - $50 to list it on a website to TRY to get a rental. Paying for ads could start getting expensive if you have multiple units for rent... so I'm looking for most effective vs just paying...

Try myreortnetwork.com as well as Craigslist. My resort.com only charges for your ad ($19.99 I think) and no membership fee. I have had good results with both. I used redweek.com this past year. I paid more and got less inquiries. I'm dropping redweek in favor of myresortnetework.com.

If you list on Craigslist, make sure you refresh your ad on a regular basis to keep it on the first page of listings. If you don't, it will get lost in the listings.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly my feelings the whole way around.

Try myreortnetwork.com as well as Craigslist. My resort.com only charges for your ad ($19.99 I think) and no membership fee. I have had good results with both. I used redweek.com this past year. I paid more and got less inquiries. I'm dropping redweek in favor of myresortnetework.com.

If you list on Craigslist, make sure you refresh your ad on a regular basis to keep it on the first page of listings. If you don't, it will get lost in the listings.

Craigslist is free and has worked well, more so for rentals closer to the start date, unless it is a Holiday week or event week.

Though myresortnetwork costs $19.95, I have found this site works the absolute best for me. You pay this fee, and your listing runs through the check-out day of your listing.

I held out for years on using RedWeek. It is more expensive and I haven't gotten the inquiries of other sites that I have used and I haven't closed any deals on this site.

www.vacationtimesharerentals.com is free for up to five listings per email address. I get a good number of inquiries and have rented and sold on this site.

On TUG, I've sold a couple in the Marketplace, but never rented anything successfully. The Last Minute forum, I rented a couple of things a couple of years ago, but nothing recently.

As has been stated; you better have something folks want to rent and it should be priced very competitively. I added Redweek because it has been said many times on TUG, the more places that your rentals are listed, the better. Demand and pricing are still at the top of the list.

team2win

Reaction score
Craigslist is free and has worked well, more so for rentals closer to the start date, unless it is a Holiday week or event week.

Though myresortnetwork costs $19.95, I have found this site works the absolute best for me. You pay this fee, and your listing runs through the check-out day of your listing.

I held out for years on using RedWeek. It is more expensive and I haven't gotten the inquiries of other sites that I have used and I haven't closed any deals on this site.

www.vacationtimesharerentals.com is free for up to five listings per email address. I get a good number of inquiries and have rented and sold on this site.

On TUG, I've sold a couple in the Marketplace, but never rented anything successfully. The Last Minute forum, I rented a couple of things a couple of years ago, but nothing recently.

As has been stated; you better have something folks want to rent and it should be priced very competitively. I added Redweek because it has been said many times on TUG, the more places that your rentals are listed, the better. Demand and pricing are still at the top of the list.

Thank you all for the exact information I'm asking about. When you mention these prices, are they per rental listing on myresortnetwork. $20 a pop just like most places?

At least this will help me narrow down where to put my money for rentals.

Does everyone have their own website as well?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 ts have a yahoo group so can post about rental availability on them to other owners. Lots of times owners bring extra friends etc.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is $19.95 per listing. I get a lot of traffic from this site.

Thank you all for the exact information I'm asking about. When you mention these prices, are they per rental listing on myresortnetwork. $20 a pop just like most places?

I have a website also so that I can link it when I respond to inquiries.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Quote:
"I have a website also so that I can link it when I respond to inquiries."

If I have a website, does that involve all the tax stuff?
Can you still ask for check instead of cc payment since cc involve so many problems?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you didn't mention not sure what you own but if its a name brand like Marriott or Westin the short answer is use Redweek.com, end of story. RW is the best for the high-end units no doubt.

I don't have direct experience but my impression is if you have a independent you may be better off with Craigslist and the others mentioned. Not sure why but that is what my TUG experience reading others comments seems to indicate to me.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

This is true. Before you put up all these ads and/or spend time and money do some homework to see if there is any market whatsoever for your TS. If there isn't all you're opening yourself for is disappointment and scammers.

Not trying to be a pessimist because I'm the opposite, but I am trying to help you set correct expectations. From what I've read, unless like Ron said you can get a super prime time week, over-developed locations like Orlando, Mexico and Williamsburg, to name a few, don't rent and if they do its for pennies on the dollar.

Take your time and keep doing more due diligence here and elsewhere to scope out the reality of if there is a market and where best to advertise.

Good luck.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't have a web site, but I do have my own pictures of the type of unit I'm renting that I send to folks who respond to my ads.

Keep in mind that your success at renting will depend on 1) what type of unit you have, 2) where it's located, and 3) the dates you have reserved. Learn what dates are most desirable for your location and reserve during those times. If you are trying to rent a lower demand week that you were going to use but couldn't, be prepared to take a hit on the rental price. It happend to me in January. My renter got a great deal but it did pay for my plane ticket to visit my family back east. In the end, something is better than nothing. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Quote:
"I have a website also so that I can link it when I respond to inquiries."

If I have a website, does that involve all the tax stuff?
Can you still ask for check instead of cc payment since cc involve so many problems?

You set the rental terms, but fraudulent checks are even more of an problem than credit cards. In fact, a scammer is much more likely to want to send you a bogus check. I think you've gotten the wrong impression about credit cards. The fact is, there is no fail-proof method of accepting payment. The good news is that most scammers are painfully obvious and easy to avoid.

Regarding taxes: you are supposed to declare the rent as income, regardless of the manner you use to advertise them.

The article written in 2008 is still accurate - the basic principles don't change.

I use TUG, Redweek, and Craigslist for every Ad. IMNSHO, Flipkey and VRBO are cost prohibitive for timeshare listings - they are more appropriate for vacation condos and other fully owned properties, rather than timeshares, where you are renting one week at a time.

Last edited: